Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 PM

37,245 posts, read 41,476,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
In regards to service academies, having a guaranteed job (with great benefits and pay) after college is darn motivating; along with the fact it takes a lot of effort to get there in the first place.
And effort to stay there.

Of course, the guaranteed job comes with some heavy responsibility.

Most graduates also end up with graduate degrees, including a hefty number with doctorates. About 2% of USMA grads go directly to medical school. I think if you extend your service commitment they will pay for grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,793,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Oh, they do flunk out. But the ones that do not are bright and motivated. For West Point, the retention rate from first to second tear is 92% and 81% graduate in 4 years. A very small number are allowed to repeat a course. If you fail one, you are usually gone. Small classes, with everyone reciting every day in every class.
Here are 50+ schools with a higher graduation rate.

Highest 4-Year Graduation Rates | Rankings | US News

The point is that military academies by no means have some special recipe to get students who "care". They are selective and only allow students in who should be going to college. Any college that does that will get the same high graduation rates.

As we tell everyone to go to college, more of them will fail, it is simple math. If we want to make all the kids "care" about succeeding, than give them another path to success than college.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 PM

107 posts, read 182,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Many college students are not mature enough to be there. They need a couple of years (or decades) to really come to the understanding of what college is all about.

Also, not *everyone* is cut out for a college education, but parents do not want to admit that their little sproggen isn't going to be the next Einstein, so they push them into going to college when a technical school or simply going to work would suit them much better.
Yep, but in fairness this is the message the MSM promotes in a thousand ways.
Parents aren't immune to propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Welcome to the real world.

I used to teach for a while. One of the biggest mistakes teachers make is they spend their careers angry they had to teach the students they got, rather than the students they wish they had. What class is ever comprised uniformly of bright, eager, attentive students? Only the ones teachers fantasize about.
Or, as noted in others' posts above, the ones in good colleges. TWENTY MILLION students now in college--who honestly thinks that most of them are going to belong there?

College enrollment in 2012: Census Bureau report - U.S. News

Most of it's just a waste of time and money, on a colossal scale.
Sorry if it's un-p.c. to say so.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM

37,245 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Here are 50+ schools with a higher graduation rate.

Highest 4-Year Graduation Rates | Rankings | US News

The point is that military academies by no means have some special recipe to get students who "care". They are selective and only allow students in who should be going to college. Any college that does that will get the same high graduation rates.

As we tell everyone to go to college, more of them will fail, it is simple math. If we want to make all the kids "care" about succeeding, than give them another path to success than college.
Success in a military academy requires more than just sitting in a classroom. Every kid who goes to one is capable of doing the academics. Some of the first year dropouts do so within a few days of arrival when they find they are not a good fit for the school because they cannot adapt to the intense regimentation and physical demands. They have successful careers at other schools. Some develop medical problems that disqualify them from military service.

However, my original post was in response to a question about places where you will see entire classes of motivated, attentive students. At the military academies you will. You will also find them in honors programs at colleges and universities all over the country. I mentioned that.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,820,483 times
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I guess I was just venting. This has been going on for several years now. My dean says to not worry so much about it, that it isn't all that unusual. Guess I should listen to him.

I can't change this semester because we are well into it and everyone knows what is expected, (from them and from me), but next semester I think I'll go ahead and upload the test bank, but not waste class time reviewing it after a lecture. Those who are serious will put in the time to discover the correct answer. They can focus their study time. The questions on the test banks are what I think are important to know, and hopefully things that they will remember long after this class is over.

Someone asked . . . I teach in a very integrated community. In this class, Meteorology 101, the mix is pretty even between Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics. There are high achieving students from all groups and failing students from all groups also. The student-athletes? I've had to talk to the coaches and advisors and tell them that the student-athletes should not take my class because it is too difficult. Almost without exception, every student-athlete believes that they are bound for a major university on an athletic scholarship. It's admirable that they have dreams and goals, but if they were any good, they wouldn't be at a community college and would already be at a university.

Thanks again for listening. I guess I really shouldn't care . . . but I do! I'm touching young lives, and I try to intersperse "life lessons" into my lectures. Things that will help them grow into responsible, contributing, and educated members of society.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:32 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Honors programs.
Teachers KILL to get honors courses! The students actually do the homework and come to class prepared! it's college as we were always told it would be, but unfortunately, these days it falls far short.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 AM

578 posts, read 1,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Someone asked . . . I teach in a very integrated community. In this class, Meteorology 101...
Just wondering, why is your meteorology 101 class so difficult? Is it included in general education requirements? The 101 classes are usually aimed at being an introduction to the subject ... It sounds that the class is heavily memory focused versus critical thinking since you've stressed tests versus writing assignments. (When I took Met 101, it was heavily writing and very interesting.)

Also: not having answers to confirm practice questions is absolutely terrible as a student. It's great to know immediately after you've done the questions that you are either (a) correct or (b) incorrect, then figure out why you were incorrect if you were.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM

219 posts, read 432,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
It sounds that the class is heavily memory focused versus critical thinking
As it should be for an intro course. I have taken lower level intro classes at a CC as well as two universities. The intro course at all three were the same. Listen to lecture, read the chapters, and take primarily multiple choice exams. Every now and then a teacher might throw in a paper or project but it usually didn't amount to much weight on the final grade. Critical thinking and intensive writing didn't come until the upper level undergrad courses.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 AM

578 posts, read 1,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
As it should be for an intro course. I have taken lower level intro classes at a CC as well as two universities. The intro course at all three were the same. Listen to lecture, read the chapters, and take primarily multiple choice exams. Every now and then a teacher might throw in a paper or project but it usually didn't amount to much weight on the final grade. Critical thinking and intensive writing didn't come until the upper level undergrad courses.
Of course you have, and I have as well. Can't get a Bachelor's otherwise.

The intro classes that I've taken that were rote memorization were either 100% math or in the medical route. Other intro to science classes did have tests, but had a large focus on class participation, projects and in-class experiments.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,361,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I guess I was just venting. This has been going on for several years now. My dean says to not worry so much about it, that it isn't all that unusual. Guess I should listen to him.

I can't change this semester because we are well into it and everyone knows what is expected, (from them and from me), but next semester I think I'll go ahead and upload the test bank, but not waste class time reviewing it after a lecture. Those who are serious will put in the time to discover the correct answer. They can focus their study time. The questions on the test banks are what I think are important to know, and hopefully things that they will remember long after this class is over.

Someone asked . . . I teach in a very integrated community. In this class, Meteorology 101, the mix is pretty even between Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics. There are high achieving students from all groups and failing students from all groups also. The student-athletes? I've had to talk to the coaches and advisors and tell them that the student-athletes should not take my class because it is too difficult. Almost without exception, every student-athlete believes that they are bound for a major university on an athletic scholarship. It's admirable that they have dreams and goals, but if they were any good, they wouldn't be at a community college and would already be at a university.

Thanks again for listening. I guess I really shouldn't care . . . but I do! I'm touching young lives, and I try to intersperse "life lessons" into my lectures. Things that will help them grow into responsible, contributing, and educated members of society.
I definitely would NOT upload the test bank, especially if it is based, in part, from your textbook publisher. Could be troublesome. Some athletes do the cc route because of low SATs and/or to get a decent GPA for transfer. In any case, I do understand your frustration - I have already lost 2 students (of 20 in a program) for failing grades. Some are just going to fail and probably should, but you can't lower your course standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities