Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times

Advertisements

UTEP in El Paso accepts 100% of it's applicants --- yet it's ranked higher than Harvard in national rankings of universities. So much for "legacy" and "Ivy League".

UTEP Climbs to #7 in National University Rankings - UTEP News - University Communications

The University, which begins its 2013 fall semester today, is ranked between Stanford (#6) and Harvard (#8).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,817,653 times
Honestly the policy towards legacies differs so greatly from college to college that it is hard to have a general conversation about IMO. That said, I would say that (in a very loose way) there is not enough of them at most campuses to be concerned.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Yep - there are so few of them, they really don't make a difference (or warrant concern on my end).

Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,354,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
UTEP in El Paso accepts 100% of it's applicants --- yet it's ranked higher than Harvard in national rankings of universities. So much for "legacy" and "Ivy League".

UTEP Climbs to #7 in National University Rankings - UTEP News - University Communications

The University, which begins its 2013 fall semester today, is ranked between Stanford (#6) and Harvard (#8).
"The University of Texas at El Paso has broken into the Top 10 of a national ranking focused on “true public interest” and based on social mobility, research and community service. Washington Monthly announced today that UTEP will be rated #7 overall in its 2013 College Rankings to be published Sept. 4. The University, which begins its 2013 fall semester today, is ranked between Stanford (#6) and Harvard (#8)."

That's a pretty specialized ranking. Odds are Harvard ranks very highly in MANY other areas that UTEP doesn't even touch.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM

5,523 posts, read 8,782,545 times
Legacy amissions, like affirmtive action admits, are only an issue at the most desirable and selective colleges, maybe the top two or three dozen in the country. But at these type of schools there are always far more qualified students than admissions knows what to do with--students with impressive, even extraordinary application packages, and who still just don't get in. So I think it's impossible to say that the legacy admit took someone's "spot." At schools like these, nobody has a spot. People who blame legacies, or affirmative action, or football players because their kids didn't get into Harvard just don't want to face the fact that these schools ahave to make some tough choices and sometimes their kid just didn't make the cut.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post

That's a pretty specialized ranking. Odds are Harvard ranks very highly in MANY other areas that UTEP doesn't even touch.
FYI, Washington Monthly is a very liberal publication that is highly critical of college rankings and how they perpetuate elitist institutions that cater to the wealthy classes. Their ranking is meant to be a parody of rankings, how if you change the criteria to things beyond SATs, class ranking, funding, etc., the results can vastly differ.

Hundreds of organizations do the same and you can find just about any organization ranked in the top 10 or 25, which would include some elite colleges by adjusting the criteria that your organization is very strong at.

Trust me, no staffer at Washington Monthly would send their child to UTEP over Georgetown or U. of Virginia or Maryland.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Legacy amissions, like affirmtive action admits, are only an issue at the most desirable and selective colleges, maybe the top two or three dozen in the country. But at these type of schools there are always far more qualified students than admissions knows what to do with--students with impressive, even extraordinary application packages, and who still just don't get in. So I think it's impossible to say that the legacy admit took someone's "spot." At schools like these, nobody has a spot. People who blame legacies, or affirmative action, or football players because their kids didn't get into Harvard just don't want to face the fact that these schools ahave to make some tough choices and sometimes their kid just didn't make the cut.
You'd be surprised how much legacies affect admissions at lesser ranked schools. Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, John Hopkins, and similar admissions committees have cover to reject legacies because it is doubtful that any one alumni has that much influence, they have huge endowments and funds to help poor and middle class students, competition is brutal at the top of the rankings (so they really need to get the very best students), they have way more scrutiny for diversity (ethnic and geographic), have specific skills they need for national prominent programs (sports, music, drama, etc.), and they would have to turn down very strong candidates to accept a legacy that would not get in on their own.

The admissions committees at private schools at good, but lesser ranked schools just don't have the same luxuries. Particularly funding. If they don't have the funds the give aid to the borderline poor or middle class students, it is highly unlikely they will attend. Legacies are pre-sold on the school and are more likely to attend then the general applicant pool. It is much harder for smaller privates to turn away legacies.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM

107 posts, read 181,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
"The University of Texas at El Paso has broken into the Top 10 of a national ranking focused on “true public interest” and based on social mobility, research and community service. Washington Monthly announced today that UTEP will be rated #7 overall in its 2013 College Rankings to be published Sept. 4. The University, which begins its 2013 fall semester today, is ranked between Stanford (#6) and Harvard (#8)."

Thanks. The Washington Monthly ranking is one of the kookier rankings out there.
It's next to meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
You'd be surprised how much legacies affect admissions at lesser ranked schools. Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, John Hopkins, and similar admissions committees have cover to reject legacies because it is doubtful that any one alumni has that much influence, they have huge endowments and funds to help poor and middle class students, competition is brutal at the top of the rankings (so they really need to get the very best students), they have way more scrutiny for diversity (ethnic and geographic), have specific skills they need for national prominent programs (sports, music, drama, etc.), and they would have to turn down very strong candidates to accept a legacy that would not get in on their own.

The admissions committees at private schools at good, but lesser ranked schools just don't have the same luxuries. Particularly funding. If they don't have the funds the give aid to the borderline poor or middle class students, it is highly unlikely they will attend. Legacies are pre-sold on the school and are more likely to attend then the general applicant pool. It is much harder for smaller privates to turn away legacies.
True enough and relevant too

Old 10-23-2013, 05:05 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,910,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
College admissions is a zero-sum game. Every legacy admit is one less middle class or poor admit. I don't like legacy admissions as it perpetuates social and economic inequality. From the college's standpoint, I understand it since legacy admits = more donations in the present and future.
I was a legacy AND poor kid...

Back when I worked in undergrad admissions at the school I was a legacy at, your parents or grandparents being alumni was worth the same as being a state resident in an under-represented county, or 100 points on the 1600-scale SAT, or 2 points on the ACT, or 0.1 GPA, or being an under-represented minority. Having an aunt/uncle/sibling alum was worth half that (sibling might have been worth the full point, I don't know).

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,417,000 times
Isn't this the reason that they came up with affirmative action for schools? Kids get extra points or something if their parents went to the school? I think it is unfair, but that's why I decided to go to a well-known school for my Master's degree LOL. I don't want to hinder my kids.

If you can't beat em...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities