Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times

Advertisements

The names of 11 public Universities in the U.S. with the lowest graduation rate.

According to this article they don't do any worse then some of their private counterparts that weren't named. The lowest grad rate with 4% was NOLA. Next was a univercity in D.C.. It was followed by 3 Ohio universities, two Texas universities, two in Oklahoma, and one in Indiana. The universiity with the highest grad rate of 16% is in Maryland.

I don't doubt this. I see too many adults in my town who have no basic math or reading skills. When I say basic I mean they cannot use a grade school ruler; I am dumbstruck. How can one earn a CNA license and have few math skills? We depend upon these people to care for our seniors at home and in nursing facilities.

11 Public Universities with the Worst Graduation Rate | The Fiscal Times .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
\The lowest grad rate with 4% was NOLA.
Nope... the city is not the college.
Southern University is the worst.

" ...and dropouts include students who transfer to other schools" really skews things too.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Those are all schools that serve a lot of students who:

1. Do not live on campus and/or
2. Are low income and/or
3. Are not full time (usually because they are working, sometimes working parents) and/or
4. Are motivated to get degrees but not necessarily highly prepared academically

Students with one or more of these characteristics are more likely to drop out and come back after a few years, or transfer credits elsewhere (or arrive there with credits attained elsewhere), or jump between part time and full time taking many years to complete degrees, etc.

Graduation rates are measured based on the traditional college experience, so they count the number of people who are enrolled on a certain date and see who has graduated from the same institution 6 years later. For these types of students, that is not the best way to count. These are not usually traditional students.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
It's interesting. I read all these "alarming" threads about the dumbing down of American Education. I think the situation is the opposite. Today it is A LOT TOUGHER to get into competitive colleges than it was back in 1979 when I applied. You could probably get into UCLA with a 3.5 back then. No way that will go today - even with the inflated GPAs due to AP courses and such.

Back then, the biggest concern was financing college; while today that is still a concern, my biggest concern is ensuring my kids keep up the academics (and other extracurricular activities) to be positioned to apply to these colleges.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM

26,741 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
I don't doubt this. I see too many adults in my town who have no basic math or reading skills.
Most 4 year universities and nearly all community colleges have placement exams in English and math. If you're placed into a remedial class, you have to pass it in 2 semesters, or you're out. And you receive no credit for those classes .

Other than the two regional campuses of Kent State University (and Kent State is a top ranked public university), I've never heard of the other universities on this list. And a red flag for any school would be a 90% acceptance rate.

Last edited by CA4Now; 10-20-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I might have missed it, but I only saw one Texas university. It's an HBCU that mostly serves blacks and Hispanics. Most of them probably came from economically disadvantaged families. For-profits also explain away their low graduation rates with the types of students they "serve." Many times, the large number of remedial courses some students have to take is the main cause of them dropping out. Some students have to go through 3 levels of math just to get to college algebra. The system probably needs to be changed to a semester of intense tutoring to get the student up to speed instead of putting him/her through a few levels of remedial courses. Some students will never get up to speed and will drop or flunk out, but at least they got a chance to try.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
A relative of mine did not "try" too hard in high school. She had a dismal GPA. She took her SATs and got 1200+ (old system). She was rejected from the U of OK as an in-state student b/c she was not working up to her ability. (I'm told this is what she was told.) She went to one of the colleges on that list for a year, b/c they would give her a chance. Then she transferred to OU where she graduated. I'd bet there are a lot of stories out there like hers.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
The names of 11 public Universities in the U.S. with the lowest graduation rate.

According to this article they don't do any worse then some of their private counterparts that weren't named. The lowest grad rate with 4% was NOLA. Next was a univercity in D.C.. It was followed by 3 Ohio universities, two Texas universities, two in Oklahoma, and one in Indiana. The universiity with the highest grad rate of 16% is in Maryland.

I don't doubt this. I see too many adults in my town who have no basic math or reading skills. When I say basic I mean they cannot use a grade school ruler; I am dumbstruck. How can one earn a CNA license and have few math skills? We depend upon these people to care for our seniors at home and in nursing facilities.

11 Public Universities with the Worst Graduation Rate | The Fiscal Times .
There was a time when some of those were good colleges --- Kent State and Purdue for example were once respected universities. Not any longer.

UTEP in El Paso has no academic entrance requirements, has a large number of students in remedial courses yet is now ranked higher than Harvard which not so long ago was considered to be a good college. With UTEP now above Harvard in ranking, there is absolutely no excuse to spend many thousands on college --- UTEP is definitely affordable.

UTEP Climbs to #7 in National University Rankings - UTEP News - University Communications

The University, which begins its 2013 fall semester today, is ranked between Stanford (#6) and Harvard (#8).

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/coll...as-el-paso.htm

•Percent of Applicants Admitted: 100%

100% of applicants are accepted --- yet this college is ahead of Harvard now.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
^^First, as pointed out earlier, it is a couple of branch campuses of Kent State, not KSU at Kent, that are on that list. Perhaps some students start out there and then transfer to KSU, Kent? Who knows? Many of the Penn State campuses are set up like that, but I don't see any of them on that list. ??

Secondly, UTEP is not ranked #7 academically. It's some ranking of " “true public interest” and based on social mobility, research and community service.". I wouldn't get up in arms about this.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Most of you have picked up on the two variables they all share. There's another one: many of them, whether officially and intentionally or not, also function as a combination Community College and four year institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities