Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM

164 posts, read 244,183 times

Advertisements

i'm currently a cj major and my concentration is law enforcement because i want to be a detective, if the academy doesnt work out, i thought about probation officer but its a underpaid job. would i have to go back to school for corrections or i can still use this degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,396,553 times
Depends on the criteria for your local area.
Check with them.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 PM

thank you

Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,509,145 times
Yes, it depends. I've seen that some social work type jobs in criminal justice will specifically say that law enforcement, administration of justice, and police science degrees are not acceptable. It's because these don't focus as much on the behavioral sciences. Acceptable degrees I've seen listed: criminal justice, psychology, sociology, social work, counseling, human services, behavioral science, and closely related degrees. I've gotten interviews for parole and probation with my social science degree which was a combination of criminal justice, psychology, and sociology. If it were a social science degree that focused on political science, economics, and/or history, I probably wouldn't have gotten those interviews.

A concentration in corrections is usually acceptable, but it's not required. If you only have a concentration in law enforcement, then you'll probably be okay since your degree is in CJ.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 AM

12,114 posts, read 23,375,101 times
No, you will not have to get another degree to be a PO. I'm not sure what you mean by the academy "not working out." In quite a few probabtion agencies POs are academy graduates, carry firearms, make arrests, etc.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM

It depends on the state. Some states will accept associate's degrees while others will require bachelor's degrees. In Texas, parole and probation officers are mostly social workers (not licensed social workers; it's just the kind of work they do). They go through training, but it's not the police academy, and they aren't required to be licensed peace officers. They can carry guns if they pass a firearms proficiency test (they couldn't not too long ago), but it's up to the agency whether or not they want their probation officers to carry guns. The parole officers for the state do carry guns.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM

219 posts, read 432,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahprints View Post
i'm currently a cj major and my concentration is law enforcement because i want to be a detective, if the academy doesnt work out, i thought about probation officer but its a underpaid job. would i have to go back to school for corrections or i can still use this degree?
You are over thinking this. You have a CJ degree. The concentration is meaningless and neither provides an advantage for either career path.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
You are over thinking this. You have a CJ degree. The concentration is meaningless and neither provides an advantage for either career path.
Rep. That was nice and concise. LOL. However, it is important to at least have a closely related degree for parole/probation in some states.

Quote:
Bachelor's degree conferred by an institution of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Major course work in Criminal Justice, Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, or Sociology preferred.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/Division...igibility.html

Quote:
EDUCATION ~ SKILLS ~ EXPERIENCE: Required - Bachelor’s degree in a behavioral science (i.e. criminology, law, social work, psychology, or sociology) from an accredited college, or university recognized by the Texas Higher Education Board. One year of experience in a social service agency. One-year graduate study in criminology, law, social work, psychology or sociology may be substituted for the one-year social service agency experience requirement.
http://www.tjjd.texas.gov/aboutus/jo...D=5bu2fBl+GwQ=

Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No, you will not have to get another degree to be a PO. I'm not sure what you mean by the academy "not working out." In quite a few probabtion agencies POs are academy graduates, carry firearms, make arrests, etc.
what i mean by not working out is if i dont meet the physical requirements and psychological.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 PM

thanks everyone for the helpful replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities