Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM

550 posts, read 966,558 times

Advertisements

I find it hard to believe that some of the schools warren zee mention above, in particular, Ohio State, are on the same overall undergraduate academic playing field as Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
I find it hard to believe that some of the schools warren zee mention above, in particular, Ohio State, are on the same overall undergraduate academic playing field as Michigan.

Michigan is a great school, but it really depends on program. I went to UW for grad school, my program was great. Others, more middling. tOSU and Michigan I'm sure have both strengths and weaknesses.

No doubt though (to me) that Michigan and Northwestern, overall academically, are the better of the B10 undergrad programs.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,790,524 times
Your GPA number is less informative than your class percentile rank. For instance, in my town kids earn extra points in the GPA for honors and AP courses, yielding GPAs over 4.0. The highest GPA possible is a 4.4. Therefore, in my town, a GPA of 3.9 might be only top 25th percentile, whereas the top fifth percentile is a GPA of over 4.2. If your class percentile rank is top 5th percentile, your standardized test scores are 95th% or higher, and you have shown leadership or excelled in a particular sport, instrument, or extracurricular activity, then you could consider applying to top tier schools, like Ivy league, Stanford, MIT. If you qualify for affirmative action, you would be considered if your qualifications are about 85% of that of non-affirmative action candidates. None of the Ivy league schools are tremendous party/sports schools, although people do go to the basketball and football games, and there can be plenty of partying on the weekends, if that's what you are looking for.

If you're planning for college, what you really need to be thinking about is how you want to earn a living after college, where and how to get the best training for that career, and if money is an issue, how you're going to pay for it without going deeply into debt. Proximity (or distance from) home is also an issue. The absolute last consideration is the Ra-Ra Sis Boom Ba college "spirit". You can get that very cheaply for the price of admission at your local college football stadium. But if what you want is a big school, with traditional big sports programs (football, basketball), that has a wide variety of academic programs and is considered selective, look at Michigan, UNC, Penn State, U of Wisconsin, Ohio State, U Texas Austin, U Conn, U of Washington. You would be looking at the flagship schools, of course, not a branch campus. And be prepared to pay full ticket, out of state tuition.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM

67 posts, read 189,265 times
What I would like to do after college:

-Astronomer
-Biologist
-aerospace engineer

OR really anything science related, I still am not 100% on anything though i just know it has to relate to science.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
What I would like to do after college:

-Astronomer
-Biologist
-aerospace engineer

OR really anything science related, I still am not 100% on anything though i just know it has to relate to science.

Michigan

Old 11-01-2013, 02:02 PM

550 posts, read 966,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
michigan
Check out which school comes in at #5:

Best college game-day atmosphere: We have a champion!

Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,238,219 times
Quote:

I'm not using Michigan as the academic gold standard of anything. Who said I was?

I merely gave the poster several good schools with a lot of "spirit". That's what he asked for.
OSU and Syracuse are also highly competitive universities that are full of school spirit.

Penn State is a bit less competitive and WVU could be a good safety school

Apparently the OP agrees, as he sent me a thank you note and gave me rep. I answered his question, not mine.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Check out which school comes in at #5:

Best college game-day atmosphere: We have a champion!

I don't trust any poll that doesn't have Wisconsin #1

Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
So when I graduate from high school I would like to go to a school with good spirit (High basketball/football/baseball game turnout) good academics (I have a 3.89 gpa and not sure of my ACT, but in sure it will be AT VERY LEAST 28) and a kind of lively place (no missisipi or wyoming)
Thanks for your help!
Liberty

Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
Unfortunately, good academics and school spirit only narrows it down to a thousand or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities