Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 AM

493 posts, read 981,516 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in May 2011 and got a job that I am happy with and really enjoy. Since then I have gone to a couple of conferences and taken some classes that have kind of given me the itch to go back to school part time and get a Masters in Computer Science. It would allow me to persue additional opportunities in the future, although for right now I am actually really happy with my job and wouldn't immediately seek out different employment if I did get a graduate degree.

There are two people at my company that have Masters, but they both went business route with one getting a MBA, and the other getting a Masters in Engineering Management. My problem is that I really have no desire for business/management. I love programming and software engineering.

I also noticed that a lot of Masters programs say they are good for people new to the field, i.e. your Bachelors was in a different field and you are switching over to CS. I am a little worried that since I already have a BS in CS that the program will be too repetitive.

I also think I would like to go into academia at some point, but only after I have spent a bit more time actually developing applications; I have taught two classes part time as an adjunct, but I know that most schools would require a Doctorate.

This leaves me with a few points of debate:

1) Would a Masters in the same field as my current experience add anything to my repertoire?
2) Would it be feasible to pursue a Doctorate at a later point if I so desired and just went with a Masters now?
3) Are online programs (at accredited Universities) truly a viable option? There are only two schools within driving distance of my current job that I could go to for a Masters in CS, considering online Masters programs would greatly diversify my options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,940 times
My son graduated the same year you did with CS degree from UT. He wants to get his masters eventually.

1) Yes, it will make you more competitive should you go looking. It will also help, you should decide to, move up within any company.
2) Yes.
3) I would they would so.

(I love CS majors. They always know how to spell, punctuate, and use capital letters when appropriate.)

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default Don't get confused.

An MBA has nothing to do with management.
I have one and have never had a management job.
I also have 2 engineering degrees (BS, MS).

1. Don't go into debt for your education.

2. Get the MBA.
When the business types are dumping on you (and your project) you will be able to fight back using their terminology.
Understanding accounting is a good thing®.
Learning about organization behavior/dynamics is useful now matter what your job.
Microeconomics is intellectually interesting. Macro not so much.
Way better on your resume than a MS Computer Science.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post

I also think I would like to go into academia at some point, but only after I have spent a bit more time actually developing applications; I have taught two classes part time as an adjunct, but I know that most schools would require a Doctorate.
You can teach at a community college with the Masters, but if you want "academia" you need a Ph.D. It is the only way to become "one of them".

Unless you want academia now, or in the near future, do not go to graduate school. Do not go to graduate school unless you have a solid, concrete, reason to do so (and no, the potential for making more money is not a solid reason, seriously). Only get your Masters if you want to do research, be key member of a research team, or in general wanting to have your "hypothetical" ideas being taken seriously. Other than that, you have no need for graduate school, will only waste your time and money, and will take a seat away from someone who legitimately wants to be there.

Quote:
1) Would a Masters in the same field as my current experience add anything to my repertoire?
Unless your Masters program has a thesis/research or advanced field-placement component, the answer is no. It will be just another feather in your hat for the most part until you gain more, and more, work experience.

Quote:
2) Would it be feasible to pursue a Doctorate at a later point if I so desired and just went with a Masters now?
Yes. But keep in mind that some programs require you to still take the course work (1 - 2 years) prior to entering into your research and other programs do not accept students who already possess a Masters as Ph.D. candidates.

Quote:
3) Are online programs (at accredited Universities) truly a viable option? There are only two schools within driving distance of my current job that I could go to for a Masters in CS, considering online Masters programs would greatly diversify my options.
If you have the time outside of work to participate in "class" and do homework, than yes.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:10 PM

410 posts, read 398,705 times
- Yes, undoubtedly (assuming you go to a school with reputable C.S curriculum), you will add more "depth" to your repertoire.

- Yes, of course. However, if you go to a different school, you might be asked to repeat a course or two.

- I prefer Brick and Mortar schools however if it isn't feasible, finding a online program shouldn't be a problem. Try one of the top 50 C.S programs and please stay away from "for-profit" schools.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM

493 posts, read 981,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
(I love CS majors. They always know how to spell, punctuate, and use capital letters when appropriate.)
That may be my second major more so, I double majored in Computer Science and Creative Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
An MBA has nothing to do with management.
I have one and have never had a management job.
I also have 2 engineering degrees (BS, MS).

1. Don't go into debt for your education.

2. Get the MBA.
When the business types are dumping on you (and your project) you will be able to fight back using their terminology.
Understanding accounting is a good thing®.
Learning about organization behavior/dynamics is useful now matter what your job.
Microeconomics is intellectually interesting. Macro not so much.
Way better on your resume than a MS Computer Science.
The problem is my passion is really more on the technical side. I have very little desire to "rise through the ranks" of management if that means giving up coding. I have taken some extra courses (Dale Carnegie mostly) and consider myself versed although not masterful of business and accounting. I am keeping the option of pursuing an MBA open, but spending that amount of time and money on something that I have little actual interest in seems like it would be a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You can teach at a community college with the Masters, but if you want "academia" you need a Ph.D. It is the only way to become "one of them".
Actually, CC would be just fine, my main concern (if I were to ever go the teaching route, which I am not deadset on) would be full-time vs. part-time (adjunct) TT faculty isn't such a big deal as long as it is a full time position that I don't have to fret over salary/benefits each semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Unless you want academia now, or in the near future, do not go to graduate school. Do not go to graduate school unless you have a solid, concrete, reason to do so (and no, the potential for making more money is not a solid reason, seriously). Only get your Masters if you want to do research, be key member of a research team, or in general wanting to have your "hypothetical" ideas being taken seriously. Other than that, you have no need for graduate school, will only waste your time and money, and will take a seat away from someone who legitimately wants to be there.

Unless your Masters program has a thesis/research or advanced field-placement component, the answer is no. It will be just another feather in your hat for the most part until you gain more, and more, work experience.
That is something that does concern me. I am trying to work through my actual reasons for wanting to go to graduate school, and determining the ROI on that expense. Speaking truly, I lean more towards practical application (actually writing code) over research. My reasons, valid or not, for considering graduate school (I am still in the deciding phase) can basically be boiled down to:

1) Opening the doors to additional opportunities that are currently unavailable to me
a) Teaching career
b) Many federal jobs at the higher GS levels
c) More competitive positions at various companies
d) And yes, the potential for a higher salary
2) Personal accomplishment
a) A (very expensive) feather in my hat
3) Sub-specializations that were unavailable to me as an undergrad
a) Advanced networking, database, and AI concepts
b) Computer and Information Security
4) Personal projects
a) My favorite part of my undergrad was when I did an individual honors project my senior year and an MS program culminates (at least the ones I have looked at) with either a project or a thesis.

I'm not saying any of these are really strong reasons, they are just my current thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
- I prefer Brick and Mortar schools however if it isn't feasible, finding a online program shouldn't be a problem. Try one of the top 50 C.S programs and please stay away from "for-profit" schools.
I wouldn't touch for-profit schools with a ten foot pole, personally. I look into the courses offered before considering a school. Right now the online schools that have caught my eye when considering price and courses offered include UI Springfield, UM Flint, University of Louisville, Colorado State, and maybe University of Bridgeport.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
Quote:
I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in May 2011 and got a job that I am happy with and really enjoy. Since then I have gone to a couple of conferences and taken some classes that have kind of given me the itch to go back to school part time and get a Masters in Computer Science. It would allow me to persue additional opportunities in the future, although for right now I am actually really happy with my job and wouldn't immediately seek out different employment if I did get a graduate degree.

There are two people at my company that have Masters, but they both went business route with one getting a MBA, and the other getting a Masters in Engineering Management. My problem is that I really have no desire for business/management. I love programming and software engineering.

I also noticed that a lot of Masters programs say they are good for people new to the field, i.e. your Bachelors was in a different field and you are switching over to CS. I am a little worried that since I already have a BS in CS that the program will be too repetitive.

This leaves me with a few points of debate:

A relative of mine was in the same situation as you and did go on for the Master's. Afterward he had lots of job opportunities, even better than what he'd had before, and it has really paid off. However, he went to a well-known university with a strong CS department. I'm not sure about something online or something that will take anyone.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,986,307 times
i went back for my MS Comp Sci after working nearly 10 years. i basically was putting my foot in the water to see if my suspicion that i wanted to switch back to academia was correct. it worked out pretty well in my case. beyond just confirming my thoughts, it also strengthened my subsequent applications to PhD programs

regarding your specific questions:

Quote:
professionally - probably not IMO. if you just want to develop apps, and are already working, i would just stick with it. possible exception if you have employee tuition reimbursement, or want to work at a very highly competitive place (google, apple, etc) and don't feel qualified at the moment

academically - possibly. in my case it certainly did - i had a strong ugrad but it was too long ago. you aren't as old, so it depends on how where you went for ugrad and how well you did there. if you went to a modest school or didn't do well there, it will help you. if you did well (especially if you co-authored something or went to a very strong school) it probably won't unless you are really a standout MS student

Quote:
absolutely. it might slow you down slightly but i think that is a great trade off for the perspective it gives you. committing to a PhD is a huge move so it's important to know you want to do it. moreover with transfer credit it might now slow you down much (different PhD programs have widely varying policies on accepting transfer credit from MS programs to satisfy their core requirements). regarding a PhD, i think in your case since you sound "on the fence" about it, this is the most important point

Quote:
i think this would be a waste of time for you both professionally and academically

professionally - you're already working and enjoying it/doing well. i've done quite a bit of dollars-and-time-spent-on-degree versus increased-future-earnings analysis and it doesn't make sense to go back to grad school unless you are both young and not being paid well currently and/or currently have no path for future advancement. dollars for dollar the best move for any software developer to make is usually to strike out on your own as a contractor (or small business owner), not go back to school

academically - the thing in an MS program that would help your PhD app the most is either co-authorship on a paper, teaching experience, or meeting a professor who writes you a great recommendation. you won't get any of these at an online program. the only way it could help you is by helping you zero in on an research interest, which would lead to a better essay (very important, but you'd still be better off at a brick and mortar school)

something to keep in mind... you say "spent a bit more time actually developing applications". that's appropriate for MS, but PhD programs have nothing to do with developing apps. they are primarily geared towards research, secondarily towards teaching, and very little towards developing apps. don't apply for a PhD if you are primarily seeing grad school as a way to improve your development skills. it's just not the goal of a PhD

Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,172,351 times
I personally wouldn't do it. My brother decided to turn down jobs in 2010 and get his MS in CS from a top 5 CS school. He got a job after graduating but it really only added about 25% to what his starting salary would have been had he just gone straight to work after undergrad and he ended up spending close to 100k for his MS with an RAship for 1 semester.

I don't see how there would be much value in an online CS degree. My brother's was a ton of project work, project development, etc. I just don't see how you can do stuff like that in an online format.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,986,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
My brother decided to turn down jobs in 2010 and get his MS in CS from a top 5 CS school. He got a job after graduating but it really only added about 25% to what his starting salary would have been had he just gone straight to work after undergrad and he ended up spending close to 100k for his MS with an RAship for 1 semester.
agreed 100%. MS really doesn't add much to your earning potential in this field unless your BS was very lax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities