Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 AM

304 posts, read 1,021,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I am biased, but I would choose Temple and Philly. You need to prioritize what you want. If you are truly interested in American History I can't think of anything better than Philadelphia, the birthplace of American History.
While Philly definitely has TONS of history, I think the Historic Triangle in VA (Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown) would give it a run for it's money, at least in terms of colonial and Revolutionary War history (haha I'm biased too )

Too bad my alma mater William & Mary isn't on the OP's list of colleges, would certainly fit the small town preference and college town atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 5,632 times
Thanks for all your advice again

I think I am going to cross Goucher off of the list. I am looking for somewhere that is small enough to walk around, or somewhere with good public transport... Something it doesn't seem to offer.

Although Philly is "The Birthplace of America" I don't fancy big city life. I go to a university in a city with a population of 200k. Also, Temple is in a bad neighbourhood from what I've read and heard on here.

I am also going to ignore Hobart and W S Colleges and University of Minnesota. The latter is too isolated and would not offer much in the way of history, perhaps a Wild West/Old West/Frontier research opportunity? (sorry for my poor history of the frontier); Hobart is too isolated and I can't see myself liking that atmosphere.

This leaves me with:

University of Rhode Island
University of Maine

My university are freeing up some spaces at UMass Amherst and SUNY Plattsburgh last minute (or so I have overheard). Maybe these would be better than URI and ME?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM

550 posts, read 969,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_B View Post
Thanks for all your advice again

This leaves me with:

University of Rhode Island
University of Maine

My university are freeing up some spaces at UMass Amherst and SUNY Plattsburgh last minute (or so I have overheard). Maybe these would be better than URI and ME?
I think narrowed it down to a couple of great choices. I'd stick with those, and not add any more to the mix, unless there's a specific reason or two as to why you want to now consider the new schools.

There may be an alumni forum for the schools you're considering. At this point, maybe you can join them and ask a few questions to get a "virtual" feel.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:24 AM

13,256 posts, read 33,633,723 times
If those are your final two, I would go with Rhode Island. Public transportation in the US is not like it is in Europe and having a college next to an Amtrak station is ideal. I hope you've also given their curriculum a good look too!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,155,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_B View Post
In terms of location, neither is better than URI. Plattsburgh is close to Montreal but that's it -- it's rather isolated, kind of like U. of Maine. As for UMass, it's a good school but it's a bit less convenient than URI -- further away from Boston, probably takes about the same time to get anywhere else (NYC/Philly/etc), has Springfield next door instead of Providence and Newport..

Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 PM

212 posts, read 157,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Public transportation in the US is not like it is in Europe and having a college next to an Amtrak station is ideal.

OP, please do more investigation in your colleges of choice - If you are planning to move over here without a car, transportation may be problematic for you. Mass transit here is awful, unless you live in NYC or maybe Boston. The references to places with Amtrak stations are good for longer distances, but won't help you for getting around town.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:35 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post

OP, please do more investigation in your colleges of choice - If you are planning to move over here without a car, transportation may be problematic for you. Mass transit here is awful, unless you live in NYC or maybe Boston. The references to places with Amtrak stations are good for longer distances, but won't help you for getting around town.
Or Philly or DC, in the Northeast.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
In terms of location, neither is better than URI. Plattsburgh is close to Montreal but that's it -- it's rather isolated, kind of like U. of Maine. As for UMass, it's a good school but it's a bit less convenient than URI -- further away from Boston, probably takes about the same time to get anywhere else (NYC/Philly/etc), has Springfield next door instead of Providence and Newport..
Spot on

Old 11-20-2013, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,632 times
Ok, I think I am going to go with URI Good location, great course, nice town, and in a state rich in history from the periods I am fascinated by!!

Thanks everyone !

Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,322,740 times
These schools vary widely in terms of academic reputation—if that’s important to you. Minnesota is definitely the best on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities