Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,747,124 times

Advertisements

I know people always say a "friend", but in this scenario it really is my sister-in-law! :0)

She has taken about 12 years to complete a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and now realizes she has no full-time career prospects in her degree area, aside from being a cop (which she cannot do unless she went on a strict training schedule for a year or so to meet their physical fitness standards). Now, she has decided to get an MBA with an emphasis in criminal justice from Northcentral University. (Her husband said he didn't want to pay for this and she took their kids and left for a day)

I have looked into the school because paying $20K after you owe $40K for the first degree seems irresponsible unless job prospects are absolutely better or what you want to do requires a masters (PA school, psychology, teaching in my state....)

Has anyone heard of this university or degree field (a criminal justice mba)?

I would usually tell anyone to run from an MBA program that doesn't require a GMAT or has a page on ripoff report; however, I don't want to be too judgmental. I sent her a link to a Florida State online masters in criminology but she says she needs an MBA to be employable. My undergrad background is in business (finance) and while I see the usefulness of an MBA, I have not seen the usefulness in an MBA from for-profit programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
It's a for profit online school. No thank you.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 AM

366 posts, read 732,734 times
Regardless of whether for profit or non profit, online or bricks and mortar, I'd say it would not be prudent to pursue further education at this time. Best to get a job and start paying down the student loan debt. After she sets her sights on a career, she can then best determine what to do at that time. Also, just because she majored in CJ doesn't mean she's relegated to becoming a cop. There are other areas she can explore.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Most jobs in CJ/social services will not require a master's degree. I agree with Sideman in that she should look for a career now unless she decides to pursue one that requires a master's. The MBA is for those who already have a lot of work experience in a field. With the CJ degree and little to no experience, she can work in parole/probation, corrections (dangerous, but the physical standards tend to be low), or as a social service worker for a correctional department or child/adult protective services agency. She might even find some openings for civilian crime scene investigators. She's very unlikely to get a job in corporate security or security management without experience. Honestly, it is not easy to find a job that pays a decent wage and requires a degree in CJ or a similar field. The LinkedIn group I belong to is filled with people complaining about not being able to find jobs with their CJ degrees.

I would not recommend Northcentral University for most situations. There are cheaper schools with better reputations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities