Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
Yes, my son does not live with me now. He lives in Georgia with his father who was recently laid off and probably going to accept an offer for another position out of state. I have lived in California for almost 4 years. My son will be moving to California and attending HS here before he turns 18 next year. He will be applying to Cal State - Long Beach & Northridge; UC - Santa Barbara & Riverside. There websites say that state that he will be considered a resident if he lives here with me, his parent, in California and is under age 18.

My dilemma is that the deadline to apply to the UC/Cal State schools are BEFORE he moves to California (November 30, 2013), and while he is still in Georgia. The plan is for him to move during the Christmas break or his Winter Break in February. Either way he will still be 17 next year, but when he applies this month he will still technically be a resident of Georgia. Does it matter what your residence is when you APPLY or when you ACCEPT or ??

This booklet by UC seems rather thorough on the issue:

http://www.ucop.edu/general-counsel/...nce-policy.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
Quote:
Yes, my son does not live with me now. He lives in Georgia with his father who was recently laid off and probably going to accept an offer for another position out of state. I have lived in California for almost 4 years. My son will be moving to California and attending HS here before he turns 18 next year. He will be applying to Cal State - Long Beach & Northridge; UC - Santa Barbara & Riverside. There websites say that state that he will be considered a resident if he lives here with me, his parent, in California and is under age 18.

My dilemma is that the deadline to apply to the UC/Cal State schools are BEFORE he moves to California (November 30, 2013), and while he is still in Georgia. The plan is for him to move during the Christmas break or his Winter Break in February. Either way he will still be 17 next year, but when he applies this month he will still technically be a resident of Georgia. Does it matter what your residence is when you APPLY or when you ACCEPT or ??
I only know the rules for Colorado, and I don't know the answer to that question, even for here. In addition to that link, I would suggest calling the schools in CA where he intends to apply.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,791,461 times
It also depends on the institution.

My cousin moved from VT to NJ to live with me, and go to community college. After one year, she was given in-state/in-county tuition. When she transferred to Rutgers they would not give her in-state tuition even though by that time she had been living in state, and receiving in state tuition for years. They said that her parents lived out of state so she was an out of state student.

She considered transferring back to UVM, but they also would have considered her out of state. Damned if you do.....

Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,610,253 times
Quote:

That is tricky. I would agree with the posters that have suggested just calling the admissions people but make sure you talk to someone in a position of authority and not a college student manning a phone. An e-mail might be even better because you would have it in writing.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 AM

12,114 posts, read 23,375,101 times
Sent you a PM

Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,551,436 times
Quote:

I would put your CA address on the application. He'll be living there is less than 1 month if he moves during Christmas break. Besides, the letters from the schools likely won't be arriving until he is living in CA.
Why put the old address when you know he is moving soon and also his father is not going to be living at that old address either. This means it's possible that any mail from the colleges that is sent to the old GA address to be lost or delayed. Even if he submits a change of address later, it will probably add confusion to the overall process with some mail still going to the old address where nobody in the family lives any longer.

You wouldn't be breaking any rules from what I can see. And it will make the overall process a lot easier in the long run due to the GA address becoming obsolete very soon.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,551,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This booklet by UC seems rather thorough on the issue:

http://www.ucop.edu/general-counsel/...nce-policy.pdf
I found this exact quote from page 22 of the booklet in the above link.

Hopefully he moves to your CA home before he turns 18 and hopefully you have lived in CA at least 1 year before he begins school.

A minor student will derive residence through a California-resident parent only if s/he begins living with the California parent prior to attaining majority (18th birthday). The student is not required to fulfill the 366-day physical presence requirement; however, the California parent must satisfy the University’s residence requirements for tuition purposes. The student must provide clear and convincing evidence that s/he actually changed the domicile to the California-resident parent’s home prior to the student’s 18th birthday.

The parent must provide clear and convincing evidence that California has been the primary home for at least 366 days and that s/he has severed ties to the former out-of-state home

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM

363 posts, read 1,363,294 times
Default Update

We applied at the various UC's/CSU's with my California address. He withdrew from his Georgia HS yesterday and will be arriving after Christmas and starts school on Jan. 13th. He will be attending a local community college too to get his required visual arts hours which are needed to graduate HS here and also meet the UC A - G admissions requirements. All this before he turns 18 next year, yay.

I did reach out to several of the schools and they all confirmed the same that as long as he establishes residency, i.e. moves here, enrolls in school, gets his drivers license, registers to vote, etc. here before 18, then he assumes my residency.

Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities