Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,862 times

Advertisements

Does it depend on the date that you apply? Or the date you graduate from high school? Or does it not depend on the date, just where you live when you apply?

My son is planning on moving back to CA from GA before he turns 18 and will be graduating from a CA high school, but he will be attending school in GA and using GA transcripts to apply for schools with November/December/January admissions deadlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Different states have different residency requirements. Your son will be considered a resident of whatever state in which he holds his address of record.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Different states have different residency requirements. Your son will be considered a resident of whatever state in which he holds his address of record.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Some states the qualification is where your parents reside. Other states it is where you graduated from high school. Some states you can't gain residency unless your parents move to that state and take a job in that state. Some states all you have to do is live there over one summer. In those states, some schools have different requirements as well.

2peaches2oranges-this is not a question that can be answered here. You will have to talk to the admissions departments at each school to find out their policy.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You will have to talk to the admissions departments at each school to find out their policy.

This.

But usually it does take some time, otherwise people would just move and wait a semester or year in order to get cheaper tuition.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I think the standard rule is where the parents are living the students senior year of high school is the one that is considered their home state. Where the student lives has nothing to do with residency unless they are an emancipated minor, which is pretty rare.

This link is a starting point:Guide to State Residency

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This.

But usually it does take some time, otherwise people would just move and wait a semester or year in order to get cheaper tuition.
That definitely happens. In the state where I did my undergrad (which was not my home state), at the time, residency could be established in 30 calendar days (no idea if that's still the standard). It didn't matter for me, as I went to a private school and residency had no bearing on tuition.

When my best friend left our school and wanted to enroll in a public university in a neighboring state, he was required to live there for 6 months to become eligible for in-state tuition, so he had a hiatus from school until that time.

Neither of us were minors, though.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
North Carolina is 1 year after residency is originally established.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
As noted, depends on the state. I was looking at an out of state school that required you to live in the state for one year before they considered you an in-state resident.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
Does it depend on the date that you apply? Or the date you graduate from high school? Or does it not depend on the date, just where you live when you apply?

My son is planning on moving back to CA from GA before he turns 18 and will be graduating from a CA high school, but he will be attending school in GA and using GA transcripts to apply for schools with November/December/January admissions deadlines.
OK, this situation is a little difficult for me to understand, as it seems as if your son doesn't live with you??

In any event, a 17 yo high school senior would be classified according to his parents' residency in almost every case. Only "emancipated minors" can claim residency apart from the parents, and emancipation has some difficult requirements to fulfill. Since your case seems complicated, I think you will have to talk to the people at the schools involved. Of course, if your son chooses a private college, none of this matters.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,862 times
Yes, my son does not live with me now. He lives in Georgia with his father who was recently laid off and probably going to accept an offer for another position out of state. I have lived in California for almost 4 years. My son will be moving to California and attending HS here before he turns 18 next year. He will be applying to Cal State - Long Beach & Northridge; UC - Santa Barbara & Riverside. There websites say that state that he will be considered a resident if he lives here with me, his parent, in California and is under age 18.

My dilemma is that the deadline to apply to the UC/Cal State schools are BEFORE he moves to California (November 30, 2013), and while he is still in Georgia. The plan is for him to move during the Christmas break or his Winter Break in February. Either way he will still be 17 next year, but when he applies this month he will still technically be a resident of Georgia. Does it matter what your residence is when you APPLY or when you ACCEPT or ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities