Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:07 PM

35 posts, read 69,612 times

Advertisements

undergrad GPA low (finance major)
grad school seems hopeless, so how about a graduate certificate (4 classes)
applied to graduate certificate
denied admission to graduate certificate

it seems if i don't have a 3.0, nobody seems to want me. i have 5 years of professional work experience directly related to the degree and had 3 letters of recommendation with my application for the graduate certificate.

i'm planning on calling the admissions office to see what i can do. do you think they'd let me take 1 class? should i beg? sometimes classes aren't filled, right?

is there something i can do? just found out today that i did not get into the certificate program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:08 PM

i already emailed the program director of admissions to see how i can make myself a stronger applicant. i'm not sure if that was a good thing to do.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
stop tearing your hair out. learn a trade.
peace is worth something.
a good definition of hell is a false sense of identity.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Maybe get a job w/o the grad degree? Most people work for awhile before heading to grad school (except for things like med school, etc)

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Maybe get a job w/o the grad degree? Most people work for awhile before heading to grad school (except for things like med school, etc)
i currently work full-time (past 5 years) and i'm looking to go to school part-time

Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkdude1 View Post
i already emailed the program director of admissions to see how i can make myself a stronger applicant. i'm not sure if that was a good thing to do.
It wasn't, with the grammar and punctuation skills you show here.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM

493 posts, read 981,120 times
Are you looking at multiple schools? How selective is the program you are trying to get into? Is the Master's also in Finance? Did you take any of the entrance exams (GRE, GMAT, etc) and if so, what were your scores?

Typically admissions committees don't look exclusively at grades, especially if you have been out of school for 5 years. Either the program you are trying for is too selective, or other parts of your application packet were weak. You can't change your undergrad GPA, but you can take/retake entrance exams for better scores, you can improve your statement of purpose, or you can find a less selective school/program.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Sometimes in your situation, people go back to school to take post-baccalaureate classes in their intended grad field until their last 90 hours GPA is over 3.0.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM

363 posts, read 1,361,000 times
I had a low GPA in undergrad and the Grad School program I enrolled in let me appeal my admission by writing a strong letter as to why I had a low GPA, background, etc. and then they put me on academic probation for my first 1-2 classes in the program, and then once I passed those classes with at least a B, I was ok from then on.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkdude1 View Post
undergrad GPA low (finance major)
grad school seems hopeless, so how about a graduate certificate (4 classes)
applied to graduate certificate
denied admission to graduate certificate

it seems if i don't have a 3.0, nobody seems to want me. i have 5 years of professional work experience directly related to the degree and had 3 letters of recommendation with my application for the graduate certificate.

i'm planning on calling the admissions office to see what i can do. do you think they'd let me take 1 class? should i beg? sometimes classes aren't filled, right?

is there something i can do? just found out today that i did not get into the certificate program
One of the women I work with did ^^ and completed her MS without difficulty.

Usually, certificates are for people who already have a Master's in the discipline, so that may be why you weren't admitted. You could also enroll as a non-degree seeking student - I believe you can take 2 classes before you need to be officially accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities