Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,921,741 times

Advertisements

being latino in Pittsburgh...us. im not trying to begin anything, but when the city has about 1.5% to the entire PGH area...we are under represented. I think u of pitt and CMU and others need to do better to get us out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,921,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually, it's white females that suffer the most..they make up the bulk of campus enrollment around the country. Many colleges give better aid, merit or otherwise, to white males to balance numbers. A black or Hispanic male with reasonable test scores and grades can pretty much get into any school they want these days, often with very good financial support.
ha! I pay pitt 12k a year, even if im an adult student and out of state.actually that's 13k out of pocket when I returned to a CC in my hometown and had a 3.1 gpa(granted I sucked in hs and 1st yr out of it gpaa wise). if I my gpa before didn't count I would have had a 3.5 at least but pa oesnt give out of state kids that money.

ill admit I struggled this semester because of social, school issues. something I never thought would happen after going back to school part-time and working full-time for my A.S at a CC. now I know how a 4 year works so I hope im not punished and can make up this semester. still, I owe 6500 for going full-time in spring.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM

67 posts, read 189,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
So far as I know there is only one scholarship in the nation for white males...
That wouldn't happen to be the scholarship for farmers would it

Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM

18,569 posts, read 15,660,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I was looking through a list of scholarships available to students in my area - scholarships for Native Americans, for African Americans, for health care professions, for LGBT students, for engineering students, for women, farmers' kids, etc.

What group is under-represented in the scholarship department? Where are the biggest needs?
People whose parents earn enough income to disqualify them from federal grants but parents refuse to chip in.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,077,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I was looking through a list of scholarships available to students in my area - scholarships for Native Americans, for African Americans, for health care professions, for LGBT students, for engineering students, for women, farmers' kids, etc.

What group is under-represented in the scholarship department? Where are the biggest needs?
How about middle-class white American citizen kids who aren't jocks or academic overachievers? "Average white kid" seems to be a very under-served group. (We have two teenage sons...)

Old 12-09-2013, 04:31 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,077,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don’t think any more money should be thrown at future teachers. They already have some of the best options on the table for student loan repayment and forgiveness.
Agreed. And I support my public schools and teacher's, but I do agree with this ^^.

I've known so many teachers (through my two decades of volunteering and working in schools in four different states) who only became a teacher so that their school loans were forgiven or paid for them. A free ride should not be the reason someone chooses to become a teacher.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,791,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Agreed. And I support my public schools and teacher's, but I do agree with this ^^.

I've known so many teachers (through my two decades of volunteering and working in schools in four different states) who only became a teacher so that their school loans were forgiven or paid for them. A free ride should not be the reason someone chooses to become a teacher.
To forgive loans, a teacher has to work five years in some of the absolute worst districts in the country, and what will that get you? A whooping 5K off the federal loan.

If besides all of the above, you are also a special ed, math or science teacher, and you meet all of the criteria for federal highly qualified, for every year employed, than a sum total of 17.5K can be forgiven.

None of that applies to private loans.

Now maybe you have only worked or volunteered at the bottom rung of schools, but most teachers in those schools have more than earned their $5k in forgiveness just by sticking it out in those places for 5 years. And lets be clear, there are not droves of people becoming teachers to get a "free ride". What that program does, is encourage people who would otherwise go to good districts to get the equivalent of a signing bonus if they agree to work in some of the worst schools imaginable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities