Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
In this case, I don't think it's HR that doesn't know the difference. I'm not too familiar with BAs in engineering, but I am familiar with BAs in other STEM fields. Some schools only offer a BA for all of the liberal arts which include mathematics and the natural sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, etc.). Some schools even go as far as classifying computer science as a liberal art since it's heavily based on mathematics. IIRC, there is at least one Ivy League college that only offers BA degrees for non-engineering, STEM fields. I don't think any hiring manager will be throwing out that application/resume.

The difference between a BA and BS varies widely among schools that offer both for individual subjects. Some schools will offer a BS in psychology or criminal justice. At some schools, the only difference between a BA and BS is a foreign language requirement. Other schools will allow BA majors to take more free elective courses and less science and math courses. I don't know why you assume that BA degrees in STEM fields don't include lab work. I guess the most important thing in engineering would be ABET accreditation. I've heard that BA degrees in engineering are usually not ABET accredited.
Too add to this BS/BA discussion (agree with what you have posted)-the University of Colorado gives all BAs in its college of arts and sciences. My daughter has a BA in biology. She took a ton of science/math courses, obviously, plus her gen ed courses.. CU gives a BA in computer science. St. Olaf College, where my other daughter went, even gives a BA in nursing. In fact, St. Olaf does not have any BS degrees, just BA and BM (Bachelor's in Music). St. Olaf does require religion courses and foreign language of everyone, and has a lot of gen ed credits. That daughter, too, received a BA in biology. Of course there were a lot of lab courses in such a major, both at St. Olaf and CU.
St. Olaf College | Academic Catalog 2013-14
B.A. Degree | Computer Science | CU-Boulder
College of Arts and Sciences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:35 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times
Finish the BSEE

Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
Finish college!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities