Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,445,621 times

Advertisements

My daughter is in 10th grade and has suddenly started getting inundated by mail and email from colleges. At the bottom of the emails is the fact that they got her name from the Student Search Service of the College Board.

Is this just junk mail? Or are they expecting us to be impressed by the fact that they've identified her as a potential student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,420,929 times
Marketing. Colleges are a business like any other.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,018,846 times
Marketing. I use to get inundated through the armed forces due to being a boy scout.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,520,235 times
After I took the PSAT in high school, I was inundated by mailings from colleges around the country. They are just trying to attract the best students.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times
Like L210, after I took PSATs, colleges started sending all sorts of marketing material my way. Often with promised scholarship money. Save the material for schools that sound interesting and/or throw money at your child. Chuck the rest.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,483,855 times
The schools submit the academic parameters they want and they get a list from PSAT, ACT, SAT. Your child probably filled out information on those forms that said her GPA was X.X and she is taking AP classes or whatever. I thought it was good initial information and a way to get the kids thinking about colleges they might like. Junior year you will get flooded with mailings, emails, etc. Take it for what is is, advertising for the school and not that your child is "special" like some parents do

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The schools submit the academic parameters they want and they get a list from PSAT, ACT, SAT. Your child probably filled out information on those forms that said her GPA was X.X and she is taking AP classes or whatever. I thought it was good initial information and a way to get the kids thinking about colleges they might like. Junior year you will get flooded with mailings, emails, etc. Take it for what is is, advertising for the school and not that your child is "special" like some parents do
That's what I figured. She took PSATs this year (though we still don't know what her scores were) and suddenly this barrage started. What has amazed me is their persistence. We'll get one email, then a week or so later another one from the same school, and then a week after that another one saying "Are you getting my emails?" or some such. Plus we've started getting paper mail from the same schools.

Sheesh. If all they are trying to do is bring their school to our attention, they're going about it the wrong way.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,867,977 times
Oh yeah. Gotta keep up those admin wages and billion-dollar football stadiums!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,282,885 times
Nothing to get worked up over and I'm not sure why this would be a turn off

There a lot of good schools out there and most of these mailings are fairly targeted based on information you/student provide plus things like the PSAT score

I was before e-mail on these things, so that is a new dynamic - but I definitely remembered the mailings.

There were a few schools that really grabbed my attention, including the one I eventually went to that had mailers ....... there were many schools that I had never heard of or would not have known existed without the mailers (a lot of the smaller lib arts schools or more specialized schools)

Basically there is an overwhelming amount of options and it's for the kid as well - I don't know many teens who hate the attention or didn't enjoy flipping through brochures ...... even as they complained about them

There are some that are turn offs though, but again that also serves it's purpose .... there was a lib arts school that sent me postcards, basically I'd get one every 10 days or so .... it was a basically a picture plus a word .... supposed to be strong enough to stand on it's own, but when put with the other mailings spelled out a greater message ..... I'm sure that drew in some people, but it was a bit gimmicky for my taste and really didn't leave me with intrigue or interest about this school

Old 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Finger Laker, I'm just saying that I find overly aggressive marketing to be highly unpleasant. It seems unlikely that any of these tactics will inspire us to investigate schools we've never heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities