Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM

530 posts, read 1,364,188 times

Advertisements

If you BOTH love what you do as well as majored in something marketable then YES! It will get better.

As for *most* of these Accounting majors who ONLY did it for the money, they're in for a loooooooong rocky miserable suicidal life!! (especially since they generally don't pay anywhere near where they used to)

The only aspect that gets worse is the level of spontaneity in your life. College life is fun, youthful, unique and interesting but in the workforce, your job will likely be very repetitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 AM

27,715 posts, read 28,837,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
College life is fun, youthful, unique and interesting but in the workforce, your job will likely be very repetitive.
I found college life to be none of those things. It was hard beyond anything I could explain.

I never experienced anything like it before or since.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM

530 posts, read 1,364,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I found college life to be none of those things. It was hard beyond anything I could explain.

I never experienced anything like it before or since.
Do you live on campus?

How rigorous was your college?

Are you a commuter student? (Commuter students as well as many off-campus students don't get the quintessential college experience so they don't count)

But yeah, i can't speak for everybody

Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 AM

27,715 posts, read 28,837,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Do you live on campus?

How rigorous was your college?

Are you a commuter student? (Commuter students as well as many off-campus students don't get the quintessential college experience so they don't count)

But yeah, i can't speak for everybody
I was a commuter student and an engineering major. "Rigorous" is an understatement.

I didn't care for living on campus because they had sound volume restrictions in the dorms. - Not at all for me, since I am a musician by passion.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,385,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
At Thanksgiving a few of the kids in attendance were Juniors and Seniors in College. When they weren't texting, they were talking about how bored they were with college and tired of studying all the time (7 days a week) They both said that if they get good jobs that life will be so much better for them once they graduate. They will make good money and have their evenings and weekends free.

College student: So do you expect to be working less when you graduate and will life be better your first few years after graduation (assuming you get a professional job connected with your career interests)

Life CAN be better depending on the following:

• Do they actually get a professional job? (There is a shortage of jobs, competition is fierce, wages are low.)
  • How long does it take? (I know many people end up doing temp work, retail, service, or unemployed all together after college.)
  • How many hours does the professional job require them to work and does it require them to take their work home?
When I did find a professional job that paid a decent salary and benefits, it was better than being in college become I am accumulating wealth now whereas I was incurring debt before. I can obviously live a better lifestyle now too, but finding a professional level job is not easy in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities