Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:18 AM

136 posts, read 211,315 times

Advertisements

My son applied to the University of Florida but did not get in and people that I've talked to about it can't figure out why. His Gpa was over 4 and he graduated from one of the best public high schools in the county. He was selected to spent a year as a exchange student paid for by congress and passed a couple of advanced placement tests. His Sat scores were not great but met the admission criteria. His ACT scores were in top 10 percent. He is was not involved in volunteer work or sports. I have a daughter who is a dual enrollment high school senior attending St Pete College. I would appreciate any insight so that I could give my daughter some advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,353,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
My son applied to the University of Florida but did not get in and people that I've talked to about it can't figure out why. His Gpa was over 4 and he graduated from one of the best public high schools in the county. He was selected to spent a year as a exchange student paid for by congress and passed a couple of advanced placement tests. His Sat scores were not great but met the admission criteria. His ACT scores were in top 10 percent. He is was not involved in volunteer work or sports. I have a daughter who is a dual enrollment high school senior attending St Pete College. I would appreciate any insight so that I could give my daughter some advice. Thanks!
His Sat scores were not great

He is was not involved in volunteer work or sports.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM

653 posts, read 817,678 times
Quote:
It's also the most popular school in Florida. A huge amount of applications.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,017,616 times
Are you from Florida? It's a very popular in state school and the hardest Florida public university to get into, especially if you came from out of state. And the SAT and no out of classes activities doesn't help.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM

217 posts, read 326,313 times
Sounds like a big lack of extracurricular activities is what did him in. Schools here usually look at the better ACT or SAT score. Doing worse on one of them usually isn't counted against you much.

Also, did your son have to write up an admissions letter? Maybe whoever read it didn't like what they saw.

Being out of state doesn't hurt you. In fact, it can help especially since schools view out-of-staters as cash cows who have to pay more for tuition, room, and board.

UF is okay, I view it as boring to be honest but I'm more of a city person myself. It's not the end of the world for your son as long as he has multiple backup schools.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM

We live in Florida. He belonged to a couple of clubs but he didn't do any volunteer work. He is finishing his first semester at USF where he was given a scholarship (based on merit not on financial need) and 9 college credits from placement tests. Like I mentioned before, I wanted some advise to give his sister. I have been told before that the school receives so many applications that could be why. I know he does not enjoy writing so it makes sense that his essay on his application was not satisfactory. His teachers would complain that he never wrote enough when it came to standardized exams - he would write for 5minutes and be done. That was something I never thought about and I will ask him about it.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 AM

31 posts, read 77,611 times
This site (University of Florida - Admissions) from UF explains that the school uses a "holistic" philosophy - not based solely on academic stuff. Also shows that less than half of applicants with over a 4.0 GPA were admitted (and the middle 50% of admitted students are in the 4.1-4.4 range). With so many >4.0 applicants, you need above average SAT/ACT in addition to extracurriculars to really help your chances (and even then, its not a guarantee). UCLA gets the most applications of any school in the country (and also has a holistic review process). From what I was told (and this was years ago), each application is reviewed independently by 3-4 reviewers. You need all of them to recommend you for admission to be in the running. It's hard to know what each reviewer is looking for, so really anything can get you a rejection. Best not to read too much into it, or go looking for things that "guarantee" an admission.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
A GPA means nothing without the test scores to back it up. One of the "top" public schools in the country is also subjective. If you are going off the Newsweek rankings--those are pretty meaningless since they are mostly based on how many students take, not pass, AP tests.

If he had a 4.1 on a 5.0 scale, that is still a B average...if he had lackluster test scores, no volunteer work and no extracurricular activities, he isn't a good candidate for schools with a lot of applicants. What are his SAT and ACT scores?

Last edited by golfgal; 12-08-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
University of FL is very competitive when it comes to admissions. Some kids are not accepted who are very good students. UF will want to see a student who has very good grades AND has a wide range of extracurricular activities.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did not know anything about a holistic philosophy. Seems very fair to me now especially considering it is a public university in a highly populated state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities