Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,422 times

Advertisements

So basically I am a music student at a college. I have had a problem being lazy and not applying myself to the fullest. I find myself fully capable of doing the work and I have the interest to finish my degree but my laziness got in the way and I basically screwed myself over.

My grades the first 2 semesters were not up to par (less than 2.0 gpa), after being suspended from university for the summer (which was not relevant to me at all) I manage to get reinstated this semester. The semester was going better until I failed another one of my classes that I repeated because of excessive absences that I was not aware of. I talked to the professor and she was unwilling to change my grade. I am still trying at this moment but it does not look good for me.

My question is what do I do now? My goal at all possible is to keep continue going to school. According to university policy I will be suspended for 3 semesters (1 full year) if I do not pass this class. I am determined to finish school and earn my degree, in fact I enjoy my major alot but I have just had issues with responsibilities.

Apart from this I am in a situation where I am basically living off my student loans. My parents had kicked me out a while back and I currently have an apartment in college that I can't pay for unless I have my student loans. Point is I will have no where to go if I flunk out of college for a year. What do I do from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 04:43 AM

43 posts, read 95,307 times
Find a job. Take a year or two and actually live in the real world and assess if college is really for you. If it is, take some classes at a community college and get your grades back up.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:39 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
I think your "laziness" is actually a realization that a degree in music will not help you. Go to your schools' psychologist/counseling office and discuss your issues with them.

If you go back to college, major in something that has real world applicability and where you have a good chance of getting a job - accounting, nursing, engineering.

Your student loans will become due very quickly. You need to find a job and go on income-based repayment IBR.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
You must not be that determined if you're being this irresponsible about it. Get a job and don't rack up any more student loan debt. A few years of working and struggling to pay bills might help you gain the level of maturity needed to be successful in college.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
How are you not aware that you skipped too many classes?

If you cared you would be in class and you would study for your tests. At this point in your life you do not appear to be ready for college.

Just reread your post. How can you be so negligent with this much at stake?

You find a ****ty job or two for a year and scrape by, you find the local food bank to help you with some groceries and, hopefully, at the end of the year, you have decided to take your education a little more seriously.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
How were you not aware of excessive absences?

Those suggesting getting a job aren't wrong, but the catch is, you have to show up for THAT and do the work, too. Having "issues with responsibilities" isn't going to work out any better for you in the unskilled worker world than it did as a student.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 12-21-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 07:27 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
you can either get it together and do what you went there for from the beginning, or stop wasting your time, dormitory space for someone who really wants to be there, and student loan that can go to someone who really will put it to good use. You know what your problem is and that's being lazy, laziness will get you know where fast. Then maybe college is not for you and for some it will take actually going to figure that out. you should just take a break from it, find a job and live out in the real world for a while. Then if you can motivate yourself later on down the road that this is something you really want, you can always go back to school and pick up from where you left off. sound like you are just going through the motion right now. Have you thought about the military for a few years. I can imagine what that dorm room must look like, lol. good luck

Last edited by ipaper; 12-21-2013 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
You dropped out when you decided to go for degree in music. How do you not know you missed classes?

Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Sounds like you have no work experience and being lazy
you won't even hold down a minim wage job.

Wake up or you will be living on the streets
bumming and dumpster diving for food.
Try that for a while and you may like it.

Free hand outs are getting harder to come by these days because
even living on the streets is getting over crowded and people
are getting tired of giving to those who will not work and are able but are to lazy.

You need to wake up or do without.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XATMO8G View Post
So basically I am a music student at a college. I have had a problem being lazy and not applying myself to the fullest. I find myself fully capable of doing the work and I have the interest to finish my degree but my laziness got in the way and I basically screwed myself over.

My grades the first 2 semesters were not up to par (less than 2.0 gpa), after being suspended from university for the summer (which was not relevant to me at all) I manage to get reinstated this semester. The semester was going better until I failed another one of my classes that I repeated because of excessive absences that I was not aware of. I talked to the professor and she was unwilling to change my grade. I am still trying at this moment but it does not look good for me.

My question is what do I do now? My goal at all possible is to keep continue going to school. According to university policy I will be suspended for 3 semesters (1 full year) if I do not pass this class. I am determined to finish school and earn my degree, in fact I enjoy my major alot but I have just had issues with responsibilities.

Apart from this I am in a situation where I am basically living off my student loans. My parents had kicked me out a while back and I currently have an apartment in college that I can't pay for unless I have my student loans. Point is I will have no where to go if I flunk out of college for a year. What do I do from here?
This post is just so filled with so much excuse-making and tear-jerking melodrama that I'm not sure it's real. On the off chance that everything you wrote here is true, then my advice is to get off the booze/dope and off your butt and start applying for whatever job openings you can find because your sojourn at Party U is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities