Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: B.S. in Geography a STEM degree?
Yes 5 22.73%
No 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM

484 posts, read 882,217 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what the consensus is whether Geography is considered "STEM" or not. I know many people tend to think of geography as a hybrid between a physical science and social science, which it probably is. However, my university offers a B.A. in Geography as well but I am choosing to pursue a B.S. My focus is on GIS/Spatial Analysis. STEM degree or not?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I think they can straddle.

I consider it more aligned with social sciences. GIS, urban planning, anthropology, and even public policy.

I've met quite a few geographers. Some of them do that, are working with community, urban, and even third world development. Some of them also work in an environmentally related capacity.

If you're thinking about it like "Is it a STEM degree because STEM degrees are better" that's dumb thinking.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
STEM and the liberal arts aren't mutually exclusive. Physics, chemistry, and biology are liberal arts and STEM subjects. What a lot of people don't know is that the behavioral sciences, which fall under the broader category of social sciences, are often classified as STEM. The behavioral sciences are psychology, sociology, and anthropology. Physical or biological anthropology is one of the most STEM-like fields out of the social sciences. Everyone thinks that economics is the most STEM-like of the social sciences, but physical anthropology and physical geography are much more scientific than economics. I guess economics would most resemble the "M" part of STEM, but it is dependent upon human behavior. The behavioral sciences are the "S" part of STEM. As with anthropology, there are two main types of geography: physical and cultural. Cultural geography, like cultural anthropology, is a mix of social science and humanities. Physical geography would be the more STEM of the two, but it still has some social science aspects, again, like physical anthropology.

If your degree were in GIS, alone, then there would be a better argument for it being STEM. GIS, like statistics, is a tool that's used a lot by different fields. A statistics major, alone, would be STEM. Statistics used heavily in the social sciences does not automatically make them STEM. There are environmental criminologists who heavily depend on GIS, but it doesn't automatically make criminology a STEM field unless you look at it as a sub-field of sociology, thus, a behavioral science.

Last edited by L210; 02-19-2014 at 06:05 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Geography is technically a social science. Whether it's a STEM degree is really irrelevant though. Why does it matter?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 AM

There are a few lists of STEM fields. In my opinion, ICE has the best list. I see GIS, but I don't see geography. I might have glanced over it; however, I do see the behavioral sciences.
http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/stem-list.pdf

O-NET has a list of STEM jobs. Again, I see psychology fields, but I don't see geography. As a matter of fact, they explicitly exclude geography from the geosciences.
All STEM Disciplines

This is NSF's list. Again, geography is not listed.
https://www.lsamp.org/help/help_stem_cip_2010.cfm

I think it was NSF that used to have a more extensive list including all of the social sciences except history, which is more like humanities anyway. I didn't like that list, however. I can't see political science as a STEM field.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Have to be careful with terms here too.
There is Geographic Information Systems, which is strongly a technology degree (but also pretty much a vocational degree and not very employable), and Geographic Information Science, which is a liberal arts degree that is only marginally a STEM degree and far far more employable than a Geographic Information Systems degree.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM

By the way, I think that O-NET list I posted a link to above is terrible.

I'm with the others. Does it really matter if geography is not STEM? What's most important is employability. Accounting, finance, and the various healthcare fields aren't STEM either. Yes, I said healthcare is not STEM. It is an applied professional field. I would only put medical researchers/scientists in the science category.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I'm just curious as to what the consensus is whether Geography is considered "STEM" or not. I know many people tend to think of geography as a hybrid between a physical science and social science, which it probably is. However, my university offers a B.A. in Geography as well but I am choosing to pursue a B.S. My focus is on GIS/Spatial Analysis. STEM degree or not?
there is no right or wrong answer here.

and i don't say this to be flippant, but rather, as someone with a great deal of experience in this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Does it really matter if geography is not STEM?
insofar as perception is reality, yes, it matters.

Last edited by le roi; 02-19-2014 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Have to be careful with terms here too.
There is Geographic Information Systems, which is strongly a technology degree (but also pretty much a vocational degree and not very employable), and Geographic Information Science, which is a liberal arts degree that is only marginally a STEM degree and far far more employable than a Geographic Information Systems degree.
IME,
a. Geographic Information Systems
b. Geographic Information Science
c. a B.S. in Geography

are all interchangable terms, with no difference in employability

Last edited by le roi; 02-19-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Geography is technically a social science.
i disagree with that as a general statement. social sciences deal with people and their relationships to one another.

certain types of Geography degrees (usually a B.A. ) would definitely qualify as a social science ... while other types of Geography degrees (usually a B.S.) would not qualify, as the vast majority of your work is in geographic techniques (like geodetics and geospatial analysis) and earth sciences.

Last edited by le roi; 02-19-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities