Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I went to college as a single parent during a divorce. I'll call BS on anyone thinking I'm lazy for not working FT all the way through college. Sorry. That guilt crap doesn't wash with me.
Where did I call anyone lazy???? I said if they wanted--or needed I guess--to work their way through college they could....

Never said they had to go full time either.....

Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
It's not a myth I did it also there is gi bill
However most don't need it just a trade

Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, just because they CAN pay for it, doesn't remotely mean they will. Additionally, most companies that have this benefit tend to be ones where they are offering tuition reimbursement to those who already have a bachelors. Not particularly the "working through college" situation.

Second, not everyone lives within a commutable distance to a state school. Taking that amount to a private school makes it generally of much less value.

Again, with the typical "working your way through college" scenario we are not talking about the over 24 set. As for the number of kids who have access to aid from their parents or financial aid office, we really have no idea how many kids desperately want an education but cannot get one. There is absolutely no doubt, that if a student is under 24, and their parents decide to not assist them in attending school, it is fundamentally nearly impossible.
That is not true at all....the only stipulation I've seen on tuition reimbursement is it has to relate to your job....and you have to get a C or better--or B's or better with some companies....

As for the under 24 year old paying their own way--it is very true that they can do that---but you have to think a little outside of the box that they are not going to go full-time, live on campus, join a frat or sorority, etc..... They will work 40 hours/week, take a couple classes at a time and finish as soon as they can...but, if they move away from home, are working and independent, they can generally prove they get no support from their parents and file as an independent student...and qualify for financial aid and probably will be able to go to school full-time and work part time...

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, there are a lot of clerical jobs at CU that are filled by non-students. A friend of mine worked in the admissions office doing clerical stuff. I have no idea what their tuition reimbursement policy is.

Right. What is McDonald's tuition reimbursement policy? Starbucks'? Tokyo Joe's'? Those are the kind of places a lot of these kids get jobs right out of HS.
http://assets.starbucks.com/assets/7...e009707893.pdf page 7

Mobile McState

Never heard of Tokyo Joe's....

A lot of kids right out of high school work for better companies than that though....

and FYI--if they are not full-time students, parents can't claim them on their taxes

Last edited by golfgal; 04-01-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
All? Really?

Cost of attendance in our flagship this year is over 30K. Assuming the typical 24 yo paid for nothing but school, they would have to work 80 hours a week, all year, at a minimum wage job, assuming they paid no taxes, in order to "work their way through" school here.

Lets pretend that they live off campus, only pay $400 in rent, and that includes all utilities, they buy no clothes, or medicine or anything except books, lives of ramen noodles and only spends $100 on groceries. Now they only have to work 60 hours a week while going to school full time.
First--someone working their way through college won't typically go full time to college, so they won't be living in the dorms or paying the other fees, etc. associated with being a full time student. Part-time student taking 2 classes worth 3 or 4 credits each at our state school would pay $3704, plus maybe some other fees so lets call it an even $4000. Fed student loans for a freshman are up to $5500...then they are bringing home say $15,000 after taxes....yep, I think they can do that....find a cheep apartment with a couple roommates and you are paying $200/month in rent, $200/month in food, bus service is generally free for college students so there is your ride to/from school and work. Low income so free health insurance....do I need to keep going on????

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
I couldn't open the Starbucks link w/my kindle. McDonald's offers a whopping $250 per semester. That'll go far, not!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Where did I call anyone lazy???? I said if they wanted--or needed I guess--to work their way through college they could....

Never said they had to go full time either.....
No. You implied that it was easy. You have no idea what you're talking about in this regard.

Implying that it is easy pretty much implies that people who take on loans are lazy for not seeing this allegedly obvious truth.

I disagree. It is a real challenge due to logistics of various kinds for a good many students.

Does not mean they aren't as bright and resourceful as their counterparts who do manage to work and graduate with no debt.

Me, I had no free childcare. I had bills to pay. I even took a break from school to work and spend time with my child. I did not graduate with zero debt.

I did, however, graduate. With an advanced degree. I am currently completing a 2nd advanced degree. With 3 kids, a husband, 2 mortgages (we own 2 homes) and a lucrative career I would not have qualified for without the first MS I earned.

I think throwing random comments out about the relative ease and simplicity of affording a good college now is insulting to people who know otherwise.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
First--someone working their way through college won't typically go full time to college, so they won't be living in the dorms or paying the other fees, etc. associated with being a full time student. Part-time student taking 2 classes worth 3 or 4 credits each at our state school would pay $3704, plus maybe some other fees so lets call it an even $4000. Fed student loans for a freshman are up to $5500...then they are bringing home say $15,000 after taxes....yep, I think they can do that....find a cheep apartment with a couple roommates and you are paying $200/month in rent, $200/month in food, bus service is generally free for college students so there is your ride to/from school and work. Low income so free health insurance....do I need to keep going on????
Not everyone can live with roommates. Or work late nights. Or attend the cheapest school in town. It may not be the best value in every instance.

I really do think you are just talking about any old random degree obtained by a 21yo kid with zero obligations.

Even kids have younger siblings and poor families that depend on them sometimes. This notion may work for some people, but it's not as easy as you are implying.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I couldn't open the Starbucks link w/my kindle. McDonald's offers a whopping $250 per semester. That'll go far, not!
Yup. Enough to educate you, one class at a time, at the cheapest community college in the country.

So you can... Keep working at McDonald's.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
http://assets.starbucks.com/assets/7...e009707893.pdf page 7

Mobile McState

Never heard of Tokyo Joe's....

A lot of kids right out of high school work for better companies than that though....

and FYI--if they are not full-time students, parents can't claim them on their taxes
You can claim ANYONE on your taxes. If you provide more than 1/2 their support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities