Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — It’s that time of year when students all across the country will be celebrating high school and college graduations. One South Florida girl will get a diploma from both in the same week and she is only 16-years old.

Grace Bush already has her bachelor’s degree from college but she doesn’t have a high school diploma yet.

Teen Gets High School & College Diploma In The Same Week « CBS Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
What's the rush.....

Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM

151 posts, read 424,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What's the rush.....
Maybe because some people want to stand out from the crowd and achieve more than just mediocrity.

The world needs more people like her.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,864 times
Had an 18 year old in my class in grad school!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Last i checked you couldnt go to college and high school at the same time.

**oh, she "home schooled" them. I know that when i was in (public) school you graduated high school FIRST then you went to college. I guess things have changed in 30 years.

Last edited by pythonis; 05-09-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Then I guess you've never checked, because there's never been a rule against it.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Then I guess you've never checked, because there's never been a rule against it.
Perhaps a community college. I personally doubt that a kid is going to attend high school then drive (or be driven) hours away to attend classes at, say, Yale or Princeton. I could be wrong however id make my kid graduate high school first.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Perhaps a community college. I personally doubt that a kid is going to attend high school then drive (or be driven) hours away to attend classes at, say, Yale or Princeton. I could be wrong however id make my kid graduate high school first.
When I was in college, there was an 11 year old in my differential equations course at my university.

Can you show me where "you checked" that prohibited non-highschool graduates from attending universities?

And what part of the article said she was being driven "hours away to attend classes"? I think I missed that part.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:

**oh, she "home schooled" them. I know that when i was in (public) school you graduated high school FIRST then you went to college. I guess things have changed in 30 years.

Every state in the country has some kind of duel enrollment program where high school kids can take college classes either at a community college or 4 year college for high school and college credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Maybe because some people want to stand out from the crowd and achieve more than just mediocrity.

The world needs more people like her.
She can achieve and stand out at 22 vs 16....she has decades to be an adult, 4 more years won't make a difference.....

Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
She can achieve and stand out at 22 vs 16....she has decades to be an adult, 4 more years won't make a difference.....
22 - 16 = 6, not 4.

And getting a 6 year head start, means she'll have a 6 year lead on her career. This could result in a lifetime earnings of $500k - $1m dollars more. Or, it could mean retiring many years earlier.

In the end, she'll have 6 more years of flexibility in her life that won't be wasted in a class room, or cramming for an exam.

I bet there's a lot of people that die of cancer at an early age that wish they had 6 more years to get ahead in life, get married, go on vacations, or do what they want rather than spend it in a class room. Who are you to say it won't make a difference?

Think of how nice it would have been at the age of 20 to have a house, a decent car, and a good job rather than working a crappy job at a gas station or flipping burgers for pocket change.

It's a shame that when people work hard and get ahead, that their accomplishments are cut down or dismissed by less ambitious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities