Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post

I've been to three different colleges in different states and in almost all cases, science degrees fall under B.S. and arts degrees fall under B.A. That's the way it is.
I can come up with many more than 3 colleges that offer a BA in math.
Thomas Edison State College: Mathematics
Math BA/BS Requirements - Department of Mathematics
http://ww
w.reg.msu.edu/academicprograms/ProgramDetail.asp?Program=3744
http://www.le
sley.edu/bachelor-of-arts/mathematics/
Bachelor of Arts | Mathematics | Natural Sciences & Mathematics | University of Denver
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics Courses with Single Subject Credential
B.A. in Mathematics :: Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU)
Bachelor of Arts – Department of Mathematical Sciences - University of Illinois Springfield - UIS
Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics — Ohio University Department of Mathematics
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics : CAL U
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics - University of Tulsa
BA Mathematics | Department of Mathematics | Drexel University
http://ww
w.unr.edu/math/undergraduate-degree-programs-and-courses/ba
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics | University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics with Certification in Secondary Education | University of Hartford
University of Illinois at Springfield - Math Degree Online - Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences
Temple University Undergraduate Bulletin - CST/Mathematics
Mathematics - Bachelor of Arts : University of Dayton, Ohio
Bachelor of Arts, Plan I < The University of Texas at Austin
Online Math Degree - Accredited Bachelor Degree | Ottawa University
Math/CS - Mathematics BA, BS, Applied Mathematics BS
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics | Extended Programs | University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics - Undergraduate Programs - Department of Mathematics and Statistics - Mississippi State University
https://www.uta.edu/admissions/_down...ath_uteach.pdf
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics - Education Track
Department of Mathematics & Statistics – Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics – Single Subject Teaching Credential
Undergraduate Degrees · Catalogue 2013/14
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics
Math and Statistics Penn State Altoona
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics | Mathematics & Statistics | The College of Science & Mathematics | Wright State University

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-11-2014 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Bickering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
BS is used for the sciences, BA for arts and humanities. It's still a bachelor's.

I think computer anything is better than the others. A gazillion people major in economics - I know some who've done well, but they had to start from the bottom and work their way up. Computers and engineering put you in a good position as soon as you graduate.
The university of Colorado only offers a BA in the College of Arts and Sciences, no BS. It does offer both MA and MS degrees. At the PhD level, there is no distinction.
Programs of Study | University Catalog 2012-2013

Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,511,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollargrab View Post
Im stuck between:
Economics
Management Information Systems
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Computer Engineering is probably the most respected degree in that list and I'd say the hardest. Computer Science is close though.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Here are a couple of links that explain the typical differences between Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees:

Bachelor of Science vs. Bachelor of Arts: What

Bachelor of Arts Vs. Bachelor of Science Degrees | Everyday Life - Global Post

Also, the differences between Bachelor of Arts in Math and Bachelor of Science in Math:

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/b...ics-16698.html

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-10-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 10:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,774,254 times
Back to the original question...
For all four of those majors, ~2 years of work experience with a degree in any of those fields will trump a degree in another of those fields. Focus on having a school that can get you internships or other relevant work experience while you are still in college. Or if you already have a school, focus on whichever department can get you internships or relevant work experience while still in school.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,829,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollargrab View Post
Im stuck between:
Economics
Management Information Systems
Computer Engineering
Computer Science

I will probably more than likely major in Economics and minor in something like Statistics.

Also, what is the difference between a B.S degree and a B.A degree?
MIS is one of the best majors at my University for job placement. I think it was in the mid-high 90% of graduates get jobs in the field. But I think that may be influenced because my University has one of the highest rankings for MIS.

They are all pretty good, though.

BS and BA degree has differences in requirements. BAs need more foreign language credit, and usually require a minor. BS degrees need less foreign language credit, and more math/science requirements, and don't need a minor, usually.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:14 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,656,968 times
Nope. A"BS" is a technical degree. A "BA" or "AB" (ars baccalaureate) in the non technical, and traditional degree.

A BA (or AB) is presented to people with majors as diverse as Mathematics and Art History.

The more academic degree is the BA. However, with many BS degrees, grad school is not needed.

The "BA/AB" is the original baccalaureate degree. It does look better for graduate school.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,009,735 times
A BS usually requires directed research. A BA doesn't. I went to a big state school and you could receive a BA in Biology if you didn't want to do research.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 AM

24 posts, read 48,194 times
What about Environmental or Civil Engineering?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Nope. A"BS" is a technical degree. A "BA" or "AB" (ars baccalaureate) in the non technical, and traditional degree.

A BA (or AB) is presented to people with majors as diverse as Mathematics and Art History.

The more academic degree is the BA. However, with many BS degrees, grad school is not needed.

The "BA/AB" is the original baccalaureate degree. It does look better for graduate school.
Not at every school! Many schools do not give undergrad BS degrees any more. There are many examples upthread, and plenty more could be posted. I'm not in academia, I don't know what the difference ever was. My kids both have BA degrees in biology, from different colleges. I have no idea what the statement in "blue" means. Both degrees are 4 year, and both require certain general ed courses, and a certain number of courses in the major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities