Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,230 times

Advertisements

I've been interning in the IT field this summer & the past summer, and I am 3 classes away from a CS degree. I'm not well versed in the field, but I have some idea of what's going on.

For what I can see, it really doesn't look very "golden ticket" like. It really looks like it's over saturated and most jobs are getting outsourced or given to a H -1B visa.

I go to a top 100 school for comp sci, so it can't be just my school. It really looks like the top 10% of programmers will have it made, while the rest of the jobs will disappear.

Is there even a "golden ticket" field? Should I brush up on my sciences and hope to get into PA school? Try for biotech? What's the real "golden ticket" that doesn't require 100k+ of debt to get into? Does it even exist? Is everything really a lie to get me [my parents] to spend a lot of money to line the school's administrators pockets?

I will also have an economics degree, but I don't even know where to start with it. Who needs an economist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM

56 posts, read 121,568 times
No.

Petroleum Engineering.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotron3000 View Post
No.

Petroleum Engineering.
I thought about that major for a long time. I thought about going to the middle east for maybe a decade or so and working in the oil fields there. But I'm not a guy. I don't know how well that would have worked out.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I thought about that major for a long time. I thought about going to the middle east for maybe a decade or so and working in the oil fields there. But I'm not a guy. I don't know how well that would have worked out.
Lol, if you want to go for CompSci then go for it! . Just make sure you do interns and try to get involved with research.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Lol, if you want to go for CompSci then go for it! . Just make sure you do interns and try to get involved with research.
I'm already in comp sci (like i said before 3 classes then i get my undergrad degree). I've interned at 2 different companies. It's really not that "rosy" of a field. meh. I have no interest in a masters in cs, so research is a bit useless for me.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
No.

Petroleum Engineering.
This goes through booms and busts.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
This goes through booms and busts.
my dad's friend went to work in the middle east for around a decade in the 90's and early 00's. He came back a multi millionaire. never needed to work a day after that. When it's in a "boom" state, it's a real boom.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 PM

So this is what America's foreign policy in the middle east is about....

Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
I've been interning in the IT field this summer & the past summer, and I am 3 classes away from a CS degree. I'm not well versed in the field, but I have some idea of what's going on.

For what I can see, it really doesn't look very "golden ticket" like. It really looks like it's over saturated and most jobs are getting outsourced or given to a H -1B visa.

I go to a top 100 school for comp sci, so it can't be just my school. It really looks like the top 10% of programmers will have it made, while the rest of the jobs will disappear.

Is there even a "golden ticket" field? Should I brush up on my sciences and hope to get into PA school? Try for biotech? What's the real "golden ticket" that doesn't require 100k+ of debt to get into? Does it even exist? Is everything really a lie to get me [my parents] to spend a lot of money to line the school's administrators pockets?

I will also have an economics degree, but I don't even know where to start with it. Who needs an economist?
You are 3 courses away from graduating with a degree in CS and you have intern experience, but you have know idea what is going on in the field? Seriously?

The problem with those "golden ticket" majors/fields is that they all eventually get swamped, jobs "disappear" and hordes of recent grads struggle to secure what-ever now low-paying spot they can get in their field. I dated a girl during the mid 90s who went to school for graphic design. She landed a job right after graduation with a starting pay of $20/hr. On the side she freelanced for upwards of $150/hr. The starting pay is now $8-$12/hr depending on location. And does anyone even major in graphic design anymore?

Quote:
Why go to the Middle East when you can go to North Dakota, Alaska, or one of the many (that is, all) of the off-shore oil rigs that need a hand?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
You might look at the graduate program in industrial engineering at Ga Tech. It is applicable in a lot of areas and might fit in well with your CS and economics degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities