Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 AM

154 posts, read 308,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Probably, they won't have any money for retirement.
Ummmm if they don't find a way to advance their career, they definitely won't have any money for retirement. Have you ever tried to save for retirement with a minimum wage job?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,564,395 times
Quote:
I was watching television with my husband last night. There's some commercial for some garbage online college. They show some lady graduating (I don't know how if they're an online school ). She's pushing 40. My husband and I always laugh at it. What kind of a fool gets a BA at 40? Nice way to way to straddle yourself with debt.
What a strange thing to post in the education forum. People go to college at all ages.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
I finished my BA and MA after high school.
Ummmm... yeah. Everyone does.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM

30,595 posts, read 16,276,313 times
Quote:
I was watching television with my husband last night. There's some commercial for some garbage online college. They show some lady graduating (I don't know how if they're an online school ). She's pushing 40. My husband and I always laugh at it. What kind of a fool gets a BA at 40? Nice way to way to straddle yourself with debt.
Better than sitting in front of a tv laughing at the way others choose to live.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Indeed what an odd thread.

Taking shots at both older learners as well as online schools.

I'm in my 40's and still taking courses online. I'm not going crazy into debt and learning new things is a passion for me.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,626,180 times
What has stood out to me is that many schools are now targeting older learners in their ads. Why is that?

Do they feel it's an untapped market from which they can make more money? Are older learners better able to afford the tuition? Are many older learners out of work/under employed and in need of different or upgraded skills?

As far as being "too old," no, it's never too old to learn, and many states have college programs such as "Good as Gold" where residents of a certain age (might be 65 here) can take college classes for the cost of lab fees and books. Various restrictions apply, but I remember seeing 70-year-olds in a friend's Introduction to the Internet class at a community college.

I do agree that 40-year-olds should be cautious about taking on too much debt for classes, but I certainly have no problem with one finishing up a two or four-year degree in order to be promoted to management at work. In Ohio, lots of people worked for the state, but they couldn't be promoted very far without an AB or BA/BS, depending on the division. Also, as someone pointed out, if there are jobs in the new degree and one is going from minimum wage to $14+/hour, it's also a worthwhile investment.

I also knew a 50-year-old who received an inheritance and went back to finish her MFA in painting. She wasn't overly gifted but it was something that had nagged at her for years and she had the money in hand.

About the only time it's stupid is when an older person borrows a bunch of high interest loans to attend a diploma mill for a worthless degree or a degree that barely pays minimum wage, if the candidate can get job.

Unfortunately, I've seen that a little too much. ):

Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 PM

374 posts, read 492,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What kind of fool rejects education?
Thank you.

To me to judge others without knowing the circumstances or reasons is to Assume well we all know how that goes. Could be a mom that never had a chance to go, could be a single parent, could be someone that isn't happy in their job and figures why be miserable for 20 more years, but be happy in something they will like more. Maybe they got grants, family money, inheritance, feel the cost is justified etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,150,473 times
This is an issue about people trying to do what they want to do and quality of life. Now obviously we all should get it right the first time, but as long as you are breathing and the opportunity exist to change and do something, then do it. As Robert Plant sang back in 1970 or, "yes there are 2 paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road your on."

Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,374 times
My mom graduated from college at age 34, got a great job, and retired at 60. My stepdaughter's mom graduated at 35. I think they set SUCH a good example for their children on how important school is, and how much you sacrifice to get that education.

An aunt got her bachelor's in nursing at 50. She taught for a few years and now uses her skills on mission trips. She's making a real difference in the lives of people with little to no access to medicine.

My dad got his BA at 49. He went to school at night, and it took him many years. He paid cash for each class - no debt. He took one class with his nephew, who enrolled right out of high school, and they competed to see who could make better grades.

He never used his degree, because he could make more in his current job than starting over with a new field. That wasn't the point for him. He got the degree to prove to himself that he could do it. To finish something he had started - and quit - when he was young. He is the only one of his brothers to finish college.

I was sooooo proud of him.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM

30,595 posts, read 16,276,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
My mom graduated from college at age 34, got a great job, and retired at 60. My stepdaughter's mom graduated at 35. I think they set SUCH a good example for their children on how important school is, and how much you sacrifice to get that education.

An aunt got her bachelor's in nursing at 50. She taught for a few years and now uses her skills on mission trips. She's making a real difference in the lives of people with little to no access to medicine.

My dad got his BA at 49. He went to school at night, and it took him many years. He paid cash for each class - no debt. He took one class with his nephew, who enrolled right out of high school, and they competed to see who could make better grades.

He never used his degree, because he could make more in his current job than starting over with a new field. That wasn't the point for him. He got the degree to prove to himself that he could do it. To finish something he had started - and quit - when he was young. He is the only one of his brothers to finish college.

I was sooooo proud of him.
I think you should be proud of your whole family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities