Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

So, I have two choices. I can take both MA 227(Calculus III) and MA 252 (differential equations) or take both EGR 254 and EGR 254. Which do you think would be the easiest option? I am an electrical engineering major.

EE 254. Applied Numerical Methods. 3 Hours.

Selected mathematical and computational topics appropriate to the numerical solution of engineering problems.

EGR 265. Math Tools for Engineering Problem Solving. 4 Hours.

Designed to allow engineering majors to utilize the terminology and problem-solving approaches inherent to engineering, while completing their mathematical preparation. This course is equivalent to MA 227 and MA 252.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Which does your university recommend?

I have taken all of those except that the EGR 265 equivalent (that I took) required both calc III and diff equ as prerequisites.

Mathematically you'd likely be ahead taking calc III and diff equ. The advanced EE courses contain a LOT of math. You will probably be required to take more advanced math than either of the sequences that you mention especially in EE.

I wouldn't look for which is easiest but rather what will help you most later on. Talk to your EE dept.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaxial View Post
So, I have two choices. I can take both MA 227(Calculus III) and MA 252 (differential equations) or take both EGR 254 and EGR 254. Which do you think would be the easiest option? I am an electrical engineering major.

Selected mathematical and computational topics appropriate to the numerical solution of engineering problems.

Designed to allow engineering majors to utilize the terminology and problem-solving approaches inherent to engineering, while completing their mathematical preparation. This course is equivalent to MA 227 and MA 252.
You're asking this question to the wrong people. It's impossible to gauge the difficulty of a course based on its description--some seemingly easy courses end up being impossible and some seemingly difficult courses aren't too bad. You make this question especially difficult to answer because you don't specifically state which school you're at (I'm guessing UAB), so someone who would know because they've taken these courses won't know to look at this thread.

This sort of thing is usually common knowledge among the older students in your major. Ask them! The odds of you finding someone in EE at UAB on city-data are just really low, but the odds of finding someone at UAB who knows this stuff rapidly approaches 100%. Make use of the university community.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

I wouldn't look for which is easiest but rather what will help you most later on. Talk to your EE dept.
I agree.

That said... I know many engineers, and they all have taken Diff EQ.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
You should take all 4.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM

23 posts, read 64,136 times
As an engineering college student, I'm not sure how you can do any type of engineering without understanding differential equations first.

My civil engineering department expects students to take Ordinary Differential Equations, and it's also helpful to have Partial Differential Equations as well. Partial differential equations is the basis for most of the math and engineering courses that I'm taking as part of my major.

I'm not sure how that relates to electrical, but my impression is that electrical engineering is even more math orientated than civil.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaxial View Post

Is there even an option? You need the most rigorous math classes to complete an EE degree.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Is there even an option? You need the most rigorous math classes to complete an EE degree.
No you don't. Rigor and engineering are almost mutually exclusive. The bare minimum of math in EE is lower than it would be for many other majors, like say math, applied math, and physics. Some EE fields require a great deal of math (especially applied math), but other don't.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,335 times
I've done Calc III and DiffEQ and would recommend them both. I'm in CE but DiffEQ is extremely useful for an EE major. You should at least take that one at a minimum.

I'm surprised they're optional for you. Both were required for me in CE but I was under the impression that all EE majors needed to take DiffEQ.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
No you don't. Rigor and engineering are almost mutually exclusive. The bare minimum of math in EE is lower than it would be for many other majors, like say math, applied math, and physics. Some EE fields require a great deal of math (especially applied math), but other don't.
What I meant is that he should take the most rigorous of the classes he mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities