Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:42 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,835,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
emmyann

Hi, I am a 41 year old single mother of a 3 year old. I previously traveled 2-3 weeks at a time for my job. I can no longer do that with my child so I am now unemployed, along with a relation break up... living with my mother. I have just started school on line 5 weeks ago, and am trying to find extra grants, loans, or scholarships to pay for school and the out of pocket expenses they don't pay. Every website I go to you fill out all the info for spam emails for a particular college they tell you about at the end. I can not find anything for someone already enrolled. I need legitimate sites for extra money.. I have looked for single mother grants but find the same things on the sites, I was wondering if anyone could help guide me besides fasfa, I of course have already done this. Thanks!
In terms of education grants, these are the only sources you have:

- Government Aid through the FAFSA, the Military or AmeriCorps

- College Specific Aid and Scholarship Packages

- Your Church

- Your Employer

- General Scholarship Searches through annual scholarship compilation books such as The Ultimate Scholarship Book or through online scholarship websites such as FastWeb

- Individual Development Account (IDA)

- Government Education Tax Credits or Tax Deduction

Also with the new Government IBR, Pay As You Earn and PSF programs, you could take out the Stafford Loans. If you work for a non profit for the next 10 years and your student loan balances are double or triple that of the income you are making at the non profit, you could get the remaining student loan balances forgiven after 10 years (120 payments). IBR or Pay As You Earn would bring the payments down to a certain percentage of your income. Following this, the student loans you take out would "turn into grants" due to the forgiveness, if you plan this right you could actually have the Pell Grant pay for tuition and take out the Stafford Loans to bulk up your bank account and set everything up to have the IBR/PSF forgive them in 10 years.

I don't know who told you about "education grants" for single mothers? Those don't exist. As a single mother, if you are saying the child's father is absent and not paying child support, then you have welfare in the form of EBT, Medicaid, Transportation Assistance and potentially TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). The government should also have a Childcare program available, but I think they will require you to have a side job because if you don't work, why would you need Childcare? You can also file one of those "fake" Disability claims to try and get SSI or Social Security Disability, a lot of people are doing that so hell, give it a try. You should also qualify for an Obama Phone.

Why are you going to Ashford? It's regionally accredited by WASC, which is good, but it's a for-profit and the cost is $420 a credit hour. That's over $50,000 for a bachelor's degree from a for-profit college that does have a bad reputation due to being owned by Bridgepoint. Why on Earth aren't you enrolled at your LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE? Every college has online programs now, you can go to your local community college and enroll online, then transfer to one of your local 4 year colleges and pay HALF of the total price that you are going to pay for Ashford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,013,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

- Your Church

- Your Employer

- General Scholarship Searches through annual scholarship compilation books such as The Ultimate Scholarship Book or through online scholarship websites such as FastWeb

Also with the new Government IBR, Pay As You Earn and PSF programs, you could take out the Stafford Loans. If you work for a non profit for the next 10 years and your student loan balances are double or triple that of the income you are making at the non profit, you could get the remaining student loan balances forgiven after 10 years (120 payments). IBR or Pay As You Earn would bring the payments down to a certain percentage of your income. Following this, the student loans you take out would "turn into grants" due to the forgiveness, if you plan this right you could actually have the Pell Grant pay for tuition and take out the Stafford Loans to bulk up your bank account and set everything up to have the IBR/PSF forgive them in 10 years.

I don't know who told you about "education grants" for single mothers? Those don't exist. As a single mother, if you are saying the child's father is absent and not paying child support, then you have welfare in the form of EBT, Medicaid, Transportation Assistance and potentially TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). The government should also have a Childcare program available, but I think they will require you to have a side job because if you don't work, why would you need Childcare? You can also file one of those "fake" Disability claims to try and get SSI or Social Security Disability, a lot of people are doing that so hell, give it a try. You should also qualify for an Obama Phone.

Why are you going to Ashford? It's regionally accredited by WASC, which is good, but it's a for-profit and the cost is $420 a credit hour. That's over $50,000 for a bachelor's degree from a for-profit college that does have a bad reputation due to being owned by Bridgepoint. Why on Earth aren't you enrolled at your LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE? Every college has online programs now, you can go to your local community college and enroll online, then transfer to one of your local 4 year colleges and pay HALF of the total price that you are going to pay for Ashford.
Well, on the point of Stafford I have to disagree - that forgiveness is not what it seems. There are so many stipulations on it that it's more of a theory than an actual program. Most people cannot use it, no matter where they work or for how long.

And there are education programs for single mothers - there is one group that works in my area and often I get the moms in my class. However, it can't be found by searching "education grants" or anything like that - that just leads to spam. It's a local organization for single moms - OP needs to refine her google skills.

But you are right on about Ashford. Why on earth is OP going there? And I seriously doubt, OP, that you will really be making plenty to pay off your loans. That sounds like something the school told you. If you are majoring in business it's likely you are throwing your money away. What evidence do you really have that you'll be making enough money to pay off the loans? You really should not be taking out loans at all. Sue the father for support or something.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,258,292 times
Check if any of the local colleges have on-campus day care. Often time the cost is subsidized, and you can apply for an income-based reduction in the day care tuition. Other than that, FAFSA is the first step, and you might be surprised by how much financial aid you get; I'm an older student too, and government grants alone have more than covered tuition and books.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Ashford? Scam school. Throwing money away.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:55 AM

22,683 posts, read 47,890,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyann View Post
I was wondering if anyone could help guide me besides fasfa, I of course have already done this. Thanks!
Quote:
I am doing online and obviously have talked to my financial aid office
Quote:
of course I have done all the obvious things!
Quote:
I am obviously applying for the maximum amount through the school
The people on this board only know what YOU tell us.
All the bolded words above... what may be obvious to you is not us.
So don't get upset when people make suggestions... no one is "talking to me like an idiot with no "common sense" " as you so nicely put it.

And yes, you are paying through the teeth for a scam school.
There has to be better local options for you, that can be more affordable.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,835,848 times
Quote:
Mnseca

Well, on the point of Stafford I have to disagree - that forgiveness is not what it seems. There are so many stipulations on it that it's more of a theory than an actual program. Most people cannot use it, no matter where they work or for how long.
That's incorrect information. The stipulations are simple for PSF (Public Service Forgivenes), you make 120 qualifying payments on the student loans, which is one payment a month for 10 years, while at the same time over that 10 year period you have worked for a non profit or government agency at least 30-40 hours a week. The way to get something forgiven under this program, is that you have to basically have out about triple the amount of student loans compared to the low income you are making working for the non profit or the government. So for example, someone with $165,000 in student loans working for a non profit at leat 30 hours a week only making about $30,000 a year in income. Pay As You Earn or IBR would reduce the payments down so you aren't paying the full 10 year Standard Payment on the student loans, and keep it there for the 120 payments (10 years). After that, they would forgive the outstanding student loan balance. The amount forgiven might be taxed though, but still, if you structure this properly to where the $165,000 didn't ALL go for tuition (let's say only $50,000 went to tuition and you put the other $115k in your bank account) that would be a significant forgiveness turning those "loans into grants". It's just, who wants to live on $30k for 10 years?

Quote:
Mnseca

And there are education programs for single mothers - there is one group that works in my area and often I get the moms in my class. However, it can't be found by searching "education grants" or anything like that - that just leads to spam. It's a local organization for single moms - OP needs to refine her google skills.
What program is this? Seeing as though you know about it, why not post it? There are no education grant or scholarship programs for "single mothers" other than at the places I listed above which come in a generic fashion not a "single mother scholarship".

Quote:
Mnseca

But you are right on about Ashford. Why on earth is OP going there? And I seriously doubt, OP, that you will really be making plenty to pay off your loans. That sounds like something the school told you. If you are majoring in business it's likely you are throwing your money away. What evidence do you really have that you'll be making enough money to pay off the loans? You really should not be taking out loans at all. Sue the father for support or something.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-17-2014 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriate rude comments

Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,289,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The people on this board only know what YOU tell us.
All the bolded words above... what may be obvious to you is not us.
So don't get upset when people make suggestions... no one is "talking to me like an idiot with no "common sense" " as you so nicely put it.

And yes, you are paying through the teeth for a scam school.
There has to be better local options for you, that can be more affordable.
A comment ridiculing the OP's lack of common sense was removed.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM

22,683 posts, read 47,890,344 times
?? I was quoting what the OP said about herself... and that comment is still there in her post.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM

11 posts, read 10,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Have you tried the Social Security Admin? They'll go after the father of your child for child support, and I've heard they can set you up for foodstamps and other aid to single moms who are in college.

Thats all been taken care of, the 60.00 a month he has to pay does not go very far, lol. They don't provide daycare or aid for school in Alabama, and with food stamps, you do not qualify unless u work 20 hours a week, My Dr is telling me not to work yet because I am having some medical issues. If I work It will be for no money at this point because I lose food stamps and medicaid, and can't get preschool assistance, if you are already working... It is all very stupid.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 PM

11 posts, read 10,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

- Your Church

- Your Employer

I don't have to fake disability, my doctor is telling me not to work right now for medical reasons, I am actually going to see a disability attorney tomorrow and apply for tanf, when I reveal I am in school, I could lose my ebt because I don't know how long they give me to find a job for 20 hours a week, but I can't get daycare assistance through tanf if I am already working. I am intersted in the details you are talking about for a stafford loan to build my bank account and have it forgiven, but I don't want to work for a non profit necessarily, I need to make good money for my child. I did ashford because it was reccomended to me by a friend, and it was done so fast and easy. I am in my second class, and I do like the set up of 1 class every 5 weeks, but would like to finish as soon as possible. HELP PLEASE LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities