Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 PM

11 posts, read 10,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Well, on the point of Stafford I have to disagree - that forgiveness is not what it seems. There are so many stipulations on it that it's more of a theory than an actual program. Most people cannot use it, no matter where they work or for how long.

And there are education programs for single mothers - there is one group that works in my area and often I get the moms in my class. However, it can't be found by searching "education grants" or anything like that - that just leads to spam. It's a local organization for single moms - OP needs to refine her google skills.

But you are right on about Ashford. Why on earth is OP going there? And I seriously doubt, OP, that you will really be making plenty to pay off your loans. That sounds like something the school told you. If you are majoring in business it's likely you are throwing your money away. What evidence do you really have that you'll be making enough money to pay off the loans? You really should not be taking out loans at all. Sue the father for support or something.

I am majoring in m HR management with a minor in business and then I will use my remaining credits in a specialty area... considering healthcare administration. Please tell me how to refine the search for what I am looking for, I am going to call a few local schools and see about transferring, and check into a stafford loan I was unaware of. I have no problems paying off my loans, but I need to survive now, and anything I do is all catch 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The people on this board only know what YOU tell us.
All the bolded words above... what may be obvious to you is not us.
So don't get upset when people make suggestions... no one is "talking to me like an idiot with no "common sense" " as you so nicely put it.

And yes, you are paying through the teeth for a scam school.
There has to be better local options for you, that can be more affordable.

Because someone told me I had no common sense, people do know what I tell them, and I explained those things. That is why I used those words... That being said I did not mean to offend anyone but the person who said I had no common sense, and really need help from people who know this situation. :

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,835,531 times
Quote:
emmyann

Thats all been taken care of, the 60.00 a month he has to pay does not go very far, lol.
In my previous comment, I addressed this situation of not being able to squeeze blood from a turnip, but apparently my "comment was rude" and deleted. But if anybody read my comment that was deleted, you can CLEARLY see based on Emmy's response that everything I said about the situation was correct due to the fact she can only get $60 a month from him. Okay, but I'll move on....I don't see how the comment was rude, but it surely addressed the crap that goes on out here which of course the "PC" society shames anybody from addressing.

Quote:
I don't have to fake disability, my doctor is telling me not to work right now for medical reasons, I am actually going to see a disability attorney tomorrow and apply for tanf, when I reveal I am in school, I could lose my ebt because I don't know how long they give me to find a job for 20 hours a week, but I can't get daycare assistance through tanf if I am already working. I am intersted in the details you are talking about for a stafford loan to build my bank account and have it forgiven, but I don't want to work for a non profit necessarily, I need to make good money for my child. I did ashford because it was reccomended to me by a friend, and it was done so fast and easy. I am in my second class, and I do like the set up of 1 class every 5 weeks, but would like to finish as soon as possible. HELP PLEASE LOL

Well, I'm a conservative but the system is setup honestly to help single mothers and provide tons of loopholes. So I say milk the system:

- Don't work, stay on the EBT, Disability payments and other Welfare benefits as long as you can. You are right, when you actually start working they will cut those out. They don't really cut them out with School, it depends on the State and it also depends on if you are going to school full time or part-time.

- Ashford is TOO EXPENSIVE. You will end up paying $50,000 for a degree from a for-profit university with a bad reputation due to who they are owned by. Switch to a local community college they have online programs, then when you graduate transfer to a 4 year state school. You will save $20,000 - $25,000 doing this. Plus your Pell Grant won't pay for Ashford in full, so if you are going to Ashford right now (whether you realize it OR NOT) you are paying for it through STAFFORD STUDENT LOANS. That's another drawback with for-profit colleges, they PREY on single mothers because they know they don't really understand the financial aid system as much, and sell them on "financial aid packages" having the single mothers under the impression "it's all paid for" when in fact they are taking out tons of student loan debt for a for-profit institution with a bad reputation.

- The Student Loans bulking up your bank account and being strategically structured for pay-off by the Government, is a little advanced to be honest. I say we revisit that once you get the college enrollment part efficient by getting out of Ashford. The strategy doesn't work as good as it could if the loans are spent on tuition.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
In my previous comment, I addressed this situation of not being able to squeeze blood from a turnip, but apparently my "comment was rude" and deleted. But if anybody read my comment that was deleted, you can CLEARLY see based on Emmy's response that everything I said about the situation was correct due to the fact she can only get $60 a month from him. Okay, but I'll move on....I don't see how the comment was rude, but it surely addressed the crap that goes on out here which of course the "PC" society shames anybody from addressing.

Well, I'm a conservative but the system is setup honestly to help single mothers and provide tons of loopholes. So I say milk the system:

- Don't work, stay on the EBT, Disability payments and other Welfare benefits as long as you can. You are right, when you actually start working they will cut those out. They don't really cut them out with School, it depends on the State and it also depends on if you are going to school full time or part-time.

- Ashford is TOO EXPENSIVE. You will end up paying $50,000 for a degree from a for-profit university with a bad reputation due to who they are owned by. Switch to a local community college they have online programs, then when you graduate transfer to a 4 year state school. You will save $20,000 - $25,000 doing this. Plus your Pell Grant won't pay for Ashford in full, so if you are going to Ashford right now (whether you realize it OR NOT) you are paying for it through STAFFORD STUDENT LOANS. That's another drawback with for-profit colleges, they PREY on single mothers because they know they don't really understand the financial aid system as much, and sell them on "financial aid packages" having the single mothers under the impression "it's all paid for" when in fact they are taking out tons of student loan debt for a for-profit institution with a bad reputation.

- The Student Loans bulking up your bank account and being strategically structured for pay-off by the Government, is a little advanced to be honest. I say we revisit that once you get the college enrollment part efficient by getting out of Ashford. The strategy doesn't work as good as it could if the loans are spent on tuition.

I don't know why your comments were removed, I think they were implying I was being rude by those bold terms, there was someone who posted I had no common sense... unless that was you to start with lol, i dont remember the name... I think the info you have given me is good, and I am have already looked for in state schools that offer my degree online, the ebt requires you to work 20 hours a week, so if I apply for tanf and say I am in school I will lose ebt, I legitimately do have the disability option though.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Default grants, scholarships, and loans.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for legitimate (not those that have a hundred schools call you) site, outside of my financial aid office and fasfa, that offers additional financial aid in grants, scholarships, and even loans. I have done all the obvious research, and apparantly my google expertise sucks lol. I keep finding sites that regaurdless what they say just lead you to trying to find a school when I am already enrolled. My financial aid has no additional resources for me to look at. I have been told I can find things for being a woman, as well as being a single mother. I also have no income coming in and government assistance in not an option. I would like to find this additional financial aid, to double classes which is not covered by what I receive already, and for a stipen. The school I am at is expensive, however I am very happy with it. It is an online school with a great structure that works for me and my degree and learning structure. Any help with legitimate sites or where to go is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM

809 posts, read 1,334,292 times
Fastweb.com allows you to set up a profile and receive notices for scholarships- but it takes time to apply for the scholarships- I know of no where that will give you a stipend other than the institution you are attending.
As far as additional private loans- your institution should be able to give you a list of financial institutions that has loans for students although I don't think this is a good option.

As I tell my students when they don't have enough money to attend their DREAM school. I want to drive a BMW but my Nissan gets me to and from wherever I want to go. (Perhaps the school is too expensive).

Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,598,388 times
Two threads have been merged.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,598,388 times
I always think of the AAUW when an adult woman talks about going back to college: Educational Funding and Awards : AAUW: Empowering Women Since 1881

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM

67 posts, read 58,969 times
Ashford university does not have a good reputation, you should check out the reviews online, Google it and if I were u I would enroll in a school that is in your home state but do the online version of it. Are you getting undergrad in business? I am also divorced with 2 kids and re starting my schooling so I can complete my BS in Health Administration. With my previous college credits it will take me just under 2yrs to complete it. I got accepted to University of Baltimore and Bay Path university, college for women in Boston. Of course both schools have real campuses an are regionally accredited and I also filled out fafsa and got approved of $5500 pell grant from my home state Maryland and both schools offer multiple scholarships for returning students or nontraditional students, transfer students and for women. I really would reconsider Ashford, its expensive and I did extensive research on actual colleges that offer online degrees and there success rates of students actually completely their degrees. Which state do you live in? I am self employed and run a small medical billing company for the past 10yrs and want to complete my degree so that I can do MA in public health/Health admin. I am not looking for new career but want to add more services to my current business and have that degree for my own personal fulfillment

sasha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities