Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,084 times

Advertisements

Here is a good question, 'how good are university degrees?' I worked teaching ESL in S.E. Asia and our most recent employees all have had masters or Ph.D.s. They proved pretty much useless. Degree holding means nothing, doing means everything. Having said that, I know there is value in a degree as a measure of commitment. Learning is one of the most enjoyable things one can do. There are many people with fake degrees teaching here, especially with fake or life experience degrees. I Googled, ‘life experience degrees suck’. There are some informative YouTubes on the subject. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 AM

6 posts, read 15,000 times
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Here is a good question for us all... 'how good are university degrees?' I worked teaching ESL in S.E. Asia and our three most recent employees, all have had masters or Ph.D.s. They proved pretty much useless. Degree holding means nothing, doing means everything. Having said that, I know there's value in a degree as a measurment of commitment. Learning is one of the most enjoyable things one can do. There are many people with fake degrees teaching in Asia with fake or life experience degrees. I Googled, ‘life experience degrees suck’ and found some informative YouTubes on the subject. Cheers. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 AM

6 posts, read 15,000 times
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]How good are university degrees? I worked teaching ESL in S.E. Asia and our three most recent employees all have had masters or Ph.D.s. They proved pretty much useless. Degree holding means nothing, doing means everything. Having said that, I know there is value in a degree as a measure of commitment. Learning is one of the most enjoyable things one can do. There are many people with fake degrees teaching here with fake or life experience degrees. I Googled, ‘life experience degrees suck’. There are some informative YouTubes on the subject. IMHO if your degree comes from a site that is not a dot.edu site, you've dead in the water. Good luck. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Getting scammed out of $600 for this WOULD be a valuable lesson in life experience....

Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,144 times
Conflict is good for the forum... Hmm. Seems like this issue gets people all excited. I did a little research on it and found that a youtube search of 'avoid doctorate fraud now'. You will find some interesting info. I'm not sure if life experience degrees are any good, but I always have wondered how you explain your school is a .com site. Hmm. (again), so long.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,144 times
Here's one simple secret, look for a .edu. If you 'school' is a .com, .net or .org site, it is not a school. Google 'life experience degrees suck' and see the difference.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
My husband recently received information regarding an online life experience degree from Ashford University. Has anyone heard of this? Is it a real Bachelor's degree or a hoax? The deal is that based on his work experience, he could earn a degree in his field. The website says it is a legitimate degree. The cost is around $600. Just curious, does anyone have one of these degrees?
I just graduated Ashford finishing up my old credits with their online program. I am now in graduate school there.

What this means is, you can "clep out" of a class for a fee, to use your real life experiences or work experience by writing a paper I believe, and submitting other requirements.

You're basically paying your way out of a general course.

My husband chose to not pay, and just take the courses since he enrolled as a Freshman.

It is not a hoax, I don't know about a degree, but with all of their degree programs, especially online, you can skip a few mundane general ed classes this way if you're willing to pay the fee.

That's how I understand this to work because they used it as a sales pitch to lure my husband along for the ride with me since I only had a year left for my Bachelor's, and he decided to just take the general education courses.

Which I would suggest doing anyways online especially because the material has been updated to reflect today's culture and living.

When we were in school last, the internet had not been invented yet, so we needed those courses to learn what is going on today anyway.

For the record, I was very happy with my Ashford education. I just graduated with my BA in communications with distinction: 4.0 GPA in the top 6% of my class.

Grad school is great so far, I'm on my second class now.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I just graduated Ashford finishing up my old credits with their online program. I am now in graduate school there.

What this means is, you can "clep out" of a class for a fee, to use your real life experiences or work experience by writing a paper I believe, and submitting other requirements.

You're basically paying your way out of a general course.

My husband chose to not pay, and just take the courses since he enrolled as a Freshman.

It is not a hoax, I don't know about a degree, but with all of their degree programs, especially online, you can skip a few mundane general ed classes this way if you're willing to pay the fee.

That's how I understand this to work because they used it as a sales pitch to lure my husband along for the ride with me since I only had a year left for my Bachelor's, and he decided to just take the general education courses.

Which I would suggest doing anyways online especially because the material has been updated to reflect today's culture and living.

When we were in school last, the internet had not been invented yet, so we needed those courses to learn what is going on today anyway.

For the record, I was very happy with my Ashford education. I just graduated with my BA in communications with distinction: 4.0 GPA in the top 6% of my class.

Grad school is great so far, I'm on my second class now.
I thought clepping was about demonstrating expertise in a specific area, therefore the course would not be necessary. What kind of classes can be clepped at Ashford for a fee and what kind of life experience? Just curious.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 AM

5 posts, read 8,399 times
Default Life Experience Degrees Suck

Our organization, News Wire Service, has done rather extensive research into Life Experience Degrees. We have yet to finalize our data and publish it, but anyone interested in the topic can gain some useful information if they Google 'life experience degrees suck'. We look forward to posting our findings sometime in the not-to-distant future. N.W.S.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 AM

5 posts, read 8,399 times
If you are interested in a life experience degree you might want to Google 'life experience degrees suck'. It is pretty informative. Just remember not all is as it appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities