Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 07:01 AM

63 posts, read 81,107 times

Advertisements

I am attending an adult education program to improve my skills. Because it has been quite a few years since I was in college, I am just fascinated by the interaction between the instructor and the students.

One of the main teachers in this program does not like to lecture and much prefers student projects, presentations, case studies and role playing exercises. I think this approach is great but many students just wish she would lecture the entire time, so they could doze off and just put in their time.

The main words many of the students like to use is, "I'm shy," so they can get a pass from having to talk in class. One student when called on will put her hand in front of her face and say over and over again, "SHY, SHY, SHY!" Others will have nothing to say when called on other than a few whispers.

The instructor will walk over and stand over them and ask them for more insight. The students will look down and without being embarrassed will say nothing even though they teacher is standing over them and every student is looking at them too. The train wreak is almost comical.

What can the teachers do about these lazy or shy students? SHY SHY SHY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Make participation part of the grade.

Make it clear in the course description and syllabus what is required in the class and the set up of the class.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:53 AM

63 posts, read 81,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Make participation part of the grade.

Make it clear in the course description and syllabus what is required in the class and the set up of the class.
There is no grade. It is a certificate program and historically the students know that all they have to do is show up and they get credit.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
My husband has a mix in his classes, because in his field, you are often called upon to make presentations to clients and co-workers, and be able to communicate your thoughts and decision-making clearly. We're not talking making Toastmaster public speakers out of them -- just being able to organize your thoughts and present them in a coherent manner. He has noticed that every semester, someone will ask him not to call on them in class because they are "afraid" to talk in public. To each of them, he says, "Well, then, you might as well drop the class now, because if you don't talk, you aren't going to do very well." He uses a participation grade as a factor in his final grading, and is always bemused at the students who say, "But I was there!" Yes, but they never answered when called upon and they never volunteered. Sitting in a seat is not "participating." One kid actually had the balls to say, "But I was at over half the classes this semester!" For that, he thought he should get full points for participation?! (PS, he wasn't, because my husband takes attendance :-) Another student, after seeing his grades and seeing that his participation score cost him a higher grade, brought a letter from a doctor saying that the student had "mild social anxiety" and that was his excuse for not participating in class. (Funny he didn't bring it at the beginning of class - and no, it didn't raise his grade.)

My husband has also had students come to him early in a class and express their fears about speaking in class. He has worked with them, to the point of going over the next class period's material with them, and telling them exactly what he will ask them, and practice their answer with them so they can have their answer prepared and ready. Once they realize that the ground will not open up and swallow them, and that life will go on as usual even if they stutter or stumble over a word or two, they begin to relax.

Being shy is not a handicap -- it is self-consciousness that has been mollycoddled until it becomes an excuse. A lot of college kids have taken to hiding behind a computer screen or text messages, etc., and ARE lousy public speakers. But it's a learned skill -- and one that needs to be taught.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
There is no grade. It is a certificate program and historically the students know that all they have to do is show up and they get credit.

So its not like a real class then. Got it.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
I am attending an adult education program to improve my skills. Because it has been quite a few years since I was in college, I am just fascinated by the interaction between the instructor and the students.

One of the main teachers in this program does not like to lecture and much prefers student projects, presentations, case studies and role playing exercises. I think this approach is great but many students just wish she would lecture the entire time, so they could doze off and just put in their time.

The main words many of the students like to use is, "I'm shy," so they can get a pass from having to talk in class. One student when called on will put her hand in front of her face and say over and over again, "SHY, SHY, SHY!" Others will have nothing to say when called on other than a few whispers.

The instructor will walk over and stand over them and ask them for more insight. The students will look down and without being embarrassed will say nothing even though they teacher is standing over them and every student is looking at them too. The train wreak is almost comical.

Just leave it. I would love to go to a class like that. Sounds like fun!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So its not like a real class then. Got it.
It's not a regular college class, no.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,847 times
Quote:

I am not sure what the teacher can do considering this is not a real class. The adult education classes that I have enrolled in are classes people want to take and I prefer the student projects and presentations over lectures. However, if there are some truly shy people in the classroom, having someone stand over them waiting for an answer and everyone else staring at them is not the right approach.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
I hope it is not at a for profit scams school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities