Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,720,481 times

Advertisements

The deadline for the program is June. Trying to knock out the essay for next Thursday, date of open house. I started writing the essay last week. I rewrote it twice and having a challenge conveying why I be a good candidate for the program.

Any advice?

I am trying to apply to a Masters of Education program. I usually become too wordy and non sensual by the middle paragraph. I am able to connect my introduction to my closing, but having difficulty with the body.

The focus of the essay is the question of "Who I Am." Just a progression of my work experience that led me to the direction wanting to become a teacher.

Any advice be appreciated

Right now going back to the drawing board. Going to outline my work experience what I did and correlate how that experience guided me towards an interest in teaching.

I am worried that could make my essay dry. There is no one or any experience that stands out why I want to become a teacher.

Again appreciate any feedback or advice.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-22-2015 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,007,073 times
A Masters degree is not "college." Sounds like a statement of purpose for a grad school essay. This is not a college essay. Little importance is placed on it, except you should show that you have the motivation to finish the program and actually know what you are getting yourself into and will work in the field afterwards. As long as it isn't full of grammar errors and such, and is reasonably well-written, it is unlikely to be cause you to be rejected. Especially since graduate education programs are not usually very competitive.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Anything submitted should be non sensual.

In your state, does an MSEd automatically make you eligible to be a teacher?

As long as you have the requisite GPA and the cash, don't expect this to be a major piece of the application puzzle. I think your sentence about correlating experience towards your degree program is fine. No one expects you to write an essay about how you've wanted to be a teacher since you were six years old. They want to know that you are interested in the program and that you have the time to commit to the program.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 AM

22,618 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I usually become to wordy and non sensual by the middle paragraph.

Sensual should not even be a part of it!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
Quote:
The deadline for the program is June. Trying to knock out the essay for next Thursday, date of open house. I started writing the essay last week. I rewrote it twice and having a challenge conveying why I be a good candidate for the program.

Any advice?

I am trying to apply to a Masters of Education program. I usually become too wordy and non sensual by the middle paragraph. I am able to connect my introduction to my closing, but having difficulty with the body.

The focus of the essay is the question of "Who I Am." Just a progression of my work experience that led me to the direction wanting to become a teacher.

Any advice be appreciated

Right now going back to the drawing board. Going to outline my work experience what I did and correlate how that experience guided me towards an interest in teaching.

I am worried that could make my essay dry. There is no one or any experience that stands out why I want to become a teacher.

Again appreciate any feedback or advice.
I'm not sure how we can help. It seems pretty straightforward - talk about how your life has pointed you in the direction of a masters in education program. Unless part of that path was teaching sex ed, I would try NOT to be sensual!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,720,481 times
Sensical sorry auto correct ha funny.

Thanks for the feedback.

I added in an extra paragraph of my work in facilitating groups to demonstrate my experience. Now just going to go through the grammar, make sure everything sounds okay, and have a second pair of eyes give it a look over before I send it off.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,626,487 times
Quote:
I added in an extra paragraph of my work in facilitating groups to demonstrate my experience. Now just going to go through the grammar, make sure everything sounds okay, and have a second pair of eyes give it a look over before I send it off.
Having someone proof-read is wise. But your general approach to the question sounds fine to me.

The essay may be perfunctory or it may matter a lot as a tie-break - it really depends on the program.

As someone who has read more of these essays than I care to remember, my advice would be that spelling/grammatical errors will likely hurt you more than having 'the most profound insight' ever will actually help you. If it's coherent without errors, unless the program is incredibly competitive (which you could presumably see from enrollment rate data), it will likely suffice.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
As long as it isn't full of grammar errors and such, and is reasonably well-written, it is unlikely to be cause you to be rejected. Especially since graduate education programs are not usually very competitive.
Just a quick clarification question: When you say "graduate education programs" do you mean grad school in general or specifically programs in education? Most grad school programs in technical fields are highly competitive so making sure we are on the same page.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,511,727 times
Maybe too late, but I completely agree that typos and grammatical errors will kill your essay. Be honest and true to yourself and honest about your journey. In my field, grad essays do matter- especially if it's a competitive program. Try not to write what you think they want to hear- that is what comes out as dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities