Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Can someone testify to any actual job applications or career interviews where they required and reviewed your college transcript? Who is doing that?
Very common in finance and consulting.

ETA: The GPA is asked for, sometimes the transcript as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM

765 posts, read 987,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, we require it. We hire mostly technical people and need to know if you a) have the technical background to even begin on the job, and b) have demonstrated the ability to learn difficult material.

It may not demonstrate that you have the knowledge to do the specific job, but it does demonstrate that you have the ability to learn.
Not always true
Some students cheat their way thru or pick the easiest professor who is not tough on grading

Old 05-30-2015, 11:25 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Not always true
Some students cheat their way thru or pick the easiest professor who is not tough on grading
The instances of someone getting through an entire bachelors program that way with a high GPA is relatively low. Sure it happens, but not enough to discount GPAs altogether IMO. Obviously you have internships, extracuuriculars and recommendations as well to corroborate the candidate's skill level if you are concerned.

I'm not saying there's a huge difference between a 3.5 and a 4.0 or that GPAs are the end all be all, but for certain jobs there is a real difference in hiring a 2.4 vs a 3.5, and I would discount that due to the remote possibility of cheating.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, we require it. We hire mostly technical people and need to know if you a) have the technical background to even begin on the job, and b) have demonstrated the ability to learn difficult material.

It may not demonstrate that you have the knowledge to do the specific job, but it does demonstrate that you have the ability to learn.
Who is "we?" What industry are you? What disciplines do you require college transcripts? Is that the case for every role in your company or only certain roles?

Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,537 times
Quote:
Can someone testify to any actual job applications or career interviews where they required and reviewed your college transcript? Who is doing that?
--Government jobs
--Any teaching job
--My husband works in finance, they require transcripts for all new college grads
--Another friend runs the IT department for a major corporation--all new grads are required to submit transcripts
--every internship our kids applied to required a transcript
--look up any entry level job that requires a college degree in your area and start the application process, almost all of them will ask for a GPA at minimum but most will want a transcript.

Again, we are talking entry level jobs--except for government jobs that might require one at any level--not 10+ years of experience jobs...

Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
--Government jobs
None I know of in the federal government. But they did ask during the polygraph "Have you ever lied about yourself to impress someone else?"

Quote:
--Any teaching job
Not my wife's, and that's been in a number of districts around the country. Showed diploma, never showed transcript.

Quote:
--My husband works in finance, they require transcripts for all new college grads
Someone else has said that, okay.

Quote:
--Another friend runs the IT department for a major corporation--all new grads are required to submit transcripts
Not mine, and I'm in Systems in a Fortune 50 company that utterly depends on Systems. They do want to see certifications, though.

Quote:
--every internship our kids applied to required a transcript
Theoretically, that's part of his education process, not a real job.

Quote:
--look up any entry level job that requires a college degree in your area and start the application process, almost all of them will ask for a GPA at minimum but most will want a transcript.
Nope.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,303,713 times
GPA is important for some science students, but not all. I am a professor and I can tell who cares about grades and who cares about learning. The pre professional health students are nuts about grades because their acceptance into medical/pharmacy/dental/vet/PA/PT school is highly influenced by GPA. The chemistry and biology majors who want to go to graduate school care a whole lot more about research and paper authorship than grades, as that is the ticket to research fellowships and grad acceptance, although a reasonable GPA is still required. Students who have an internship and a job lined up just want to pass with the minimum grades that will allow them to graduate.

When I first graduated from college but before graduate school, I worked for Procter and Gamble for two years doing analytical chemistry, and I am still great friends with my first boss, despite the fact that I left the company for grad school and academia. At the time I was not aware of how stiff the competition was for the entry level chemistry position. Years later, I asked my friend why they hired me. I asked "Was it the name on my degree? Was it my GPA? My research experience? My math double major? My stunning good looks?" After he finished laughing, he said that those things might have played a tiny part, but the most important piece that sealed the deal was the recommendation of my research adviser. He said that everything in an application is somewhat subjective, but that he can tell immediately when checking references if something is amiss, while a glowing reference seals the deal. A research adviser whose student does the bare minimum is typically not going to give the most glowing recommendation.

There are still some students who are brilliant enough to get A's despite not working hard, and there are hard working students who really care about grades but who can barely pass. As an adviser, I make sure that my students are aware of how grades, research, extracurriculars, etc. will create and limit opportunities, and I let them spend their time and effort their way.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:04 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,537 times
Quote:
None I know of in the federal government. But they did ask during the polygraph "Have you ever lied about yourself to impress someone else?"

Not my wife's, and that's been in a number of districts around the country. Showed diploma, never showed transcript.

Someone else has said that, okay.

Not mine, and I'm in Systems in a Fortune 50 company that utterly depends on Systems. They do want to see certifications, though.

Theoretically, that's part of his education process, not a real job.

Nope.
Ask your wife what she had to supply for her FIRST job...we are not talking about jobs after that...but you seem to keep coming back to that. Everyone else here is telling you that you are wrong but I guess I don't know what else to do to convince you otherwise so I guess you are right???

From the application section for a job listing in our area for a government position:

Cover letter and Resume

Military Discharge Separation Papers DD214 showing box 24: Character of
Service (If Applicable)

Copy of Education Diplomas and/or Certificates and Transcripts

Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Ask your wife what she had to supply for her FIRST job...we are not talking about jobs after that...but you seem to keep coming back to that. Everyone else here is telling you that you are wrong but I guess I don't know what else to do to convince you otherwise so I guess you are right???

From the application section for a job listing in our area for a government position:

Cover letter and Resume

Military Discharge Separation Papers DD214 showing box 24: Character of
Service (If Applicable)

Copy of Education Diplomas and/or Certificates and Transcripts
My 28-year-old daughter has not had to supply a transcript with job applications either, not even for the same Fortune 50 company I work for. It was never requested.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:14 PM

102 posts, read 244,702 times
Of course it's true. I've gotten several Cs and was still able to get into a competitive program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities