Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 AM

579 posts, read 665,130 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that I am about to drop out of my PhD program, I am obviously not treating my PhD as a study abroad of the same length.

But is there a reason the college issued a warning on day 1 of graduate international orientation that students must not treat their graduate programs as if it was a study abroad of the same length?

I never really understood why, but I guess some reasons are discipline-dependent since some disciplines (anthropology, sociology, history, and so on, so forth) require cultural immersion for research effectiveness, and physics is not one such field. However, I know, deep down, that the warning is warranted as far as my field is concerned.

I knew, on the other hand, that PhD students would probably do more cultural immersion over 5-6 years than over 1, but less cultural immersion by unit of time, and it seems that students would usually do more immersion at the research stage than at the coursework stage (again by unit of time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 11:44 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
I have read this post twice and still have no idea what the OP is trying to say.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:49 AM

I guess I didn't fully understand how is doing a PhD abroad different from an undergraduate study abroad (other than research vs. coursework and length)...

Old 11-08-2015, 11:50 AM

371 posts, read 556,395 times
Are you referring to the fact that some students who study abroad are more interested in cultural experiences rather than studying? Otherwise I also don't know what you are referring to.

I haven't read all of your posts but I seem to recall that you never really wanted to attend your current graduate university and even before you began your PhD studies you were talking about applications to MBA programs. So I don't think the issue is study abroad related - PhD students (domestic or international) have to really want to be in a PhD program.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:57 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
I guess I didn't fully understand how is doing a PhD abroad different from an undergraduate study abroad (other than research vs. coursework and length)...
Sorry, but it still makes no sense. I don't know why you are even bringing up this point or what your story is. I think maybe you needed more ESL classes.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
Are you referring to the fact that some students who study abroad are more interested in cultural experiences rather than studying? Otherwise I also don't know what you are referring to.
That might be understandable for an undergraduate study abroad, especially if the study abroad grades do not count towards the home university's GPA.

I knew some fields were more conducive to actually mesh cultural experiences with one's learning but, as I said, physics is not one of those fields.

Quote:
I haven't read all of your posts but I seem to recall that you never really wanted to attend your current graduate university and even before you began your PhD studies you were talking about applications to MBA programs. So I don't think the issue is study abroad related - PhD students (domestic or international) have to really want to be in a PhD program.
It's just that I'm rather cautious by nature, just so that I knew what to do if, for some reason, I couldn't finish that PhD or otherwise somehow needed a MBA.

But what actually makes me unhappy now, to the point of dropping out, is that I entertained an unhealthy relationship with my prospective research topic. It was allowed to pester due to my past research experience, which showed that I could actually work on a closely related topic (and, from my standpoint, made my mental health problems worsen), as well as the demands placed by prospective advisors working on the topic I wanted out of my PhD, to take on one student apiece, so that I could, down the road, work on these very topics I used to crave.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:53 AM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
Basically, a PhD is more than a full-time job. If you don't go into it thinking that you're okay with setting everything else aside so you can devote yourself to your topic, there's a decent chance you won't finish. It's possible to have a family while you're in grad school, but just about everything else wastes time you could be spending on research.

You don't go into grad school expecting to spend significant time learning anything outside of your subject.

Undergrad study abroad programs are different. They're basically all about the experience. You probably get more out of just being in the country than you get out of your undergrad study abroad classes.

I think that's the point that's being made.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
I would agree with OwlAndSparrow's interpretation.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Basically, a PhD is more than a full-time job. If you don't go into it thinking that you're okay with setting everything else aside so you can devote yourself to your topic, there's a decent chance you won't finish. It's possible to have a family while you're in grad school, but just about everything else wastes time you could be spending on research.

You don't go into grad school expecting to spend significant time learning anything outside of your subject.

Undergrad study abroad programs are different. They're basically all about the experience. You probably get more out of just being in the country than you get out of your undergrad study abroad classes.

I would think that mostly applies to masters as well, since I know there were attendees in the audience that were masters matriculants...

Now I understand.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
I am not sure what you are asking either but I think you are trying to compare a semester-long study abroad in undergrad to a full program study abroad PhD program. Why are they treated differently, because they are different. Generally when an undergrad does a study abroad it is for one semester and they usually take some general education courses while there. You want to do a full PhD program somewhere for what, 2 years, taking all of your classes at a foreign institution? Is that what you are asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities