Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,546,929 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing lately how campuses thwart the presence of conservative speakers, and I'm wondering how common this is?

Recently, a conservative speaker event has been cancelled last minute. True this particular speaker is very blunt and forceful in his opinions, but I don't understand why he wouldn't be able to share his point of view.
I mean if someone comes to speak, if even on political issues, don't they just do their speech and then the students mull over what they've said and leave it at that?

I'm asking in this forum because I'd like to hear from those involved in higher education if this situation common or is rare?

Thanks!

University President Shuts Down Conservative Journalist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 04:25 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,029,159 times
"Shapiro’s event caused consternation among some on campus, with liberal professors and students promising to protest the event."

Wouldn't the best response be to attend, ask the toughest possible questions during the Q+A, and call him out on his BS? Example: At my college, there was a very popular "I Agree With Jason" speaker. Jason being a well-known athlete who was a Christian. Some admittedly obnoxious atheists (one in particular) dominated the hell out of the Q+A.

Title: "When Diversity Becomes a Problem." This is hardly worse than what our Chief Justice recently said: "what are the benefits of diversity in a physics classroom?"

Old 02-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
"Shapiro’s event caused consternation among some on campus, with liberal professors and students promising to protest the event."

Wouldn't the best response be to attend, ask the toughest possible questions during the Q+A, and call him out on his BS? Example: At my college, there was a very popular "I Agree With Jason" speaker. Jason being a well-known athlete who was a Christian. Some admittedly obnoxious atheists (one in particular) dominated the hell out of the Q+A.

Title: "When Diversity Becomes a Problem." This is hardly worse than what our Chief Justice recently said: "what are the benefits of diversity in a physics classroom?"
I agree... instead of protesting, confront and clarify the disagreements during a Q&A!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I agree... instead of protesting, confront and clarify the disagreements during a Q&A!

That's is how reasonable adults engage in discourse. A significant number of people on campuses just want to stomp their feet and throw a hissy fit -- they are not interested in discourse -- they are interested in silencing those who do not believe as they do.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Are we really calling Ben Shapiro a journalist, now?

He came to the university I work for after spreading abject lies for years in his publication, Truth Revolt. And, just as suggested here, rather than protest our students asked questions and held his feet to the fire to actually answer them like a grown up rather than doused in rhetoric and scare tactics as he seemed accustomed to. Even the conservative student group who invited him grilled him. It was amusing.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Are we really calling Ben Shapiro a journalist, now?
"Journalism" casts a pretty wide net. Of course Shapiro's credentials isn't the question.
Glad he wasn't silenced and you had the opportunity to challenge him.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Sometimes I wish they would have more conservative type speakers so that both sides can be heard.
A college is for learning, not indoctrinating.

My son went to a campus speech, not because he wanted to but because it was "extra credit" for a class.
It was a motivational talk about careers and your future. In a nutshell though the speaker told the students to do what makes them feel good. There was no talk of finances, or salary ranges or career ladders, etc. It was all about "feeling good about yourself" first.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
I own Ben Shapiro's book, "Brainwashed." It's pretty old now (2004) but at the time he wrote it, it was good stuff and not discussed as much as it is now.

Here's the Amazon description: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwashed-Un...ds=brainwashed

Quote:
When parents send their children off to college, mom and dad hope they'll return more cultivated, knowledgeable, and astute--able to see issues from all points of view. But, according to Ben Shapiro, there's only one view allowed on most college campuses: a rabid brand of liberalism that must be swallowed hook, line, and sinker. In this explosive book, Ben Shapiro, a college student himself, reveals how America's university system is one of the largest brainwashing machines on the planet.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-01-2016 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: added attribution link and removed extra sentences - please only quote three sentences

Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I own Ben Shapiro's book, "Brainwashed." It's pretty old now (2004) but at the time he wrote it, it was good stuff and not discussed as much as it is now.

Here's the Amazon description:http://www.amazon.com/Brainwashed-Un...ds=brainwashed

Quote:
When parents send their children off to college, mom and dad hope they'll return more cultivated, knowledgeable, and astute--able to see issues from all points of view. But, according to Ben Shapiro, there's only one view allowed on most college campuses: a rabid brand of liberalism that must be swallowed hook, line, and sinker. In this explosive book, Ben Shapiro, a college student himself, reveals how America's university system is one of the largest brainwashing machines on the planet.

I never even heard of the guy until this thread.
Funny tho- I have the same exact thoughts
on all public education, from
kindergarten all the way to college.
It's the easiest way to brainwash the masses.
I'm going to get the book-
sounds like the guy is a gentleman & a scholar.

BTW universities are not ever going to have conservatives as guest speakers.....
That's in direct opposition to their agendas.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-01-2016 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I never even heard of the guy until this thread.
Funny tho- I have the same exact thoughts
on all public education, from
kindergarten all the way to college.
It's the easiest way to brainwash the masses.
I'm going to get the book-
sounds like the guy is a gentleman & a scholar.

BTW universities are not ever going to have conservatives as guest speakers.....
That's in direct opposition to their agendas.
I only recently discovered him. He's pretty "in your face" with his conservative views, but I can't deny he's sharp and articulate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities