Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Final Decision
Syracuse 7 58.33%
Binghamton 1 8.33%
Buffalo 0 0%
UCONN 1 8.33%
East Carolina 0 0%
Virginia Tech 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 PM

660 posts, read 661,672 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I would like to thank all of the posters who have helped me through this long, stressful stretch. There are too many people to mention from you all here and other people involved in my life. The schools I was accepted into were Syracuse University, University at Buffalo, Binghamton University, East Carolina University, Virginia Tech, and UCONN. I would like suggestions on my final decision. I know many people that are going to guide me and tell me what is best for me to do. I am focusing more on the things I was worrying about before and now just worrying about the schools themselves. I am also focusing on all the positives and not the negatives. The old thread was too hectic and a new poll is required.

I think I am going to eliminate VT and ECU and focus on the 4 Northeastern schools,but I will keep them in the polls.

Syracuse University
I love Syracuse University. It has a very good computer science program and just a beautiful campus. I have seen the campus in person and it definitely is in my opinion the nicest of all of them. There is also the Carrier Dome, easily one of the best college sports stadiums in the country. Also, Syracuse has one of the best Cross Country/Track teams in the entire nation, and Coach Fox is going to let me join the team and run for the Orange if I go to Syracuse University. And while I am not getting a Division I All Paid For Scholarship, I would get the best financial aid at 'Cuse. And Syracuse is the best academic school of all the schools I was accepted to.

University at Buffalo
UB is another school I love. I would get to run on their team also, but unfortunately their team is not known. It is OK with some good runners. Their computer science program is really good and got upgraded, but not as good as Syracuse. It would be cheaper than 'Cuse, but not too much after considering all financial aids. But UB is in a good area with a fun and exciting city. Many of the students also go into Canada because Canada has less strict drinking laws than America.

Binghamton University
Binghamton is exactly like Buffalo, only the students don’t travel to Canada and the city isn’t as exciting. But Binghamton has a well respected computer science program and a pretty good cross/track team. Despite being in the middle of nowhere, Binghamton is still well “centered.” Academically, it is on par with UCONN but a tier below Syracuse.

University of Connecticut
A very good school with a very good computer science program. I have met with Coach Roy once and said I could run for the team based on my times. But I have one thing I don’t like about UCONN: $$. Woah, UCONN is expensive, even for in state students. UCONN is ahead of Buffalo and maybe a baby step above UCONN, but not as good academically as Syracuse, which I could get into for cheap. But I am keeping UCONN near the top of my list.

East Carolina University
One time, ECU was one of my favorite universities. It started as my safety school, climbed up the ladder, but now back to safety school. Hearing about not graduating in 4 years is worrisome. And from reading posts from an ECU forum, the students there are kind of rude. ECU is underrated to the other 49 states, but people from NC seem to overrate it heavily. I also lost interest of living in NC after all together.

Virginia Tech
Obviously a good computer science school. Good athletics with Virginia Tech and Syracuse both being the only schools in a Power 5 Conference. But Blacksburg isn’t “centered,” it is literally isolated. And I would not be able to run for them unless I get lucky and can get on as a Walk-On.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:39 PM

12,933 posts, read 9,197,487 times
Sounds like you've already made your decision so no need for us to muddy it up. I would like to ask why athletics and conference is so important if you are not getting a scholarship? If you're paying big bucks to attend, the first thing should be the quality of education and how well you like educational environment.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,044,222 times
If you do have a scholarship at Syracuse, it sounds like that's the best match for you. Go for it!

I think I've heard better things about Binghamton than Buffalo. East Carolina is easily the worst on the list.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:19 PM

531 posts, read 503,448 times
While Syracuse may have offered the best financial aid, it also likely has the highest total cost of attendance. So looking at the net cost to you (and four year loan total) is more important than how much aid was in the FA package.

That said, I think it's a great school that offers a quintessential college experience. It also seems to meet a number of things on your own priority list, including the program and sport opportunities you wanted. Assuming the difference in net costs between Syracuse and the other schools is not more than a few thousand, and that your four-year loan total there is not much higher than the national average (around $32,000 for 4 years), then I say go Orange!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:33 PM

660 posts, read 661,672 times
Default My Trip To The 'Cuse

What a great day! First, I honestly don't want to visit the Virginia or ECU Campus due to the distance and those two are on the bottom of my list anyways. I still have to schedule a trip to UCONN, Binghamton, and Buffalo. Back to my trip, I left very early to go to up to the campus tours and the informational meeting. It was a positive experience and the student tour guide was very nice. After the tours, I went to the Carrier Dome. The Dome was very nice and definitely is the best college sports arena of all the schools I was accepted to in my opinion, but the game was terrible. The Orange played terrible today. Although Pitt is like 7-2 at the Dome. I bought a 'Cuse hat also today.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:13 AM

27,780 posts, read 28,897,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
The schools I was accepted into were Syracuse University, University at Buffalo, Binghamton University, East Carolina University, Virginia Tech, and UCONN. I would like suggestions on my final decision.
I think Virginia Tech has the highest ranking Computer Science (and Engineering) program out of those schools.

So, that is something to consider.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:47 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,346,251 times
Did you choose a school?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:02 PM

24,163 posts, read 32,692,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
Firstly, I would like to thank all of the posters who have helped me through this long, stressful stretch. There are too many people to mention from you all here and other people involved in my life. The schools I was accepted into were Syracuse University, University at Buffalo, Binghamton University, East Carolina University, Virginia Tech, and UCONN. I would like suggestions on my final decision. I know many people that are going to guide me and tell me what is best for me to do. I am focusing more on the things I was worrying about before and now just worrying about the schools themselves. I am also focusing on all the positives and not the negatives. The old thread was too hectic and a new poll is required.

I think I am going to eliminate VT and ECU and focus on the 4 Northeastern schools,but I will keep them in the polls.

Syracuse University
I love Syracuse University. It has a very good computer science program and just a beautiful campus. I have seen the campus in person and it definitely is in my opinion the nicest of all of them. There is also the Carrier Dome, easily one of the best college sports stadiums in the country. Also, Syracuse has one of the best Cross Country/Track teams in the entire nation, and Coach Fox is going to let me join the team and run for the Orange if I go to Syracuse University. And while I am not getting a Division I All Paid For Scholarship, I would get the best financial aid at 'Cuse. And Syracuse is the best academic school of all the schools I was accepted to.

University at Buffalo
UB is another school I love. I would get to run on their team also, but unfortunately their team is not known. It is OK with some good runners. Their computer science program is really good and got upgraded, but not as good as Syracuse. It would be cheaper than 'Cuse, but not too much after considering all financial aids. But UB is in a good area with a fun and exciting city. Many of the students also go into Canada because Canada has less strict drinking laws than America.

Binghamton University
Binghamton is exactly like Buffalo, only the students don’t travel to Canada and the city isn’t as exciting. But Binghamton has a well respected computer science program and a pretty good cross/track team. Despite being in the middle of nowhere, Binghamton is still well “centered.” Academically, it is on par with UCONN but a tier below Syracuse.

University of Connecticut
A very good school with a very good computer science program. I have met with Coach Roy once and said I could run for the team based on my times. But I have one thing I don’t like about UCONN: $$. Woah, UCONN is expensive, even for in state students. UCONN is ahead of Buffalo and maybe a baby step above UCONN, but not as good academically as Syracuse, which I could get into for cheap. But I am keeping UCONN near the top of my list.

East Carolina University
One time, ECU was one of my favorite universities. It started as my safety school, climbed up the ladder, but now back to safety school. Hearing about not graduating in 4 years is worrisome. And from reading posts from an ECU forum, the students there are kind of rude. ECU is underrated to the other 49 states, but people from NC seem to overrate it heavily. I also lost interest of living in NC after all together.

Virginia Tech
Obviously a good computer science school. Good athletics with Virginia Tech and Syracuse both being the only schools in a Power 5 Conference. But Blacksburg isn’t “centered,” it is literally isolated. And I would not be able to run for them unless I get lucky and can get on as a Walk-On.

If money is not an issue, I would say Syracuse. Long time ago I was accepted but I went to another college.

#FeeltheBern.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,459,920 times
Va Tech is cold and overcast and snowy in the winter. I wouldn't want to drive that far to college and still have cold weather.

On top of that, all the buildings are a gray stone which I find rather depressing especially in winter. Some people think it looks cool. The general scenery looks similar in Syracuse and that is the main appeal of Va Tech.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,459,920 times
Did you look at NC State? Good school, easier to get to from the north, warm weather, similar to Va Tech in academics. There is a good airport neary if you wantd to fly home for weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities