Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzguy2 View Post
Hello,

I am a sophomore at a small liberal arts college near Chicago. After deciding not to major in Spanish and English, I thought about Urban Planning. However, I soon realized that my school's program is not very good, and that most planning jobs are in the suburbs. So I decided to go for a degree in which I would actually learn something, so I have now decided on Spanish and Business Administration. I decided on business because 1) my school has a good business program, and 2) people have told me I would have a lot of opportunities with a double Spanish and Business degree. Is this true? What kinds of job would I be able to get? What would the salaries be like? What would the hours/quality of life be like?

Also, I'm just going for general business administration. I plan on taking a few courses in a couple concentrations so that I can get a feel of what I want to concentrate in when I go to grad school, hopefully right after undergrad. Also, I love geography and languages, so I plan on taking some geography and French courses before I graduate.

I also plan on doing more study abroad. I've already done a month stay in Chile, and will probably do a month in Spain next year, and another month in Chile later on, and possibly a month in Montreal to practice French sometime. Will this help me, too?

Thank you
It might help a little. You'll be competing with an awful lot of people (pretty much everyone majors in business now, and plenty of them are native spanish speakers). You'll have a much better chance at getting a job later if you can narrow down your focus and get some actual work experience in this country - for example, identify and focus on an actual job area, like human resources, nonprofit management, etc., and then make sure to get some relevant experience. Just the degrees themselves won't be that helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Im pretty sure the OP may have graduated by now, look at his posting date. That being said language isn't a terrible minor, as long as its a useful one. General Business however is a terrible idea. If you for instance majored in Finance and minored in Portuguese, then you could pick up a job at Embraer making some great money. If you majored in General Business and minored in Spanish, you may be a shift manager at Walmart.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Cocaine importer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities