Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 6,997 times

Advertisements

I have read that Cost Accounting is rather difficult and was planning to take it along with Taxation this semester. Has anyone taken these classes together at the same time?
I have done well in Managerial, Financial, Intermediate I and II as well as Advanced Accounting, but as an online student, I'm not sure what two classes will work well together during a semester. I've taken each class separately so far and am nervous about taking two classes at the same time. I would appreciate any advise I can get.
Thank you in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:14 PM

244 posts, read 414,580 times
Tax is quite different from your other classes due to the nature of the content. Just this semester I took Intermediate II, Accounting Information Systems, and Income Tax I at the same time (along with 4 other classes >_<). I don't see why taking Cost and Tax would be too much since you have already been through the real "bear" classes of Intermediate II and Advanced Accounting.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 AM

Thank you for your reply Zeppelin0129!
I guess I was under the impression that Cost was harder than Advanced, lol.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM

244 posts, read 414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BCPA2018 View Post
I have not taken Advanced or Cost so maybe someone else can chime in for me, but similar to Intermediate I being an extension of Principles I, Cost tends to be an extension of Principles II. You have performed well in all your other classes so I don't see it being a major issue. Just put the work in, you'll do great!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BCPA2018 View Post
For most students, advanced is much more difficult than cost. Cost isn't bad at all. Did you do good in your managerial acct. class? If so, you will probably do well in cost.

Most students won't have any problem with cost and tax in the same semester.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:26 AM

TaxPhd, thank you for responding to my question. I have done very well in all of my accounting courses so far (B+ to A), but I've also taken each class separately.
I didn't get my books in time so I'm only taking the Taxation class this semester.
My hope is to take Cost Acct with Auditing next semester and see how that goes....I'm nervous to take two classes that have advanced Acct as a prerequisite at the same time. Cost Acct prerequisites are minimal, so I'm hoping it won't be difficult.
Thanks again!!

Old 01-14-2017, 05:10 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times
I took Tax, Cost and Int. II together last semester. It was a lot of work on top of other classes and working full time, but I got through it. I think I could have done better if I had broken them up but it puts you behind here if you do that. I heard so many horror stories about Cost, but I actually liked Cost. It's not that scary, and by the sounds of it you're a good student, so I think you'll be fine when you do take it. Having Managerial under my belt helped me with Cost a lot. Most of the other students who really struggled hadn't taken that yet.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Crd08, Thank you for the response. I'm set for this semester now, so will be taking Cost next semester....it does sound a lot easier then some had led me to believe.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM

227 posts, read 258,006 times
If you did well in managerial, cost shouldn't be a problem. It's really just a lot of allocation methods, assuming your cost is the middle of the managerial/cost accounting courses. If you've done well in your other courses you will be fine. Taxation is a different beast. I only had to fight through two accounting courses - advanced financial and tax. But, both of those courses had the weakest professors.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 PM

Kodiakbearcountry,
Thanks for the feedback, lol. I had the worst Advanced Acct. professor and it made life difficult as well. Hopefully my Tax professor is decent or good at minimum.
I don't feel threatened by Cost at this point. Too many people have told me it wasn't bad. I must have read a few posts from ill prepared students and it gave me the wrong impression.
Thank you again for weighing in, I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities