Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

I'm in a desperate situation and I really need some advice rn.

I am currently attending UCI as a freshman...but due to personal issues, I'm not sure if I can make it. I haven't been eating properly, sleeping, or socializing at all and I know it' my fault...but I just can't seem to be happy here. Is it wrong for me to transfer to a CC close to home for 2 years then transfer to another UC (closer to home as well)? I just don't want to disappoint my parents. But at the same time because I am undeclared it is better for me to stay here?? or CC?? HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Just my personal opinion, but I feel you have to be happy at whatever college and major you pick to do well in them. If you are not happy at a particular college, then your focus won't be on your studies. The key thing if you decide to move is to understand why you're not happy there and what would make you happier someplace else and find that place. Simply being closer to home might sooth homesickness, but won't necessarily fix any underlying dislikes about either your major or your college.

There are so many choices. Perhaps a different UC campus or perhaps you would be more at home at a small Liberal Arts College than a University. Or even though it would be farther from home, you might find happiness at a college out of state.

You should visit your campus student education counseling office (or whatever it's called there) and discuss this with them. They might be able to learn more about you and give more specific advice than we can on the internet.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
I think it's a wise choice. Do it. CC will be a better transition from highschool to UC. You'll be actually benefited more from a smaller size and semester system fromm CC for the first 2 years. Don't feel bad. There're so many ways to get to your end goal. Explain it to your parents, and they'll understand and support you.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:46 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
I think it's a wise choice. Do it. CC will be a better transition from highschool to UC. You'll be actually benefited more from a smaller size and semester system fromm CC for the first 2 years. Don't feel bad. There're so many ways to get to your end goal. Explain it to your parents, and they'll understand and support you.
I agree with this. Do what you have to do to have academic success your first two years. If you're not happy someplace, that will be harder to do. Some people need a more gradual transition from HS to university. I don't see why your parents should be disappointed; it's only the first two years. Once you figure out what you want to major in, you can look at the UC's that have good programs in that field.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:23 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreap View Post
I'm in a desperate situation and I really need some advice rn.

I am currently attending UCI as a freshman...but due to personal issues, I'm not sure if I can make it. I haven't been eating properly, sleeping, or socializing at all and I know it' my fault...but I just can't seem to be happy here. Is it wrong for me to transfer to a CC close to home for 2 years then transfer to another UC (closer to home as well)? I just don't want to disappoint my parents. But at the same time because I am undeclared it is better for me to stay here?? or CC?? HELP
Nothing wrong with that at all. You will save a lot of money that way, for one. Just make sure that you pass all your classes this one semester so that you don't lose the credits, and the money paid for them. Get your cc application in early and make sure everything is ready to go when you get there, so you don't end up hanging around for a semester waiting for classes to start.

However, you don't say what the personal issues are - that could make a difference.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
I never understood the feeling that people feel the need to go to a 4yr school as a freshman. If you get your AA at a CC and then transfer, when you complete your 4yr degree, your degree will look just like everyone else's except you would have paid significantly less.

To the OP, go to your local CC and get your 2yr general degree and transfer.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I never understood the feeling that people feel the need to go to a 4yr school as a freshman. If you get your AA at a CC and then transfer, when you complete your 4yr degree, your degree will look just like everyone else's except you would have paid significantly less.

To the OP, go to your local CC and get your 2yr general degree and transfer.
One advantage of a big 4-yr school for the first two years is that they have a broader spectrum of course offerings to meet those basic requirements. Students have a much greater possibility of discovering a field that really turns them on. For example, not all CC's offer astronomy or oceanography. Arts offerings can be very limited too; no ethnomusicology department, for example. In the Humanities, there may not be a Comparative Religion class, much less specialized courses in world religions. Anthropology and archeology courses may be limited. Language offerings are usually very limited, as are history courses covering much outside of the US and Europe.

Some students feel stifled with only a bare-bones curriculum, and may not discover their calling until they're in the middle of their junior year, the first year at the 4-yr institution after CC, which is a bit late.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:25 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One advantage of a big 4-yr school for the first two years is that they have a broader spectrum of course offerings to meet those basic requirements. Students have a much greater possibility of discovering a field that really turns them on. For example, not all CC's offer astronomy or oceanography. Arts offerings can be very limited too; no ethnomusicology department, for example. In the Humanities, there may not be a Comparative Religion class, much less specialized courses in world religions. Anthropology and archeology courses may be limited. Language offerings are usually very limited, as are history courses covering much outside of the US and Europe.

Some students feel stifled with only a bare-bones curriculum, and may not discover their calling until they're in the middle of their junior year, the first year at the 4-yr institution after CC, which is a bit late.
The class offerings at my d's California CC absolutely weren't lacking or bare boned (and that could be said for the other nearby cc's). Just glancing at the spring class list at her cc, classes are offered in oceanography, astronomy (with a big lab), African American music and Latin American music, biblical literature, lots of anthropology, several foreign languages and they offer lots of Art (studio) and art history classes....and much more.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
The class offerings at my d's California CC absolutely weren't lacking or bare boned (and that could be said for the other nearby cc's). Just glancing at the spring class list at her cc, classes are offered in oceanography, astronomy (with a big lab), African American music and Latin American music, biblical literature, lots of anthropology, several foreign languages and they offer lots of Art (studio) and art history classes....and much more.
This sounds very cool! The CC in my town is much more limited. Well, for one thing, we're nowhere near an ocean, lol! But they do have an astronomy program and a small observatory. The only language offerings are Spanish, French and Chinese, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities