Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI-U of Michigan is private, so legacy is a big plus, you have all the credentials plus the "Dad" factor. In state/out of state has no bearing on U of Michigan admissions.
Michigan State (and the other state schools) have the in state/ out state quotas and admissions to weigh and consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Just an FYI-U of Michigan is private, so legacy is a big plus, you have all the credentials plus the "Dad" factor. In state/out of state has no bearing on U of Michigan admissions.
Michigan State (and the other state schools) have the in state/ out state quotas and admissions to weigh and consider.
U. Michigan Ann Arbor is Private?!?!?!? I guess you learn something new everyday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
cmdallas,
you sound like a very-well rounded young adult all ready! I think that you will be accepted at most any college you apply for. I say..GO FOR IT!!!
Thank you so much, I will give it all I have. the Thought of going to a great university keep me going everyday.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 PM

94 posts, read 419,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
The other schools that hold LEAD institutes are:

University of Pennsylvania (Wharton - The best business school in the country and the hardest to get into.)
Northwestern University (Kellogg - Another good one. )
Duke University (Fuqua)
Cornell University (Johnson)
Dartmouth College (Tuck)
University of Illinois
University of Georgia (Terry - very underrated)
University of Michigan (Ross)
University of Virginia (Darden)
Stanford University
Just an fyi, the Johnson Business School at Cornell is a graduate school although the school offers some classes that undergraduates may take. Many undergraduates who are interested in business apply to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (Cornell has 7 undegraduate colleges) and major in applied econonomics and management. Some apply to the School of Hotel Management. Others major in policy, analysis and management in the College of Human Ecology.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM

149 posts, read 467,517 times
Default Remember to keep your options open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I'm not going to a transfer school, my parents would strongly disapprove of it and I don't like the idea of it either.
I understand, but it's an option you should keep open just in case if things don't work out with getting into a 4-year school right out of high school.

Now, chances are if you apply to enough 4-year schools in high school, you'll make it into at least one. But from what it sounds like, you would probably get into just about every school you apply to (especially if they're state schools).

Another thing you might consider is, what if you make it into a 4-year college/university and feel you aren't ready for it? What if you adapt well to student life but the academics are too much to handle? What if it's the other way around?

If that happens, you may need to transfer to another school. If you have trouble adapting to student life but you're fine academically, transferring to another 4-year school may be the ticket. But if you have trouble with the academics, transferring to a 2-year school (i.e. junior college) may be the best alternative.

The reason I say this is because academics at junior colleges are generally not as tough as they are at 4-year schools. Granted, it varies from college to college, but I found that my high school classes were tougher than my junior college classes.

Let's factor in another scenario. Say you're doing fine with academics and student life at a 4-year college/university, but you are having trouble paying for everything. Junior college may be the best alternative in that case, becuase junior colleges are always cheaper than 4-year schools. If you find yourself having trouble paying your way through school, then you can always go back home and attend a junior college near you.

There are also junior colleges with room and board. I got accepted to one. I didn't go there, but it was very easy to get in to. It's called Vincennes University. They also offer a few undergraduate, 4-year degrees. It's located in Vincennes, Indiana. You may want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas
My parents are cheering for me to go to UT Austin, which is not a bad choice, and I supposedly get automatic admission if i make the top 10%.
Cool. That is definitely an option to keep open. Depending on how close you live to UT Austin, you may not even have to live on campus; you could live at home while going to school. I am a Junior in college, and that is what I have been doing for the majority of my undergraduate studies. You save a lot of money and don't have to worry about getting a roommate that bugs you.

Quote:
I want to go to a public school cause it'll be cheaper.
I've been looking at USC.
Does anyone know anything about
UC Riverside?
Rice?
NYU?
Univ. Penn.?
USC?
USC is a private school, and fairly expensive. Great academics, fine professors, but it may not be what you're looking for.

UC Riverside is a public school, and may or may not be harder to get into than USC. If you want to go to UC Riverside, you will have to take the SAT II and get satisfactory scores to be considered for admission. I don't know if USC requires the SAT II; you will have to check out their admission criteria.

Quote:
Would rice be fairly easy for me to get into, I would be an instate and they're supposedly prestigious but the attitude around here tells us that UT Austin is very prestigious, more so then other places like Rice and Ann Arbor (which my dad went to so I have a light leg up if i went there)...he tells me UT is more prestigious...he is originally from Michigan.
and OKAY!! LOL i know that the UC system is going to be hard to get into, I would be stupid if I didn't know that, but what can i do, besides something I am not in control of, to help me strengthen my chances?
I would recommend visiting both UT and Rice to see if they will be to your liking in terms of their surroundings and overall atmosphere. You will want to be going to a school that you're happy with in terms of both academics and student life. Talk with admissions counselors. Meet with some of the students. Take a tour of both campuses, including classrooms and dorms, if possible.

As for the out of state schools, if you can go and visit them, by all means go. But if you are unable to go and visit the schools, at least get in touch with the admissions counselors; they are the ones who will help guide you into getting admitted and becoming familiar with how college works. If they are good counselors, they will do everything they can to assist you and answer all your questions.

There are some other things you can do, too. Check out College Search - SAT Registration - College Admissions - Scholarships and enter the colleges/universities you are interested in attending into the College QuickFinder box. Press enter. What will appear on the screen are some statistics about the school and contact information for the admissions counselors. I have found collegeboard.com to be a very helpful resource, and I hope it is also helpful for you.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 PM

^
Will do thanks a bunch ^^

Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I'm a parent of a HS freshman, College sophmore and recent college graduate. My suggestion is that you take the most rigorous course load that your school offers AND that you can do well in. Four years of the core subjects - math, science, social studies and English plus the languages should be enough to get you in most places. Put the idea of what looks good to colleges in the back of your mind and concentrate on what you like to do, that's what your extra-curriculars should be. Your hook should be your passion - not what looks good on paper.

What I did with my older kids when they were starting the college search (not until summer before junior year, btw) was checking out different kinds of colleges such as small private, medium size private, large public and medium size public. My daughter applied to (and was accepted at) Penn State, a college of about 40,000. She ended up at a tiny private with less then 1,000 students in IL.

Just about all colleges have a business major and private colleges offer classes taught by professors, not teachers assistants. Privates also usually have good merit aid. The price tag at both of my kids private colleges was/is about $35,000 but with merit aid we pay about half of that and neither student has ever had a class with more then 20 students.

It's great that you are thinking of colleges this early but it's to your advantage to have an open mind about where you will be going.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
I kind of think you are looking at this backwards. As many have said, you don't have many classes on which to base your GPA right now. I think it's actually not doing any good to think about colleges when, by your junior year, you could have a 3.9 or a 3.0. You just don't know what your GPA will be, so there is no way to pick "appropriate" colleges right now.

I really think you'd be much better off doing the very best you can in school, adding some volunteer work and sports or music to your "resume" if you don't have those going already. And enjoy your HS years! Then, when you get to junior year and you know you've done your best, you will have your GPA in front of you and know which tier of schools you should be looking at.

I understand you want to go to a top tier school, but you're putting so much pressure on yourself with so little information on your grades! The other thing I'd consider is whether you plan to get an MBA or potentially some other graduate degree (you never know--you may decide not to pursue business). If so, you can go to pretty much ANY undergraduate school and still get into Kellogg or Wharton or Stanford's GSB (which hasn't been mentioned much but is often in the #1 or #2 spot for business schools) as long as you do really well wherever you go! So going to MIT and getting Bs would probably not get you into Wharton, but going to a liberal arts college, exploring your options, and getting all As would get you in (with tons of other stuff to back up the GPA of course).

As an aside, I went to Stanford for grad school, and when I was there, they had the stats on the incoming undergraduate class. There were MANY perfect 4.0 GPAs who had been rejected. Although GPA is important, it does not guarantee admission. They look at lots of other things, some of which you already have (world view, multiple languages, etc).

Lastly, take a look at the biggest CEOs and business icons in the world. Many of them do not have a college degree at all! A good business school ususally allows you to make good money and work your way up the corporate ladder pretty well, but the ones at the top often don't follow that route at all, so no matter what happens, you can succeed!! Just keep trying~

And again--take some time to enjoy the ride. Life isn't all about what school you go to. Don't let the journey pass you by.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I get I'm too young but thats ok... I enjoy talking about it...
Pressure is good, its what keeps my grades up. I was like devastated about my 3.7, which I feel could've been a 3.85 if I has just kept an eye a second longer on my stupid geometry grade.
I do want to have fun doing extra curricular but If I can find something to look great on paper and have fun, I would do that over just fun or Just great looking.
I plan to take the most rigorous classes, I am in the most rigorous classes now. I really want to go to Berkeley, MIT is my 2nd choice, flowed by UCLA, then Rice, then maybe USC or UM Ann Arbor... but I can't slack off to begin with.
I must to well!!! rawr!!!
I must make it my goal to get accepted to every college I apply too... I would soo very flattered...HAHA...I'm not expecting to but what they heck...Aim high, and if you land a little lower you're still pretty high up.

Oh an btw, I've been looking into making my Chinese official, it's been a little hard though.I have to be a Junior to attend a community college, and my school doesn't allow me to test out of Chinese Like I'm doing with Spanish.
Does anyone have any advice to make my Chinese official? It would look very appetizing to colleges is I had 4 languages (including english), some great grades(SAT, ACT, GPA, Class rank, and NGA what what not), good ECs, and have minority status.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,904 times
It all depends on what you want. If you want the BEST business school, you've got NYU, Berkeley, and Penn. You've got time but you'll definitely need to get your grades up or score really well. These schools are the BEST and only accept the best. I'm talking about turning down people with 4.0s

But if you want to live in california, that should eliminate half of your list. All of the california public schools are really good and selective. Maybe not as selective as the others with the exception of Berkeley. IMO UC Berkeley and Stanford are the best schools in CA. But it depends on where you'd rather live. If you want to live near San Francisco, apply to one of those. If you want to live in LA, apply to USC or UCLA.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post

When I read this I didn't think it was true so I looked it up. Source from Wikipedia:

The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (U of M, UM, U-M or simply Michigan) is a coeducational public research university in the state of Michigan. The university was founded in 1817 in Detroit, about 20 years before the territory of Michigan officially became a state, and moved to Ann Arbor in 1837. Today, it is the state's oldest university and the flagship campus of the University of Michigan system, which now has two satellite campuses, the University of Michigan, Flint and the University of Michigan, Dearborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities