Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Honestly, business courses like accounting and economics are just as difficult as any undergrad hard science course you'll take depending on the person. The reason why business isn't seen as a difficult major is because there's a lot of cupcake classes mixed in with a difficult ones unlike the hard Sciences or engineering where you get blasted every semester.

The only undergrad courses that really trump anything you'll encounter in a business program are engineering courses.
meh.
I set the curve in my statistics and accounting classes. I was a little above average in my Architecture studio classes after spending 40+ hours a week in studio.

Hardest UG business course would probably be a HRM class. I never took any, but my required HR management class during my MBA was the only class I got less than a B+ in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 07:24 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Add me to the bandwagon: accounting.

A close second was Organizational Behavior, but that was because the grading was very funky and depended on a peer evaluation. A bunch of 20-year olds are not always thinking rationally when it comes to those evaluations, and let things like being in the same Greek house influence them.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Intermediate Accounting. No competition. Much harder than even Advanced according to the accounting majors I knew. Management major courses I would have to say Microeconomics.
I remember Intermediate being difficult, and now I don't even remember much about that class. My experience would have been different with a different professor, I think.

For me, statistics and economics were probably the hardest. My brain just doesn't function the best with those subjects.

I'm currently working on my Masters in Accounting. I've heard Advanced Accounting Theory is pretty tough. I guess I'll find out this summer.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hard Business courses?

really, there are HARD business courses?

Many wash out in Statistics, (and accounting) math is not so ez to bluff your way through.

But Hurrah!!! you will probably never have to use (demonstrate) it, especially if you head to those high paying Marketing positions!

so sad, but VERY true in Business Schools in USA... the professor was completely incompetent.
Mathematical finance. Here is a pretty good sampling: http://www.ub.edu/plie/personal_PLiE...TML/ifqfe3.pdf

Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 AM

26,728 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Operations management. Hated the professor, and could barely get through the class.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I remember Intermediate being difficult, and now I don't even remember much about that class. My experience would have been different with a different professor, I think.

For me, statistics and economics were probably the hardest. My brain just doesn't function the best with those subjects.

I'm currently working on my Masters in Accounting. I've heard Advanced Accounting Theory is pretty tough. I guess I'll find out this summer.

It's been many decades since I took the course (Had nightmares for years after graduation). My Intermediate I class met in the evening for a 3 hour torture session once a week. Waterboarding and having a root canal had nothing on how much I hated this. Problem wasn't the teacher either. He was very good. I just struggled with it. Principles of Accounting was a cakewalk. I don't know why, but my aptitude for understanding this stuff just wasn't there. Stats and finance was a piece of cake in comparison. You either have the aptitude for Accounting as a career or you don't.

I heard that Theory was pretty tough. I learned my lesson after taking a year of ELECTIVE (Yea, that's right, it was an elective to me helping to lower my GPA) Intermediate Accounting to not take any more upper level accounting classes.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Mathematical finance. Here is a pretty good sampling: http://www.ub.edu/plie/personal_PLiE...TML/ifqfe3.pdf
Browsing thru it, looks interesting.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Business Law for me. I still remember the big thick book.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:07 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It's been many decades since I took the course (Had nightmares for years after graduation). My Intermediate I class met in the evening for a 3 hour torture session once a week. Waterboarding and having a root canal had nothing on how much I hated this. Problem wasn't the teacher either. He was very good. I just struggled with it. Principles of Accounting was a cakewalk. I don't know why, but my aptitude for understanding this stuff just wasn't there. Stats and finance was a piece of cake in comparison. You either have the aptitude for Accounting as a career or you don't.

I heard that Theory was pretty tough. I learned my lesson after taking a year of ELECTIVE (Yea, that's right, it was an elective to me helping to lower my GPA) Intermediate Accounting to not take any more upper level accounting classes.
Accounting has always made sense to me, even if some of the classes aren't easy. There are plenty of subjects that don't come naturally to me.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Accounting has always made sense to me, even if some of the classes aren't easy. There are plenty of subjects that don't come naturally to me.
Accounting whipped me because so much of it felt counterintuitive to me....at least at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities