Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,431,771 times

Advertisements

Clemson doctoral student produces rap album for dissertation; it goes viral | Clemson University News and Stories, South Carolina

Clemson doctoral student produces rap album for dissertation.

I was wondering what other people thought about a rap album being used for a dissertation. personally, I find it embarrassing as a CLemson alumni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 PM

10,017 posts, read 5,722,890 times
I guess it depends on the subject matter. Particle physics? Highly unorthodox, to put it politely. The role of black arts on the broader popular culture? Go for it.

ETA: Looks like his PhD program is in "rhetorics [sic], communication and information design." If ever there were a dissertation subject that ought to laid out as an extensive rap album, that would be it.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 PM

i don't understand the point of awarding a degree for a rap album. it doesn't seem like it is about demonstrating that he has obtained knowledge of a certain area but rather simply expressing his opinions about race in lyrics.

it sounds like he uses offensive language in the rap music as well.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:27 PM

12,886 posts, read 9,118,964 times
I'm a Clemson grad with a student there now. On the one hand, wouldn't be appropriate for the Physics Dept or Engineering. On the other hand, seems like it might fit right in with his field. And as much as I hate rap music, it might be more interesting than some of the dry, boring, junk that get's written in most dissertations anyway.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM

the worst part is the university is paying professors who allow a rap album as a dissertation.

Here is a brief video of him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W3LrHlRnHw

He's talking about he's dope. he's not making any sense.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't understand the point of awarding a degree for a rap album. it doesn't seem like it is about demonstrating that he has obtained knowledge of a certain area but rather simply expressing his opinions about race in lyrics.

it sounds like he uses offensive language in the rap music as well.
To be fair, the subject of his dissertation is "rhetorics [sic], communication and information design." If ever there were a dissertation topic that ought to laid out as a 34-track rap album, this would be it -- DOING the subject matter rather than just writing about it.

Last edited by Bitey; 02-24-2017 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
To be fair, the subject of his dissertation is "rhetorics [sic], communication and information design." If ever there were a dissertation topic that ought to laid out as a 34-track rap album, this would be it -- DOING the subject matter rather than just writing about it.
ok, you have a much different concept of academics than I do.

he even uses the n word in his 'dissertation'.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,296,647 times
What a black eye for Clemson and for the many legitimate PhD graduates of Clemson! No serious academic department in a serious university would allow this to happen. The Provost at Clemson needs to set some heads rolling.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
What a black eye for Clemson and for the many legitimate PhD graduates of Clemson! No serious academic department in a serious university would allow this to happen. The Provost at Clemson needs to set some heads rolling.
As long as they have the spine to stand up to the inevitable protests of cultural insensitivity and racism and all that. Who needs the headache when you can show the world how virtuously open-minded you are instead?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Clemson University Mulls Rap PhD Dissertation VIDEO | The Daily Caller

here is another article about it.

"The dissertation is really just a — man, that’s like, in a real, practical way just it’s, uh, it’s a rap album,” Carson says in a YouTube video about busting rhymes to acquire a Ph.D. “Rather than it being, like, about rap or it being about, like, spoken word, it’s actually done through those particular modes of presentation.”

I’m striving to be dope,” Carson also explains in the video. “This world of academia, or however, you know, we want to describe it, is that world not ready for that dope in its — like — uncut form?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities