Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,778,577 times

Advertisements

A little over a year ago, I created a thread on this board in which I contemplated what master's degree -- if any -- I should pursue. Despite earning a bachelor's degree in marketing and a minor in psychology, I entertained the idea of getting a master's in a subject about which I'm passionate -- history -- and possibly going on to teach history on the side on an adjunct basis.

I feel I have a clearer sense of what I want to do now, but I'm still not sure which master's degree to go for. Since graduating from college in 2007, all my work experience has been as a copywriter/editor in the hotel/resort industry. I have since gained a fond appreciation for studying and writing about buildings/properties like hotels, houses, etc. (I also shopped for a home a a few years ago and enjoyed sifting through a bevy of property descriptions.) As a history lover, I don't take for granted that many of these structures have been around for a long time, and I love delving into when they were built.

I would like to learn more about what goes into constructing buildings, contracts, permitting, etc.

That being said, which master's degree would suit me best? Architecture? Engineering? Construction? Real estate? Hospitality/Tourism?

Since I enjoy the history end of it so much, does this mean I should get it in Historic Preservation?

Given my experience, I think a master's in one of these areas might make more sense from an ROI perspective than a general History degree. I could then use the degree to apply for a full-time job in industries like real estate or construction, or for freelance writing opportunities. I'm no longer interested in becoming an adjunct instructor.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,373,847 times
By what I just read, real estate sounds best for you. I'm unsure if universities generally have real estate master degrees though...

Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
There is no money and few opportunities in historic preservation. Small NPOs can't afford you and will want you to volunteer, medium NPOs will underpay you or offer you part time hours, and larger NPOs will have one or two people working full time. History is my passion as well, but I realize I am not going to make a living off of it. A friend of mine made more money working in a warehouse than he ever did working in historic preservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities