Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM

1,185 posts, read 805,827 times

Advertisements

I'm exploring some online options for a quality education and came across the American Military University which is part of the American Public University (APUS).

After a lot of reading about them ,it seems that the get a good rating and are fully accredited (same accreditation as the Air Force Academy.

Has anyone taken courses with them and what are your feedback?

Being accredited, that makes it very appealing since credits could be transferred to other universities if needed.

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 AM

526 posts, read 386,876 times
Back when I started there (I graduated with an MBA in 2010) in 2008, there were not quite as many options as there are now. The classes, for the most part were easy. Mostly a lot of writing. Lot's of 25 page papers, yech.

I would advise against it. With nearly every single B&M college offering online courses and degrees there's absolutely no reason to attend any online only college at all.

Look for the same program at the school closest to you with a B&M campus. Skip any and all online colleges. You can find better and cheaper options with some decent google-fu.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
I researched the place a number of years ago; it seems to be a place that a lot of military officers go to to get their ticket punched so they can check the "graduate degree" box.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM

840 posts, read 2,088,428 times
I currently go to APU, sister school to AMU. Working on my Master's in Transportation and Logistics. I love the school.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 AM

I am looking into International Relations and although there are B&M schools offering this there are 2 things.

1. They seem to be generic in t heir approaches whereby AMU seems to dig deeper in them from what I have seen
2. Cost: UMASS offers only 1 course in Global Affairs and it's $410 per credit compared to $270 with AMU. My total cost would be $41000 at UMASS and $27400 at AMU

AMU is Regionally Accredited and also Nationally accredited (Higher Learning Commission) whereas UMASS is regionally accredited.

I'm torn since it looks like a lot of people rave about AMU and their credits are transferable.

There is also Southern NH University but AMU gets better ratings than them. I'm not sure what the best solution is.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Regionally Accredited is what you want. That's the accreditation for real colleges. National Accreditation has little meaning outside the for profit distance learning racket.

There are plenty of real colleges these days that offer distance learning. Your degree from those is the same as if you were on campus and receives the same reputation. Degrees from the other "colleges" do not.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 PM

That's what I read about AMU's accreditation. What do you guys think?

Accreditation Matters | American Military University

Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
What kind of degree do you want, and what do you intend to do with it? Some employers won't have a problem with an AMU degree, some will look at it side-eyed since it is a for-profit on-line only school. The smart choice is always a B&M institution with an on-line component.

Re. post #1, it is up to the receiving institution to determine what, if any, credits are allowed to transfer from AMU or anywhere else. If an institution feels the credits that are being evaluated for transfer are not comparable, or they are lacking in academic rigor, the receiving institutional is permitted to refuse to accept them.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 AM

I want to transition into the Govt sector with possibly State DEpt or Homeland Security.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:49 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,945,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
....... The smart choice is always a B&M institution with an on-line component........

I agree 100%!

There have recently been some notable failures of on-line universities. These news stories further clouded the already fuzzy outlook on degrees from on-line only schools.

Some Brick & Mortar schools offer distance learning in addition to the on-line classes. The difference being the Distance Learning classes may be taught in a classroom with other students and periodic visits from the university professor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities