Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
If school rankings and metrics were stupid, then no parent would seek sending their offspring to the best schools available. But as we all know, that is not the case. Therefore, they matter to some people.
The 'getting your kid into the best school' thing continues to baffle me.

I mean, if the cost is somewhat similar, then yea, by all means send your kid to the better school.

But spending double and triple to send your kids to a 'better' school?

My parents had an excuse at least. They didn't know how things work in this country. I do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The 'getting your kid into the best school' thing continues to baffle me.

I mean, if the cost is somewhat similar, then yea, by all means send your kid to the better school.

But spending double and triple to send your kids to a 'better' school?

My parents had an excuse at least. They didn't know how things work in this country. I do...
These are all public universities with relatively inexpensive price tags. The UC system is known to have some of the most affordable tuition pricing in the entire country for in-state students. These schools are also highly reputable throughout much of the world, let alone the US. You could go almost anywhere and people will know and respect and trust the education you received.

Meanwhile, you have private schools like where I currently live (University of Denver) that cost nearly $40k+ or more per year. These schools are hardly reputable outside of the state, and yet they charge exorbitant tuition. That's the real scam.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
These are all public universities with relatively inexpensive price tags. The UC system is known to have some of the most affordable tuition pricing in the entire country for in-state students. These schools are also highly reputable throughout much of the world, let alone the US. You could go almost anywhere and people will know and respect and trust the education you received.

Meanwhile, you have private schools like where I currently live (University of Denver) that cost nearly $40k+ or more per year. These schools are hardly reputable outside of the state, and yet they charge exorbitant tuition. That's the real scam.
Yea, but they're only worth it if you live in the state.

Otherwise, they charge an arm and a leg if you attend ... these days. It used to be better.

I am aware that some states don't have good university systems. But with the surplus of pHds, MOST states do. So, comparing UC-Boulder to say, oh UC-Berkeley.

Is UC Berkeley a better school in some ways? Yea. Is it worth 25K a year more? Haaaaal no.

So, what's the point of these polls except to say "Hey, I grew up in a certain state and went to school there and I am better than you, according to some ... magazine."

Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yea, but they're only worth it if you live in the state.

Otherwise, they charge an arm and a leg if you attend ... these days. It used to be better.

I am aware that some states don't have good university systems. But with the surplus of pHds, MOST states do. So, comparing UC-Boulder to say, oh UC-Berkeley.

Is UC Berkeley a better school in some ways? Yea. Is it worth 25K a year more? Haaaaal no.

So, what's the point of these polls except to say "Hey, I grew up in a certain state and went to school there and I am better than you, according to some ... magazine."
Because a large percentage of students who go to these top ranked schools aren't just local residents. They draw top students and academics from around the country and around the world, which, in turn, provides for a more well-rounded educational experience.

If rankings don't matter to anyone, then everyone would simply strive for mediocrity. But quality and performance do matter to some people, so that is why these schools' rankings and metrics matter to some people.

If you are OK with mediocrity, buy a Chevy. Get your degree from North Acme State U. Eat a McDonald's burger. Visit Oklahoma on your annual vacation. If you don't buy the "quality" argument, that's alright. Nobody said you had to.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Because a large percentage of students who go to these top ranked schools aren't just local residents. They draw top students and academics from around the country and around the world, which, in turn, provides for a more well-rounded educational experience.

If rankings don't matter to anyone, then everyone would simply strive for mediocrity. But quality and performance do matter to some people, so that is why these schools' rankings and metrics matter to some people.

If you are OK with mediocrity, buy a Chevy. Get your degree from North Acme State U. Eat a McDonald's burger. Visit Oklahoma on your annual vacation. If you don't buy the "quality" argument, that's alright. Nobody said you had to.
It's not about striving for mediocrity. It's about best fit.

Most kids don't understand why they want to go to a 'good school'. They just know that if they do, they can say they'll be better than someone who went to a lesser school and 'probably' will make more $.

Also, what's wrong with a Chevy? Lol.

Last edited by jobaba; 09-18-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
It's not about striving for mediocrity. It's about best fit.

Most kids don't understand why they want to go to a 'good school'. They just know that if they do, they can say they'll be better than someone who went to a lesser school and 'probably' will make more $.

Also, what's wrong with a Chevy? Lol.
When I was accepted into the University of Michigan, I don't believe my first response was "look how much better I am than those other people". Rather, I thought how it would be an amazing and enriching educational opportunity. As a first gen college student at the time, I was in awe that I was able to achieve that goal. Furthermore, I thought it'd look good on a resume, even if I left the state, which I did. Some colleges only have strong reps in-state, but UM is known worldwide.

As far as the Chevy analogy, I tried to think of the most generic, average car brand on the market. I don't personally have anything against the things I mentioned; I was just trying to make a point.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It shouldn't hurt her pride at all. I know several Texas State grads and they're all doing very well.
She's okay with it now. It's just that she was in the International Baccalaureate program in high school and did well in it. Some of her friends went to prestigious private schools on the East Coast and most of the others went to UT Austin. Of course there was lots of talk about who was getting in where and she felt a little left out. But she's a practical kid and understands that the scholarships mean she'll graduate debt free and also understands that whether she's successful or not is completely up to her. It's all good.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
As long as you can trust the people making the rankings. The credit bureaus can't be trusted with the current scandal at Equifax.

Austin in general is full of hype in their marketing and outreach. (It's a very disappointing place one you arrive.) UT has been touted since it was the state's flagship university in the state capital back when Texas was still a mostly rural, underpopulated state. They have been living off fumes and the fumes are starting to dissipate.

(BTW Oklahoma has some beautiful mountain views in their portion of the Ozarks in the NE part of the state. Michigan has the disadvantage of being near Chicago. More beautiful "mountain" scenery and a strong economic magnet for the entire Great Lakes region!)

Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
One factor in the rankings is SAT and ACT scores. The idea behind the auto-admit law is that it will give poorer and minority students an opportunity to attend top schools. High school grades are more closely correlated with college performance than SAT scores are. SAT scores are correlated with family income.

People from more well-to-do families usually attend better schools, are exposed to a broader range of vocabulary, and have the money to pay for SAT/ACT prep courses.
This!

I know plenty of people that received 1300 SAT scores (old system) but likely had 1200 SAT score ability. I was on the free lunch program and was most definitely the poorest kid in my AP classes. My peers were intelligent no doubt, but I didn't think they had some innate ability that others didn't. They were above average kids with a support system and older siblings/parents that knew how to navigate the system (prep classes for example). Kids like me had to figure out things on our own.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
And while a lot of talented suburban TX kids leave the state for $$greener$$ pastures, many more move into the state from the west coast, Rustbelt etc. Our population growth suggests quite the opposite of a brain drain.

The ones leaving are mostly those from more privileged backgrounds. Even if they had gone to school in-state, there's a reasonable chance they'd leave later after backpacking through Europe or falling in love with NYC/Chicago/Los Angeles/Miami. I work with a guy whose kids have done just that. He makes almost $100k while his wife is a senior software engineer making even more. Both kids were high achievers that went to UT-Austin. Parents have taken care of the kids' housing and all other bills down there while they each obtained master's degrees. Now, both kids are leaving the state. One for Silicon Valley and the other for Seattle (I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
View detailed profiles of: