Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
How is it free?
Because qualified students are funded by the university. Two of my best friends did this. I began my MA in an MA / PhD program, but could not complete it because we relocated. After two years the MA is awarded and the university decides if you should continue on for the PhD.

Sometimes the student decides that they have had enough and leave with a terminal masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Default undergrad to grad

Hi,
All of your posts have been very helpful, even if some of your opinions clash! It's very confusing for someone like me who is an undergrad in psych. My question is this - I am a sophomore at a state university and planning to transfer for next fall to a school that has a better psych program. I want to work in counseling psych as a therapist - however i am interested in clinical a bit as well. The thing is, I know I want to do counseling psych (well, im pretty sure) but most schools dont have a concentration in this. A school I'm very interested in, Tufts, has a clinical psych concentration. Would it be possible (or look good/bad) to do clinical psych as opposed to general psych in undergrad if im interested in getting either my PHD or Psyd in Counseling? I could really use some advice! Thanks!

And of course, I'm also trying to figure out whether to do PHD or PsyD as well... You've all been very opinionated on that subject. To me personally, it sounds like, PHD programs are much less expensive (which is obviously a factor) but PsyD is more towards my interests (not interested in being a professor, and right now I'm not sure if I will love research - but who knows i havent done a lot yet). Also there's that stigma - so - any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlerman202 View Post
i am currently deciding whether to get a masters or phd or pysd to become a psychologist. i really dont love school, do not want to do research and really dont think i wanna write a dissertation. i just want to be a psychologist and make enough money to live in san diego. wud i have to get a phd or psyd to make more money? What are the advantages of gettin one of these and not the ma? Please help!
It seems like you're very lost. Did you consider a guidance counselor at your school before you considered psychology?
Let me just tell you from personal experience that to even being considered for a doctorate program you need research experience, a butt load of extracurriculars, and obviously, a high GPA. In my case, I was president of two clubs (including the Psychology Club) and treasurer of my college, with a GPA OF 3.8, while also working with my professor on a research study. In addition to that, you need outstanding recommendation letters from your professors (preferably ones with psychology doctorates). Once you apply (keep in mind there are about 200-400 students applying with you) and get invited for an interview and actually DO WELL on the interview, only then do you get accepted. Also, FYI, doctorate programs only accept about 10-25 students PER YEAR depending on the school.
So, the hard work of graduate school doesn’t really start in grad school, it starts way before that. Master degree programs are obviously not as competitive as doctorate programs but you do need a very good GRE score (if the schools require it), rec. letters, and a high GPA too in order to be considered.
My advice to you, if you don’t like psychology enough to work hard for it then find something you’re willing to work hard for and maybe something that pays more, because while this field is very interesting and easy to love, it also requires with a lot of work.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
I have many friends who are actually very successful with their PsyD so it's all about what your interests and passions are. True most PsyD programs are for profit and cost a lot of money, but so does undergraduate education. You'll work it off in a couple of years after graduation as a Doctor. If money is all you're after you should go into banking or something else.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:51 AM

399 posts, read 1,550,082 times
Wow, I want to thank everyone for the great posts. I am personally highly interested in Social Psychology, and have just finished my BA at UCLA. The problem I have now, I had a decent GPA, but not 3.0. This was a challenge for me, and I have still found it interesting enough to consider pursuing. I would like to promote the field of Positive Psychology and also talk about impacts of particular religious groups in society. That's as of now, things could change. I found Social to be engaging and fascinating to me, and also realized that I've always in a sense been this kind of a person, analyzing behavior of people in social situations and spending my free time researching and reading social science books. I didn't start early for this degree plan, because I didn't know...and I was told that if you don't know, you don't apply past Undergrad.

My plan is pretty well-focused, as I drove myself crazy thinking about it all summer, and talking to old lab supervisors (PhD candidates) and working through books and articles, Grad School Fairs, and etc online and on campus. Though I am lower in GPA, I was told that if I show work and especially try to research and publish before I apply to a PhD program, I will have a much higher chance of acceptance. I enjoyed the talk about PhD versus PsyD and Masters, because it was informative, but from my perspective and option, and age (I'm already 36 with experience and military) I think a PhD program would suffice as well as provide the greatest long-term opportunity, research, publishing (books and papers) talks, and possibly teaching.

I know I sound pretty sure of myself, but I spent the last five years in the dark and just enjoying Psychology. My last quarter before graduation I signed up for all Social Psychology classes including a Grad Level Seminar, just to get as much of it as I could. I also worked as an RA in two research labs my Senior Year. One advantage to being older I think, when you know what you want, (And I spent 15 years finding that!) you go for it with much less fear and anxiety. I won't die, though I may be disappointed. So I thought I'd run some things by the experts here, some free information if you will....

I am planning on interviewing as many Social Psychology professors as I can get to meet me for lunch or coffee in the next year, while searching for a Research position that will allow me to work hard and work up. This will allow me to reach a few professors in the Los Angeles area that may be interested in long-term mentorship, maybe just meeting up once a month to discuss my current work. I hope to ask them to do this, but don't know if they would be up for it. I guess I'll learn when I try. I hope to interview at least 100 (should not be a problem out here) and really get a feel for the life of a social psychologist (PhD) and the many possibilities for it, in addition to the multitude of Grad books and Psychology Books I bought specifically about Grad School. Hey, may as well start research early, right?

Lastly, I plan on applying in 2015-2016 (depending on research experience and GRE) to the programs. The rest will be the actual work, but I hope by then with all my mentoring and interviewing that I will be able to feel like I am just sliding into something I love. I feel the passion is there and will supersede the fact that I don't like math or stats, and writing APA style is just annoying. But I know that anything can be learned and mastered with the Outliers Principle (10,000 hours, or less preferably) and that I can get through this. After sitting through several UCLA Social-based programs I was just thrilled and enthusiastic, like a kid talking to everyone; "We dropped a stack of papers and then noted who helped us pick it up and noted a gender effect..." and so on. I guess I would like to think I've got this figured out. Is there anything I'm missing that seems to be pertinent? I would appreciate anyone's time! Thanks!

And thanks for reading my article...ha ha!

Last edited by Ghostgecko; 10-30-2014 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Always editing...

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
How do I go from a BA to a psyD with skipping the Ma/MS...for my undergrads I double majored ( Psychology and Translation) I have a 3.38 gpa but I have no internship nor clinical hours ...can someone guide me on how to possibly avoid getting an MA

Old 06-02-2015, 04:17 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
You can become a License mental health clinician, but if want to be a psychologist you need the Doctorate degree. Then the MD degree for psychiatrist.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:47 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need of guidance View Post
How do I go from a BA to a psyD with skipping the Ma/MS...for my undergrads I double majored ( Psychology and Translation) I have a 3.38 gpa but I have no internship nor clinical hours ...can someone guide me on how to possibly avoid getting an MA
According to a professor of mine, and a presentation at UCF in Orlando, there are a lot of psychology programs where you enroll from a BA directly into a Ph.D. Most of these programs include the Master's degree as well. Some universities will hold the Master's degree until you achieve your Ph.D and some will award the Master's after 2-4 years.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need of guidance View Post
There are very few funded PsyD programs. I think Rutgers may have one, but they are not very common. I would never pay to get a PhD or PsyD in psychology. That's 5 years of education expenses. Good luck getting out of a PsyD or PhD program that isn't funded with less than 150k in debt.

BA to PhD or PsyD is pretty common, but having no research experience, clinical "like" experience and having a 3.38 GPA may make it more difficult. Have you taken the GRE?

Old 06-09-2015, 02:14 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Keep in mind a Psychiatrist is a Doctor. They can give medication and schooling is that of a MD. They specialize in Psych. I honestly don't know the difference between a Master's Degree in Counseling and a Doctorate in Psychology. Ones a licensed counselor the other is a Psychologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities