Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:46 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times

Advertisements

Medical Billing and Coding is the way to go. In demand and decent wages considering the training time involved ( $18 an hour on average for 6 months or less) and salary increases readily available through further classes and promotion.

https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/w...coding-career/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 03:51 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,982,730 times
Good luck.. looking for the “easy” way says a lot.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:06 PM

45 posts, read 30,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Medical Billing and Coding is the way to go. In demand and decent wages considering the training time involved ( $18 an hour on average for 6 months or less) and salary increases readily available through further classes and promotion.

https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/w...coding-career/
Sounds like a good suggestion. That's dealing with medical insurance stuff right?

Old 05-31-2020, 04:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
We need something more specific than "office" to make actual recommendations. I concur with the other poster that the medical field as a number of entry level jobs that would be indoors, and probably pay you in the $15 an hour range once you got the cert.

Paralegal strikes me as something else that would be indoors, and pay around $15 an hour to start.

I'd dial up the websites of some of your local community colleges and look at their 6 month-1 year certificate programs.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM

1,110 posts, read 898,218 times
Your local school district may have some courses or programs for adult learners. Where I live, you can get certified as an LPN, Dental assistant,vet tech and auto technician. I'd also really consider the military. Lots of opportunity and training assistance.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:26 PM

73 posts, read 39,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
With Covid19, not sure if the traditional office job will be as strong as it was.

Specialized white collar jobs (like Project Managers) are stronger than ever right now, and will be in the future. This is ideal work for women especially, because it requires the exact same skills a good woman would apply to raising a family - organizing, communicating, finding common ground, addressing issues productively, and planning and strategizing. Obviously this is not work for someone who is illiterate, trashy or on drugs, but a woman of decent intelligence and high standards can do well in this field, and even make a lot of money. I also believe a successful life involves humility and turning from sin, and divine mercy and help.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:22 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernum View Post
Specialized white collar jobs (like Project Managers) are stronger than ever right now, and will be in the future. This is ideal work for women especially, because it requires the exact same skills a good woman would apply to raising a family - organizing, communicating, finding common ground, addressing issues productively, and planning and strategizing. Obviously this is not work for someone who is illiterate, trashy or on drugs, but a woman of decent intelligence and high standards can do well in this field, and even make a lot of money. I also believe a successful life involves humility and turning from sin, and divine mercy and help.
Project management is not something you can just decide to do. It takes years of experience actually working on projects to be able to manage projects. There's a lot more to it than just picking up a PMI cert. One of the biggest problems we have is project managers who don't understand what's really happening outside a PowerPoint chart.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,660 times
Hello young man -

I was in your shoes a long time ago. I can share my strategy to help myself out of that situation.

Instead of trying to get a training or another degree to get the job I wanted, I selected an industry I wanted to be in, and found a lowest job in that industry that requires no degree.

The idea is, get in the door first, then move up.

Working a job is the best training. In the right industry was exposed to a lot of relevant info. From there, I acquired enough knowledge and then certification, for me to move up to better positions, with some lateral moves in between.

I found this approach to be easier in the long run, than trying to "get the good job" directly. Regardless of what strategy and path you choose, diligence on your part is needed from this point on.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:22 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Project management is not something you can just decide to do. It takes years of experience actually working on projects to be able to manage projects. There's a lot more to it than just picking up a PMI cert. One of the biggest problems we have is project managers who don't understand what's really happening outside a PowerPoint chart.
Indeed PM work is not easy to get into. But the skill is so useful and so satisfying..... After I worked as PM for a financial company, I now run my own bathroom renovation like a project.

But there is a way. This is how I went from 0 relevant experience to managing multi-country banking projects (by a shortcut too!!):

Started as stock broker - basically sales person, no degree needed; just need to be able to read scripts. During this tenure, familiarized myself with the markets.

With basic market knowledge, moved into customer service in brokerage company. During this tenure, got Series 7 licensed.

With Series 7, worked at branch as investment representative. During this tenure, was exposed to project management as company launched various projects. Initially was business side support; eventually became project sponsor. During this tenure was able to see the whole project management process.

When company grew and needed a dedicated project management team, moved over project management side. During this tenure I was directing project managers.

Switched to bigger companies to manage bigger projects.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:41 PM

936 posts, read 2,086,350 times
You need to find something you are passionate about that can make decent money.

I am an Engineer. However, I also love woodworking, tiling, painting and fixing things at home. I told my wife that I could be a handyman making $300 a day with some additional training. Most handymen I know don't pay taxes so this $300 is like $450 salary. There is no easy way out, you have to love your job and put in the time and effort to be good at it. Without a technical degree or IT certificates, most office jobs don't pay much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities