Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That may be correct, but is also irrelevant to the vast majority of students because they aren't going to attend one of that handful of top schools. A few thousand lucky few who get to attend one of those schools with plenty of financial aid is barely a blip on the cost impact to the million others who don't attend Harvard and also don't get much financial aid because their parents make to much to be poor and don't make enough to be rich.
That’s very true. While I agree with universities prioritizing financial aid to the most needy students, there are many students who don’t qualify for financial aid, but whose families still have a tough decision to make when faced with the prospect of ~$250k in undergraduate tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 04:55 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Absolutely ridiculous that anybody would pay those sums with what college education has become.
True.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:04 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Part of the reason I moved to Georgia was the HOPE/Zell Miller scholarships. Two great schools - UGA and Georgia Tech are on the list and made much more affordable if your child is at least a B student. Tuition is either 90% or 100% covered at public universities. A smart plan by the state to keep high achieving students local.

I got my MBA at Indiana University and it was great value as well.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:04 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
That list, while accurate, is misleading in that some of the schools with the highest tuition are the most affordable. Almost no one pays the sticker prices at these private schools.
Precisely.

I'm in southern Minnesota. Nearby Carleton College has an endowment of nearly $900 million, and just over 2000 students. nearby Winona State has an endowment of less than $33 million, and nearly 9000 students.

In other words, Carleton's endowment/student ratio is more than 110x that of Winona State.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:39 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Absolutely ridiculous that anybody would pay those sums with what college education has become.
I imagine it's all about status. Indeed, those who can afford to pay full sticker price don't need to attend those schools as they'd be fine no matter where they go to school. But I'm glad that they can afford to do so as it helped to subsidize my education

Old 02-07-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Harvard says 55% of students receive need based aid.
Yep. A whole lot of students' families at these schools are paying the full sticker price. But a whole lot also are paying little to nothing. The differences aren't as lopsided as some might think.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Precisely.

I'm in southern Minnesota. Nearby Carleton College has an endowment of nearly $900 million, and just over 2000 students. nearby Winona State has an endowment of less than $33 million, and nearly 9000 students.

In other words, Carleton's endowment/student ratio is more than 110x that of Winona State.
Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of endowment funds will generally be restricted, meaning that the schools are only free to spend the endowment returns on what their benefactors earmarked them for. As an extreme example, all $900 million of Carleton College's endowment could be earmarked towards grounds upkeep and the school couldn't spend returns on anything else. Of course, even if the $900 million endowment was completely unrestricted in the case of Carleton College, the school would still be trying to make those funds grow more via investment returns and the numbers available to support a generous financial aid policy--as an example--likely wouldn't be all that much.

Here is a breakdown of the percentage of Ivy League (minus Columbia University, which apparently doesn't release such information) undergraduates per school who receive financial aid:

Quote:
Brown University: Of 1,613 freshmen, 43 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $42,109. Thirty-four percent of Brown graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $22,197.

Cornell University: Of 3,180 freshmen, 44 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $39,787. Forty-three percent of Cornell graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $24,394.

Dartmouth College: Of 1,112 freshmen, 48 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $46,917. Forty-three percent of Dartmouth graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $19,135.

Harvard University: Of 1,660 freshmen, 56 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $47,053. Twenty-six percent of Harvard graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $15,117.

Princeton University: Of 1,338 freshmen, 62 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $46,208. Sixteen percent of Princeton graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $8,577.

University of Pennsylvania: Of 2,350 freshmen in fall 2015, 45 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $42,150. Twenty-eight percent of graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $26,157

Yale University: Of 1,364 freshmen, 51 percent received need-based grants. Their average award was $50,359. Seventeen percent of graduates took out loans to pay for college, and their average debt totaled $15,521.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-the-numbers/

All of this is to say that significant percentages of students at these schools (and I highly doubt that the Ivy Leagues are unique in this area . . . if anything, the percentage of students receiving aid is probably higher at the Ivy Leagues than most other private universities) are not receiving financial aid and are paying full sticker price (either having them/their parents cut full checks or taking out loans).

Old 02-07-2021, 08:58 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of endowment funds will generally be restricted, meaning that the schools are only free to spend the endowment returns on what their benefactors earmarked them for. As an extreme example, all $900 million of Carleton College's endowment could be earmarked towards grounds upkeep and the school couldn't spend returns on anything else. Of course, even if the $900 million endowment was completely unrestricted in the case of Carleton College, the school would still be trying to make those funds grow more via investment returns and the numbers available to support a generous financial aid policy--as an example--likely wouldn't be all that much.
Right.

As an example that neither does nor ever would occur in the real world. Thus, a completely pointless 'example'.

In the specific case of Carleton, the endowment provided $35,000,000 in FY2018 alone. That's more than Winona State's entire endowment. The earnings off the endowment, combined with gifts to the college that do not get rolled into the endowment and are instead immediately diverted toward expenses, adds another $13 million, bringing to the total to covering 30% of the annual operating costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All of this is to say that significant percentages of students at these schools (and I highly doubt that the Ivy Leagues are unique in this area . . . if anything, the percentage of students receiving aid is probably higher at the Ivy Leagues than most other private universities) are not receiving financial aid and are paying full sticker price (either having them/their parents cut full checks or taking out loans).
In FY2018, the average Carl was graduating with $20,063 in debt. Higher than four of your Ivy League examples, lower than three. And that doesn't account for the fact that your FY2015 examples were certainly higher come 2018, the year of the Carleton numbers.

https://d31kydh6n6r5j5.cloudfront.ne...ugust_2017.pdf

My point holds.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Right.

As an example that neither does nor ever would occur in the real world. Thus, a completely pointless 'example'.

In the specific case of Carleton, the endowment provided $35,000,000 in FY2018 alone. That's more than Winona State's entire endowment. The earnings off the endowment, combined with gifts to the college that do not get rolled into the endowment and are instead immediately diverted toward expenses, adds another $13 million, bringing to the total to covering 30% of the annual operating costs.

In FY2018, the average Carl was graduating with $20,063 in debt. Higher than four of your Ivy League examples, lower than three. And that doesn't account for the fact that your FY2015 examples were certainly higher come 2018, the year of the Carleton numbers.

https://d31kydh6n6r5j5.cloudfront.ne...ugust_2017.pdf

My point holds.
What point? I primarily took issue with you co-signing TexasLawyer's post, which read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
That list, while accurate, is misleading in that some of the schools with the highest tuition are the most affordable. Almost no one pays the sticker prices at these private schools.
You responded, "Precisely" to this post. But the data do not bear this out. In fact, the data suggest that a pretty significant percentage of students at these schools having the highest tuition are paying full sticker price. Certainly not "almost no one."

Moving on, my example is not pointless, and was explicitly described as an "extreme example" by me as a way to get a point across. Nowhere did I claim that this is the norm/how things operate in the real world.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:01 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
In the era of Covid, I would agree. Otherwise, I would not. Families easily able to afford those high tuitions are more than happy to pay the tab in order for their kids to get the quality education available at these schools.

A friend of my wife's has a kid at Dartmouth currently. He's taking two language classes online this quarter and the bill is $10K! They're not real happy about this.

My daughter went there, graduating in 2020. With the aid they offered, it was cheaper than any schools she was accepted at on the West coast. She received an excellent education, enabling her to get a job at Rockefeller University in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities