Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 09:48 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your idol, Robert Fulgham, is an ordained Unitarian Universalist minister and the holder of two university degrees.

The Unitarian Universalist Society is one of the most if not the most, progressive denominations in the world.

Guess he's pulling someone's leg.
It's still a great piece of short prose! It was in the handbook for leaders back when I first took on my daughter's Daisy (kindergarten Girl Scouts) troop.

“These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”

― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Old 12-15-2020, 10:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
If you didn't qualify for financial aid because of your parents making too much, but had parents which chose not to contribute to your education... you're in a bad position. ...
I was caring for a disabled parent the day I turned 18, and for the subsequent 32 yrs... Had to buy my parents a house to live in when I was age 19, they had lost their ranch to a slimey tax lawyer. I felt it was not a good idea to further burden them by asking for college money for Me!

Quote:
. Colleges expect parents who have the money to contribute.
Thus the current problem with unrealistic tuition, fees, housing. While supporting archaic tenured fossils as profs.

If colleges were providing value, rather than subsisting on entitlements... Their contribution to their students and our society, economy, and country would be honored and worthwhile.

As previously mentioned... as one who hired WW engineers for a Fortune 50.... I found my top candidates to be raised and educated outside of the USA. They were well trained and capable. A USA grad... you need to train, as they only 'Attend' college as a duty, not to glean applicable knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 03:49 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Why should parents be expected to contribute? It's nice for the student if they do, but the student is 18 or older. An adult. At that point the parents no longer owe the student anything, not even health insurance.
That's now how it works. Have you ever looked at a college? Parents with high incomes are expected to contribute whether you like it or not. If the parents don't make a high income, they get financial aid.

Where students struggle is when they have high income parents who don't want to contribute. The student does not qualify for financial aid and must take loans. Only if the student was fully separated from his/her parents would he get financial aid. Most parents and students are in the middle of the road where they don't actually kick the student out.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:53 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was caring for a disabled parent the day I turned 18, and for the subsequent 32 yrs... Had to buy my parents a house to live in when I was age 19, they had lost their ranch to a slimey tax lawyer. I felt it was not a good idea to further burden them by asking for college money for Me!

Thus the current problem with unrealistic tuition, fees, housing. While supporting archaic tenured fossils as profs.
Your posts don't make sense. Your previous post made it seem like your parents had a high income. This post makes it seem like you were supporting your parents. Which is it? You can't have both.

Tuition and fees are not unrealistic when you look at tuition rates in history. The 1900s were more affordable than ever but that was an unusual situation due to federal funding of higher education at various times (esp post wars).

Old 12-15-2020, 06:51 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry that you had such a disastrously off-putting experience. I wonder what "major" university you were trying, and wish you would have written a heated letter of complaint to the dean before leaving. I went to four years at a top college and was never once assigned something that a teacher had written.
Illinois state university..........

Old 12-15-2020, 08:07 PM

764 posts, read 392,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
IMO about 80% of college was a waste of time. A bachelors degree should take no more than 2 years tops to complete. The only exception I think could be a medical or engineering/science degree, but I can't really speak to that since I don't have a degree in those fields. I have a business/marketing B.S. degree and work a business/operations/sales job and I use very little of what I learned in college on a day to day basis. Now so many jobs require a bachelors degree which forces people to go to school and accumulate a huge amount of debt. IMO there should be a much bigger focus on OTJT instead of requiring a degree. Add that to the list of other broken systems in this country I guess...
I agree. College should be two years. Get right to the major you want to study for. The first year of college, now is basic math, history, science, a review of all high schools stuff, nothing to do with your major.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:07 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Where students struggle is when they have high income parents who don't want to contribute. The student does not qualify for financial aid and must take loans. Only if the student was fully separated from his/her parents would he get financial aid. Most parents and students are in the middle of the road where they don't actually kick the student out.
I was shocked how many high earning parents of my children's friends, made their kids taking students loans. These parents took vacations when I saved every cent for my kids education.

If there is loan forgiveness, I will be so p*ssed off. I paid for my kids education because my high earning parents refused to help at all.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I cannot imagine milking parents for college money. I was gone from home by age 16, had covered 100% of my expenses since age of maturity. ~age 12. I grew up on a dairy farm. No slackers. I know Zero peers whose parents paid or were expected to pay for college. Loans are cheap, interest is deferred to graduation. If a parent desired to pay for college
Wait for Jr to graduate, and pay off the loans. In the meantime keep your money working for you.

Even Walmart and mcdonald's pays college for employees... Jr should get a job!

Old 12-15-2020, 11:11 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
College is good for life. The college experience opens the door to the middle class. Going away to a four year LAC is best at this.

Not everyone wants to attend the colleges offered by employers. Online college is great for certain people - older students, students who may relocate, mater's degrees, etc.

18-25-year-olds who want to enter the middle class or above should apply to a brick and mortar school. They should learn about self-discipline and concentration. They should learn the joy of reading.

Also, they should avoid places such as the University of Pheonix, where 18% or fewer students actually graduate.

The US government should not permit loans to schools that graduate less than one-quarter of their students.

Talk about a waste of money and ripping off well-intentioned first-generation students - really - what a total waste of money.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:02 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Can someone tell me where the typical college that spent only 13 hours studying is?
168 hours in a week. If we assume 8 hours per night of sleeping, that leaves 112 hours of wakefulness per week. The hours quoted in the OP add up to 64, which leaves 48 hours that need to be accounted for. Surely we could assume half of these to be used up either going to class, or in transport, etc. That still leaves 24, which perhaps might be devoted to meals/errands/miscellaneous tasks of daily living, but, I would like to see analysis which leaves no time unaccounted for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities