Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,528 times

Advertisements

I suggest using a somewhat different metric, e.g., select a school where your SAT or ACT scores put you in the highest possible ranking to start, ideally top 10% or higher. I'm of the opinion that too much is made about "prestige" in undergraduate education. Delete the world class Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton etc. cohort of colleges from this discussion (which collectively represent a very small slice of the population AND require either legacy status, wealth or extraordinary abilities not common to most of us) and its not terribly important where you go - how well you do is the defining parameter. JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 01:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,743 times
If you are looking for a job in a field that is competitive with upper level salaries, those employers know what schools reflect a stronger educational challenge vs. those that are easy. The GPA DOES matter, but that being said....a 3.4,3.5 at Boston University far outweighs the 3.9/4.0 of USF. Of the schools you mentioned, I would suggest you go the BU or BC!!! Personally, BU would be my choice. BC is an outstanding school as well, however.

If you are not looking to challenge yourself in your career options, okay...then I would suppose not challenging yourself in school selection to assure a higher GPA would be fine, if that's what you really prefer. Otherwise, as I said....top level employers who are hiring applicants routinely from those top notch schools...they know what those GPA's from harder schools equate to when comparing to an easier school curriculum and grading scale. Think it through...where do you want to work? Where will you be applying for your final career choices...what do you want out of what you are being educated for? It's really a no-brainer!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,704 times
Most accredited universities are challenging. There is a difference between research vs non-competitive institutions; which basically means the university itself focuses on research and innovations. Professors at these schools rarely teach lower division courses as they are researching!

You can still get a quality education at a non research, non competitive school; and that school can be very hard. I wouldn't focus on the average GPA at a university because in the end, YOU have to earn the GPA you desire to have, regardless of where you decide to attend.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,455 times
Ratemyprofessor.com will raise your gpa higher than an easy school or adderall!!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
There is no hardline drawn between "Good" and "easier" when it comes to colleges.

Some good schools are "easy" academically but hard to get into and vice versa.

All that "challenging yourself" sounds good and dandy but at the end of the day getting a job and getting into a grad school is about business. And the bottom line is that many competitive jobs and schools use GPA as a cut off point to review applications.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM

128 posts, read 130,141 times
The "challenge yourself"is complete BS in my opinion. They will not compare the GPA of an engineering major to Enlish majors. You can't tell them that you just went there to "challenge yourself" and that's why your GPA is lower. You're not gonna be in the same pool, obviously. Just because it's Harvard or Standford, the material is gonna change. They all still teach the same thing. Look at how U.S news and others get their rankings. Pretty much nothing of it actually determines how "hard" a school is. BTW, since when is it the entire school? It's the professors.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by econkid89 View Post
What do employers prefer?
For example, pretend there are 2 people with similar qualities and the only distinction between them is there GPA.
One received a 2.9 from NYU-Stern (8th in the nation for business)
versus 3.9 from the South Florida University (90th in the nation)

What is "better"?
The 3.9 is better.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by econkid89 View Post
Wow good point.
Now I am confushed. Should I stay at the easy USF and get a high GPA or transfer to Boston College, NYU and get a lower gpa.
hmmmmmm
BC is a great school as USF NYU do not know, also
living in Boston is neat however it does get cold! Think of the job you want
and what beside hard or easy each does offer. I grew up in Boston and
live in Fla however each has the plus and the minus. Maybe chart and
do an excel of the good and bad of each school. Now we also are in bad times so factor that in also. Why would you get a lower GPA at BC just work harder for the job you want!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,985 times
Not sure why there's the assumption that classes in a "better" school will necessarily be harder.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
Really good employers will bypass both types of applicants in favor of one with a high GPA from a good/hard school. There are enough of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities