Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM

133 posts, read 498,495 times

Advertisements

My GPA is sitting at around a 3.4 or 3.5 right now. I have no interest in healthcare or education as a career, and can't really see myself doing anything in particular after college. I looked into the actuarial field but I'm not too great with the "learn it yourself" approach. Accounting wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to take 8 million other business courses that sound insanely boring Chemistry wouldn't be too bad, but I'd need a year of physics, which I know would hurt my gpa a bit. I know everyone says not to worry about the gpa, but if I'm coming out of college with say, a 3.0, and there are 20 others with a 3.5, I'm going to be at a disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,349,893 times
I see where you're coming from, but you would have limitless options with a math degree. As far as the year of physics, I highly doubt you would have much trouble because you've already had calculus. I think the only issues would be with the higher level physics courses and you wouldn't really need to take any of those.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,893 times
I'm a parent of severall, one college age now. I strongly recommend staying in school even if you go to part time. I agree w/the previous poster that inertia may take over your life (with regard to education) if you stop school. It is incredibly difficult logistically to return to school as an adult, particularly if you have a full time "consuming" job, marriage, and/or children.

From experience w/the one daught of college age -- she was in a similar place, no idea what to major in, and felt pressured by this uncertainty. In her particular case, I told her to get the Gen Ed's done (did) and see what interested her.....didn't happen, except for Antrhropology (!) and Sociology (to some extent). Loved linguistics. She was " interested" in her studies, but nothing was leading to career thinking.

I took out the college catalog, picked about 8 majors (she didn't want to be a teacher or in health care PERIOD, so I respected that, of course) -- told her to read thru all of them, talk to people/profs at her school, and if all those choices tanked, we'd pick another 8 and go thru those.

Meanwhile, she got a part time "temp" job working at a trade show and found she LOVES talking to "strangers" about selling products (who knew, we all thought she was very shy), and is now majoring in Communications with a Business minor and an "arts" minor (which gets her a tuition break).

So, I guess what I'm saying is.....stay in and try to find a part time job in SOME field that interests you...even a little. This will help your direction and find your interests/abilities and increase your confidence to boot.

There's a lot of hype out there about "knowing what you want to do with your life" and I think it's overblown and absurd. Get a reasonably usable degree (or even "English" ... I just worked at a major newspaper and EVERYONE had a degree in "English", very few "journalism").

The State U at state rate will reduce your future loan liability. Fifty thou is an awful lot if you go to a State U, work, and get state rate, live off campus.

Stay in!!!

Last edited by Sailaway50; 05-22-2008 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-22-2008, 07:33 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,773 times
Default Fun Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
This will probably end up being longer than I want it to be, so I apologize in advance .

I just graduated from a community college and planned on transferring to a state school this fall, but due to financial reasons, cannot transfer until at least winter semester. I plan on going back to the community college for the fall semester while continuing to work two part time jobs. My concern is that I have no direction. I have taken several math courses (as high as they teach at my CC anyways), a few biology courses, and all the gen ed's I need for my BA or BS. The only courses I would need to take after transferring are my major and minor courses. This is the problem. I don't feel as though I can continue much farther in the math courses (maybe it's a confidence issue?), and don't really care to learn much more about biology, or chemistry, or any other field for that matter. I'm not entirely sure that college is the way for me to go at this point. I feel as though I am just wasting credits. I know many employers require a BS in pretty much anything to get a job, so I know that permanently dropping out isn't the way to go, but getting a degree in say, Sociology or something doesn't seem financially responsible. I'm already in debt from my AA degree, and will end up around 50k in the hole after I finish the last few years of my BS. So, I guess my question is, should I keep going with my math degree (even though I know my gpa won't be much more than a B- if I do), or should I pursue the seemingly worthless liberal arts degree just to "get a degree". They seem to be more interdisciplinary, which might be good for me (I can't seem to fall in love with any subject). I could also take a semester off and just work, but I'm finding that I go crazy by not taking summer courses .
Now what were we saying about Sociology? Actually, its a good choice considering the world markets are changing to a more service oriented setting, and regardless of your choice a B.S. will net you much more lifetime dollars. I myself while in undergraduate was first a Computer Science major, then Clinical Lab Technician (bad idea), and finally Sociology. It isn't for everybody but happened to be my calling. The average undergraduate will change his/her mind at least 3 times...so you have no strikes as of yet! If you research the major job posting sites, you'll be surprised what jobs are available to a Sociology degree (no not just non profit either). Its also a good stepping point to a Masters in almost anything. All this aside, the longer you work the more difficult it will be to finish your degree, and in the near future it will be as you said, vital to have a decent living. Many of my friends found out that a semester of random classes helped them decide, and it doesn't set you back much. If you want to take some time off, do some heavy research, maybe job shadow or visit your school and ask for employment statistics regarding your chosen field, but most of all don't quit!

Have fun!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
michimaize,
I'm active on another BB that focuses on College issues (I stick to the parents forums there) and there's a Mom who always talks up her son's Americorps experience. AmeriCorps Her son did this during a gap year and she has said that it gave him a focus for his future, helped pay some bills and the volunteering aspect was incredible. I think it's difficult going into a Junior year still not knowing quite what major to go into and not being able to afford to dabble in interesting classes. Perhaps Americorps would help you figure that out.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
michimaize,
I'm active on another BB that focuses on College issues (I stick to the parents forums there) and there's a Mom who always talks up her son's Americorps experience. AmeriCorps Her son did this during a gap year and she has said that it gave him a focus for his future, helped pay some bills and the volunteering aspect was incredible. I think it's difficult going into a Junior year still not knowing quite what major to go into and not being able to afford to dabble in interesting classes. Perhaps Americorps would help you figure that out.
I have also heard that Americorps can be a good thing.

As far as the "dabbling", most all colleges require this "Gen Ed courses" curriculum Fr and Soph year, which is supposed to help them find an interest, or at least broaden their knowledge/education. I don't think it's something only those who can afford it do, it's required in most Bachelor's programs. Some parents resent having to pay for this, particularly for the kids who "know what they want to do." The only programs I know of that don't are some very heavy undergrad pre-med and science/engineering majors. Still, they can't get away from at least some liberal arts courses. This is how most of the kids end up taking anthropology, women's studies, art history, soc, etc. Usually you have to choose subjects from science, social studies, arts, etc., in every area, before you can declare a major.

That is true in State U's in our state, anyway. It may not be true in all states. That's one reason kids go to comm college...why pay top, or even in state rate, for classes your first two years, which are "requried" and not (directly) relevant to your major.

I really want to emphasize that I know so many successful kids who had no clue going into junior year. It's so important, I feel, not to be stalled in your education by that and realize that for some young people, IT IS NORMAL, and that you can still successfully finish college and find a career if you are at that point junor year. There is always summer school or continuing to supplement with transferable classes from comm college to get this done, if you change majors.

I also know many kids who thought they got the "wrong" degree, but ended up working at places where a Master's was at least partially financed by the company, and went on to do that without incurring major, or any, expense after serving their apprenticeship with that company. It's hard for kids to think long range sometimes.

Last edited by Sailaway50; 05-23-2008 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Sailaway, I understand how the gen ed credits work. My oldest graduated from college last year and my next one is a rising college Junior. What I meant was that if you don't know what you are doing when you go into college (and most students don't) you can go ahead and take those gen ed classes and hopefully you will be able to figure something from them that appeals enough to lead you to a major.

However, if you don't know what you are doing by Junior year (and many colleges do ask you declare a major by this point) then it will be hard to graduate within four years and get all the classes needed in your major. My son decided to declare an English major at the end of Freshman year and has to carefully choose every class now because he has no room in his schedule for anything except classes required for his major and minor. His upcoming study abroad is all English classes.

My daughter went into college knowing that she wanted to major in Education. Her college required her to double major and she had a total of two classes in her four years of college that were not required for one of those majors. Slipping an abroad in there required her to take two classes on-line during the summer.

I think it's hard to drop out and then get back in, but for a motivated student it can be a time of transformation. My husband started college right after HS as a music major. When he was into his second semester he realized that he really didn't want to major in music (academics weren't that great either) but didn't know what else to do. He took a year off and worked, went back to a community college and got an associates degree in drafting and then decided to go back to school full time. We were married by then. He went back to college as a full time Junior and got his degree in two years in engineering and graduated magna *** laude.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Sailaway, I understand how the gen ed credits work. My oldest graduated from college last year and my next one is a rising college Junior. What I meant was that if you don't know what you are doing when you go into college (and most students don't) you can go ahead and take those gen ed classes and hopefully you will be able to figure something from them that appeals enough to lead you to a major.

However, if you don't know what you are doing by Junior year (and many colleges do ask you declare a major by this point) then it will be hard to graduate within four years and get all the classes needed in your major. My son decided to declare an English major at the end of Freshman year and has to carefully choose every class now because he has no room in his schedule for anything except classes required for his major and minor. His upcoming study abroad is all English classes.

My daughter went into college knowing that she wanted to major in Education. Her college required her to double major and she had a total of two classes in her four years of college that were not required for one of those majors. Slipping an abroad in there required her to take two classes on-line during the summer.

I think it's hard to drop out and then get back in, but for a motivated student it can be a time of transformation. My husband started college right after HS as a music major. When he was into his second semester he realized that he really didn't want to major in music (academics weren't that great either) but didn't know what else to do. He took a year off and worked, went back to a community college and got an associates degree in drafting and then decided to go back to school full time. We were married by then. He went back to college as a full time Junior and got his degree in two years in engineering and graduated magna *** laude.
Thanks for the input. I wish young people had a chance to listen to everyone's stories; there are so many different journeys that can be made which will end up good, or even great, in the long run.

Congratulations for success as a parent. It's pretty complicated these days, compared to when I grew up, getting them educated, etc. Lots of slippery slopes to climb.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
My GPA is sitting at around a 3.4 or 3.5 right now. I have no interest in healthcare or education as a career, and can't really see myself doing anything in particular after college. I looked into the actuarial field but I'm not too great with the "learn it yourself" approach. Accounting wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to take 8 million other business courses that sound insanely boring Chemistry wouldn't be too bad, but I'd need a year of physics, which I know would hurt my gpa a bit. I know everyone says not to worry about the gpa, but if I'm coming out of college with say, a 3.0, and there are 20 others with a 3.5, I'm going to be at a disadvantage.
1. Get your stuff prepared and finish up at a 4-year college. The debt will be minor if you are in a reasonable field.
2. Consider finance and other business fields where you can use math but not major in it. Talk to a career counselor. The Chem angle is good too.
3. I would caution you about actuarial work...I am one....the exam process is brutal in that it's curved and most of the people taking the exams was a top 1% in their class type. Perfect math scores on ACT and SAT are not uncommon in this field.
4. You can list your gpa separately for your 4-year college and Juco. I would think that working and studying would help any employer view your gpa with more understanding and its not that big of a deal anyway.
5. Many of the math and science fields have A LOT of foreign students in them because American kids are somewhat scared of taking hard sciences (math etc.) Your fluency in english and in some cases security clearances will give you a leg up.

When you are 60 and retired and have a pension and got your kids through school and have a decent house....you will shudder to think that you almost didnt finish your degree. It sounds like you have some aptitude for numbers etc. and that pays $$$....you are close, keep going.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Get your stuff prepared and finish up at a 4-year college. The debt will be minor if you are in a reasonable field.
2. Consider finance and other business fields where you can use math but not major in it. Talk to a career counselor. The Chem angle is good too.
3. I would caution you about actuarial work...I am one....the exam process is brutal in that it's curved and most of the people taking the exams was a top 1% in their class type. Perfect math scores on ACT and SAT are not uncommon in this field.
4. You can list your gpa separately for your 4-year college and Juco. I would think that working and studying would help any employer view your gpa with more understanding and its not that big of a deal anyway.
5. Many of the math and science fields have A LOT of foreign students in them because American kids are somewhat scared of taking hard sciences (math etc.) Your fluency in english and in some cases security clearances will give you a leg up.

When you are 60 and retired and have a pension and got your kids through school and have a decent house....you will shudder to think that you almost didnt finish your degree. It sounds like you have some aptitude for numbers etc. and that pays $$$....you are close, keep going.
Totally correct, great advice.

Last paragraph, every kid should read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities