Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,366 times

Advertisements

After getting a horrible F on my mid term, i have no hope of recovery from my test including the final exam. At this point, i will be forced to payback my student loans and have no choice but to drop from college. My question is, what should i try next? Anyone have any good books or self teaching books for things like science, programming, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Don't quit so soon. I've known people that failed a class in college and were able to retake it and overcome. Heck, I dropped a class even past the drop date and took it again the next semester w/ a different teacher (and had a MUCH better experience).

1. How many hours are you taking this semester?

2. What year are you in?

3. How many hours do you already have?

4. Even if you do fail the one class how are you doing in your others?

5. What was your gpa last semester?

6. What gpa are you going to roughly finish w/ this semester?

If your gpa is pulled down below a certain point you will be put on suspension. All that means is that the next semester you need to pull it back up and then you will be fine. If your still enrolled in school then there is no being forced to pay back your student loans just yet. Stop and think of the longterm. You can still stay in college and be just fine.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM

1. How many hours are you taking this semester?
6 credit hours
2. What year are you in?
3. How many hours do you already have?
13+3 = 16 credit hours, but 9 of those don't count
4. Even if you do fail the one class how are you doing in your others?
I have no problem with failing, but my financial aid does. I can't afford to go to school without it. My english class i have a High-C
5. What was your gpa last semester?
6. What gpa are you going to roughly finish w/ this semester?
with only taking 6 credits, 2 classes, im sure its sub 2.0. When i was taking 14 credits it was easier to keep up my GPA.

My student loan requires me to keep a 2.5 GPA. Anything lower then that, my student loan financing is cut off.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Since you need to get it up ASAP see if there are any fast track courses you can take. It might have to be at a local community college and most are in the real estate field. They are typically two weekends. If they will transfer and go towards an elective credit then that will help get you some hours under your belt as well.

Is it the English class your thinking you may fail? No matter if it is or not work to get that one up. There is still plenty of time this semester.

Check with on your loan to see how many days/months until the payments start if your gpa goes below a 2.5 or your no longer in school. It might just be long enough that another semester to get it up will keep you from having to make any payments or just 1 or 2. Right now your going to have to pay it back no matter what so you might as well take advantage of it and stay in school. Once your out and not going at all it is MUCH harder to get back in. You start accumulating more bills and living expenses that make it harder to afford to go even w/ any kind of financial aid.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM

205 posts, read 821,000 times
See if they have any scholarships that will cover you to get your GPA back up. Dropping a class, or even getting an F isn't the end of college for you.

I had a scholarship for a 3.0 GPA and up, I got a 2.8 one semester, and was given one term to get it back up, so I took all easy classes, and was back to my scholarship.

You can also take classes at a community college and transfer them to a four year school.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrocks View Post
I had a scholarship for a 3.0 GPA and up, I got a 2.8 one semester, and was given one term to get it back up, so I took all easy classes, and was back to my scholarship.

You can also take classes at a community college and transfer them to a four year school.
I'll have to look at my promissory note, but i thought it said i was cut off with no exceptions, if im lower then 2.5.

Thanks guys

Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
After getting a horrible F on my mid term, i have no hope of recovery from my test including the final exam. At this point, i will be forced to payback my student loans and have no choice but to drop from college. My question is, what should i try next?
What you should try next is to get an A or at least a B (in what ever class you received the F in) on your final and you still have a chance to receive at least a B in English. That will keep your GPA up. You don't have to begin repayment of student loans until six months after you leave school, and they are still relatively easy to differ if you can prove that you can't make payments.

You know, you are not supposed to abandon ship unless you are absolutely positive that you have exhausted all possibilities of keeping the boat afloat, and it is literally going down. Right now, your ship has only sprung a leak and you want to bail out? Stick with it, study hard and see what happens at the end of the semester.

Also, your financial aid should be good for the entire year; i.e., fall and spring semesters, and most schools extend a grace period of one semester to get back on track before they take action. Believe me, the last thing that they want to do is not receive your tuition money.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 PM

305 posts, read 1,729,243 times
I recommend talking to your professor about the bad grade you got; you may be able to do extra credit, write an extra paper or do a special project, to get your grade back up. It really depends on your professor's temperament: some are very open to helping students, some not so much.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBebe View Post
I recommend talking to your professor about the bad grade you got; you may be able to do extra credit, write an extra paper or do a special project, to get your grade back up. It really depends on your professor's temperament: some are very open to helping students, some not so much.
Nah i've already asked my teacher.

quote from the teacher herself, if I put in 100% for everything, including your final exam, you end up with 74%. I'm not giving up, im only preparing. That's what this thread is about.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,815 times
How is a 74 failing? I thought that was a C?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities