Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a Biochemistry major, in my junior year. I originally chose my major because I wanted to go to the health field, but now I'm starting to lean away from it , I really just don't want to go into so much debt, and with the world economy going downhill, I don't think I can justify going 400k into debt anymore .

I'm quite unhappy in my major, I don't enjoy my classes and I don't enjoy the careers it can give me. I'm quite lost in terms of what kind of work I will want to do, and I'm quite lost in terms of whether I should add a major, finish my major, change. Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM

305 posts, read 1,729,849 times
If you're not interested in changing majors, know that you don't have to go into the field of your major. Many places of employment are just happy that you have a four year degree, and don't care what it's in. There are also often many job opportunities that relate indirectly to a major that you may not have considered because you were so focused on the health field.

I'd suggest going to the career center and seeing what internships you can do this year and next, to prepare you for life after college and see what types of jobs you would be interested in. I'd also recommend talking to an advisor to see if it would be possible to switch majors; many of them are smaller and easier to do in a year or two - my husband's major was mechanical engineering, 180 units so he didn't have any time to take classes outside his major, but my major was communication, which was only 65 units so I had a lot of time to take electives and fun other classes. If you only have a year and a half left, there might still be time to switch to something else.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
At this point, I'd check my options. What classes did you enjoy? What would it take to change majors to that area? Even if it takes going 5 or 6 years in order to graduate with a changed majors, it would be worth it compared to working in a career you don't like.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
I love languages, I speak Spanish and Portuguese(not perfectly, only been studying for around 6-7 months). I would like a field, maybe in business or travel related.. that is my real passion.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 01-06-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,374 times
You might consider a job in sales of science-related products. Many of my students who finished their bio, biochem, or chem degrees but did not push on to medical school have found reasonable and interesting jobs in sales of medical/scientific products. I see that you're in FL, so your sales beat could be in FL or the whole Southwest (Texas to California).

On the other hand, science writing is also a common career path for someone who opts out of a health track and loves languages. If you have the skills, time to get the experience before you graduate.

Talk with your adviser, I'm sure between the two of you, something will crop up that is suited for you. Biochem training opens up a lot of possibilities that are not necessarily biochem or health-related, a good biochemist has a sufficiently analytically-trained mined that you could go into many different fields. I had one student end up working in the Smithsonian doing art restoration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities